Texas Parks & Wildlife - Game Warden's

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Anyone know what has happened to Game Warden's? they used to be on 159.2700 under various PL tones. I have 159.2700 scanning in the PSR-600 in Open mode and the ONLY thing I hear are three repeaters kicking off CWID. I have heard no Voice, Analog or Digital in a few months. I normally can hear the Lewisville, Clarksville and Frankline Co. repeaters just fine. I am hearing Park Rangers at Bonham SP and Eisenhower SP on 151.3400 Simplex, but absolutely NO Game Wardens.

Thanks.

wilcomister

They still use them hear occasionally, but they primarily run all their radio traffic on DPS channels. They have "Paul William XXXX" callsigns.

WM

Ensnared

Elusive Ones

Anyone know what has happened to Game Warden's? they used to be on 159.2700 under various PL tones. I have 159.2700 scanning in the PSR-600 in Open mode and the ONLY thing I hear are three repeaters kicking off CWID. I have heard no Voice, Analog or Digital in a few months. I normally can hear the Lewisville, Clarksville and Frankline Co. repeaters just fine. I am hearing Park Rangers at Bonham SP and Eisenhower SP on 151.3400 Simplex, but absolutely NO Game Wardens.

Thanks.

Yes, I've been wondering this myself. Here in Waco, I heard them on one occasion several years ago, but not lately. I noticed that the RR DB does not list any tones with them. I also cannot understand why they haven't started using digital.

nd5y

There are no tones listed because most of the 159.27 repeaters have no tone on the output.
It used to be that there was no tone on the input either, the repeaters were selected by dialing a 3 digit DTMF tone. Some or all of them apparently have PL now.

I haven't heard any traffic on the repeaters around here lately. I have heard game wardens several times recently on 151.355 PL 110.9 or NAC 111.

Years ago the local TPWD office in Wichta Falls used 151.415 simplex a lot. I haven't heard anything on that one sice I have been back here.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Everyone, Tom I'll Monitor the 151.3550 repeater and see what pop's up. I know that was used in Southern Texas an awful lot while 159.270 was used in North Texas. As for the tones;

141.3 Was the Grapevine tower, 97.4 Was Franklin Co., 162.2 Was the Clarksville tower and 67.0 I believe was Emory.

The DB does have a list of Frequencies with tones here but I suspect this is going to be outdated considering I'm not hearing activity on these.

I believe the Game Warden for Cooke, Grayson, Fannin, Lamar, Delta and Hunt was Ranger McGee, 2305. but when I spoke to him last, he didn't even have Local P25 channels programmed in his XTS5000.

Again, thanks!

nd5y

151.355 is simplex, not a repeater. Some areas also have repeaters on 151.295 and 159.345. I haven't heard a 151.295 repeater for around 20 years and wasn't able to ID the users on it. The only 159.345 repeaters I have heard are at state parks but some are nowhere near a park.
I have also heard what may have been game wardens on 151.31 simplex PL 110.9 and NAC 111 several times in the past few years.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I believe the Game Warden for Cooke, Grayson, Fannin, Lamar, Delta and Hunt was Ranger McGee, 2305. but when I spoke to him last, he didn't even have Local P25 channels programmed in his XTS5000.

You can search the game wardens for any county here, in the drop down box. The link shows the Comal County game wardens.

I quickly checked Fannin, and McGee is the Warden there.

I haven't been hearing much lately but the analog CWIDs also. I would say it has been about a month since I've heard any voice, but then again, they love their cell phones. I really here them on radios a lot on holiday weekends when they love to police the state waterways around here.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Here in the San Antonio area I have heard them on the 159.270 doing LP and DL checks but they are calling Austin. "Austin 5xxx" and that traffic is only every once and awhile I have seen Wardens in the Bexar County area with P7100 radios so they do have access to the San Antonio/Bexar County Provoice system. The Comal County guys are on the Sheriff channels, have heard them working Canyon lake on a boat on CCSO Ch. 2

SCPD

QRT
You can search the game wardens for any county here, in the drop down box. The link shows the Comal County game wardens.

I quickly checked Fannin, and McGee is the Warden there.

I haven't been hearing much lately but the analog CWIDs also. I would say it has been about a month since I've heard any voice, but then again, they love their cell phones. I really here them on radios a lot on holiday weekends when they love to police the state waterways around here.

McGee's a good dude, if you go to my website his truck is featured in the scrolling web banner. I've even be gifted with the opportunity of messing with his radio. BUT Still NO game warden communications on 159.2700 in analog or digital, back over the summer, you couldn't shut them up. I was commonly hearing dispatchers in Austin, Ft. Worth and Houston and could hear repeaters from Mineral Wells to Texarkana. I have plugged in ALL the TPWD frequencies listed in the DB and have heard nothing except local Park Rangers on 151.3400 CSQ. I suspect 151.3550 is the narrow equivalent to 151.3400. More so, I noticed in the DB that the long list of TPWD frequencies that have "Various" in the call sign box actually DO NOT exist in the FCC data anymore.

My next idea is to check TFS, TXDOT frequencies or 159.2100/159.2175 for new NAC codes such as the one TABC is using. It would make sense that Game Wardens might have moved to TXDPS channels as those already use separate Talk Groups for THP and CVE. on the same frequency.

Still investigating, will update when they are found ....

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
You might check out 151.2275, 151.24250,151.43750,159.41250, added those to my Freescan file recently, but I don't think I've actually programmed the scanners with them yet, so I don't know if they are active. I would have added them after seeing them in Glenn Mitchell's weekly FCC license grant report.

SCPD

QRT
You might check out 151.2275, 151.24250,151.43750,159.41250, added those to my Freescan file recently, but I don't think I've actually programmed the scanners with them yet, so I don't know if they are active. I would have added them after seeing them in Glenn Mitchell's weekly FCC license grant report.

Interesting page - Thanks Ben!

will plug those in and see what's happening.

nd5y

A while back I heard a mixed mode converstation on 151.355. one unit was analog DPL 074 and the other was P25 NAC 111.
I don 't know if that means 074 replaced 110.9 or what. I haven't heard any more analog lately.
Today I heard 151.355 NAC 111 referred to as "5D".
Back in the old days 151.355 CSQ was channel 5. Maybe analog mode is 5A now.

If all the 159.27 repeaters have different PL tones now, then it probably isn't Channel 1 any more. I haven't heard any P25 on 159.27 so far.

A few years ago they added 151.1675 and 151.4075 to Cedar Hill http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=KJK657.
There are several licenses with tons of frequencies for statewide use listed at http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Parks_and_Wildlife_Department_(TX)#Statewide_FCC_Licenses. I don't know how many of those are actually used. Some of them have repeaters licensed in some areas.

Last edited:

FlashSWT

Down here the Game Wardens out in Harris, Brazoria and Galveston counties use the regional trunked system all the time. Might be something to consider for other parts of the state as well.

nd5y

Nothing has changed here.

159.27 is dead except for CW IDs.
There is a simplex base station licensed here on 151.415 (old Ch 2). I haven't heard it since the early 1990s before narrowbanding and digital so I don't even know what tone or NAC is used.

Every once in a while I hear game wardens on 151.355 NAC 111.
Every once in a loooong while I hear game wardens on DPS dispatch or county SO.

The most TPWD activity I hear is the local state park on 151.34 DPL 074.

This might be of interest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkG4xuVirWo There are a couple screen shots of radio programming software. Also check out the radio clipped to the bag in the backround at 2:01.

Last edited:

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Here in the San Antonio area just heard a Warden on the DPS SA channel 155.445, 154.695. Also on surrounding county channels especially where major lakes are. 159.270 is still randomly used around here for DL checks but rare. Honestly they have access to any channel they need in there area.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Was filling up with gas next to a Game Warden truck this morning, got a glance inside, had two mobile radios set up as well as a laptop. One looked like a Harris M7100(makes sense since the San Antonio/Bexar area system uses Harris) the other was the standard Motorola mobile I have seen in DPS units. Also he had an APX handheld on him.

Also here is a pic from the State Park Police Facebook of there setup..

Attachments

• State PP.jpg
    State PP.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,479
Status
Not open for further replies.