Daphne LTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I thought that Daphne went to a NexEdge system, but I turned the scanner on this morning and there they were on the 800 Mhz LTR system? Are they doing a simulcast or did the have similar problems to Fairhope and go back to their old system?

Thanks.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Baldwin County is a mess if you ask me. Some on UHF analog , Some on VHF analog , Some on P25 Phase I, Some on P25 Phase II and some on 800 mhz Analog, And some on UHF Nexedge. I guess this is what happens when you have the largest county in the state as far as land mass. Everyone like to be the boss. I hope they figure it out. By the way I think the audio patch to vhf sounds bad that they are using.

garys

Premium Subscriber
If you look around the country, it's not that unusual. Look across the bay at Mobile, although the city seems to be about to migrate to the county system.

Where my son lived in NJ, every town seems to have it's own trunk system. Motorola UHF trunk systems were popular in the area. His town had one with encrypted PD traffic. The next town over had a P25 system with no encryption. Another town had UHF analog conventional. The NJSP has a Motorola Smartnet analog trunk with three zones.

One of the few good things about eastern MA is that most public safety is on UHF analog. A few cities have moved the P25, but only small number are encrypted. The MA State Police run a multi zone Smartnet system, although the western part of the state is upgrading to P25. No encryption... yet.

From a scanner geek standpoint Baldwin and Mobile Counties are pretty interesting. There is no LTR public safety up my way and almost no EDACS. The only flies in the ointment down here are encryption on the Baldwin County trunk and Pro Voice on the Mobile County system. Now that I have the correct frequencies in the Mobile County EDACS simulcast site, I can actually hear the traffic! ;)

I hope that both Daphne and Fairhope stay on their systems.

dmmbutts

I had lunch recently with friend who works for the City of Daphne and I asked him about this. He said some fire and police had new radios but had no other information. Next time I am up that way and see a police car I will try to make it a point to look at the antennas to see if I can deduce anything. I tried to use DSD and an old scanner in which I had installed a discriminator tap but didn't have much luck decoding any voice. I have not experimented with this any more since Fairhope went back to their old VHF LTR.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I had lunch recently with friend who works for the City of Daphne and I asked him about this. He said some fire and police had new radios but had no other information. Next time I am up that way and see a police car I will try to make it a point to look at the antennas to see if I can deduce anything. I tried to use DSD and an old scanner in which I had installed a discriminator tap but didn't have much luck decoding any voice. I have not experimented with this any more since Fairhope went back to their old VHF LTR.

I didn't get close enough to any Daphne PD vehicles to look at the antennas. Not necessarily a bad thing. :D I only saw one Fairhope unit and it was an unmarked car on a traffic stop so I was by it almost before I saw it. I did see a Fairhope Public Works truck with two antennas. One was high band and the other looked like it was 800 Mhz, but that was all I saw.

Both Daphne and Fairhope PDs came in very clearly on their analog LTR systems. Daphne is, as expected, busier than Fairhope so there was more radio traffic.

A couple of things I didn't hear that maybe you can help me understand. I heard no radio traffic from the FDs on either their VHF channels or the 700 Mhz trunk. FDs in general are slower than PDs, so that's not that surprising. Still I expected to hear something here and there. I also didn't hear any radio traffic from MedStar on their UHF system or the 700 Mhz trunk. I know that many systems dispatch via page or even cell phone to individual units, but I heard nothing regarding en route or transports. They might be using some sort of in vehicle computer system for that which would explain it.

What I found even more odd was that I had pretty much the same experience with the Mobile City system. Plenty of PD traffic, but I don't think I heard one dispatch on the FD Talk Groups. I got to do most of my listening on Friday evening when it was warm and rainy. I would have expected more FD/EMS traffic, but there wasn't any.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I didn't get close enough to any Daphne PD vehicles to look at the antennas. Not necessarily a bad thing. :D I only saw one Fairhope unit and it was an unmarked car on a traffic stop so I was by it almost before I saw it. I did see a Fairhope Public Works truck with two antennas. One was high band and the other looked like it was 800 Mhz, but that was all I saw.

Both Daphne and Fairhope PDs came in very clearly on their analog LTR systems. Daphne is, as expected, busier than Fairhope so there was more radio traffic.

A couple of things I didn't hear that maybe you can help me understand. I heard no radio traffic from the FDs on either their VHF channels or the 700 Mhz trunk. FDs in general are slower than PDs, so that's not that surprising. Still I expected to hear something here and there. I also didn't hear any radio traffic from MedStar on their UHF system or the 700 Mhz trunk. I know that many systems dispatch via page or even cell phone to individual units, but I heard nothing regarding en route or transports. They might be using some sort of in vehicle computer system for that which would explain it.

What I found even more odd was that I had pretty much the same experience with the Mobile City system. Plenty of PD traffic, but I don't think I heard one dispatch on the FD Talk Groups. I got to do most of my listening on Friday evening when it was warm and rainy. I would have expected more FD/EMS traffic, but there wasn't any.

Unless you have a scanner capable of TDMA decoding, you wont hear anything but Gulf Shores and Orange Beach on the 700 system.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Unless you have a scanner capable of TDMA decoding, you wont hear anything but Gulf Shores and Orange Beach on the 700 system.

Ahhh, that explains it. Maybe I'll have to get a PSR 800. I do get both Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, but nothing else.

Have MedStar and the VFDs all moved?

dmmbutts

I still hear Baldwin Central on VHF but I assume they are also on TDMA at this point. For some reason, I hear a good amount from Gulf Shores but never seem to pickup anything from Orange Beach PD, just Fire/EMS .

garys

Premium Subscriber
I still hear Baldwin Central on VHF but I assume they are also on TDMA at this point. For some reason, I hear a good amount from Gulf Shores but never seem to pickup anything from Orange Beach PD, just Fire/EMS .

That was my experience with Ocean Beach as well. Gulf Shores was very busy. The only VHF activity I heard consistently was Robertsdale PD.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
Ahhh, that explains it.
Have MedStar and the VFDs all moved?

The old UHF Medstar Repeater has been turned into a UHF Ham Radio Repeater and moved to Bay Minette . So Medstar is digital and will be staying there.

As far as fire they are patched to the 700 mhz and vhf. The patch audio sounds real bad on the vhf.

East Fire 155.385
West Fire 155.550
Centeral Fire 154.295
North Fire 154.130
South Fire 154.385
Mutual Aide 160.200
Fairhope Fire 154.445
Foley Fire 155.580 and 154.250
GulfShores 154.965
Robertsdale 155.700
Bay Minette Fire Page Only 159.180
Daphne 154.160
Orange Beach 154.325.

Again to recap All Fire Patch to VHF from the 700 mhz Trunked Sites.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Got it, thanks.

The old UHF Medstar Repeater has been turned into a UHF Ham Radio Repeater and moved to Bay Minette . So Medstar is digital and will be staying there.

As far as fire they are patched to the 700 mhz and vhf. The patch audio sounds real bad on the vhf.

East Fire 155.385
West Fire 155.550
Centeral Fire 154.295
North Fire 154.130
South Fire 154.385
Mutual Aide 160.200
Fairhope Fire 154.445
Foley Fire 155.580 and 154.250
GulfShores 154.965
Robertsdale 155.700
Bay Minette Fire Page Only 159.180
Daphne 154.160
Orange Beach 154.325.

Again to recap All Fire Patch to VHF from the 700 mhz Trunked Sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.