Langley AFB Comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

brueger

Feed Provider
I got a heads up this morning from a friend that he had not heard anything out of LAFBs TRS system in the last 24 hours. I set my scanner software (Win500) to record activity on that system as I had to go out. I was gone for three hours and there was not one "hit" during that time.

I emailed a very knowledgeable source and he said that the system had been "upgraded and everything is now encrypted."

Oh well, there goes another one!

Last edited:

brueger

Feed Provider
Just got word from my contact at LAFB - it's the entire base system, CE, Hospital, maintenance, fire, law enforcement - all of them that is on the trunk system.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Even if the entire system is encrypted, which very well be the case, you would still be hearing the encrypted voice channels with the scrambled voice packets. All these reports say that everyone is hearing "nothing" or "silence". There very well may be other changes to the system besides encryption.

The Langley AFB system was a Motorola system, but I wouldn't rule out a change over to a pure P25 system, maybe some new frequencies or even a move down to 380 MHz. Someone should search around a bit and see what might be up.

- Chris

Last edited:

Jim41

LAFB is now P25

The system has been changed to a P-25 system.
Reprogram your scanner and you will be in business.
Previous control channel frequencies are being used.
Talk group numbers have changed and will have to be reidentified. Old talk group numbers will not work. You will need to use a wildcard for talk groups in the interim.

Jim41

brueger

Feed Provider
Even if the entire system is encrypted, which very well be the case, you would still be hearing the encrypted voice channels with the scrambled voice packets. All these reports say that everyone is hearing "nothing" or "silence". There very well may be other changes to the system besides encryption.

The Langley AFB system was a Motorola system, but I wouldn't rule out a change over to a pure P25 system, maybe some new frequencies or even a move down to 380 MHz. Someone should search around a bit and see what might be up.

- Chris

Thanks Chris. I don't know why I didn't think of that????

Eugene

Is LAFB a fairly low power system. I have a BC396XT and have the scanner set for P25,, control channel only and have the CC's programmed in. Am not picking up anything, no CC, nothing. Now I only have a RS duck antenna so I may not be able to pick it up from Portsmouth. Are you all able to monitor w/o an outside antenna and if so...what am I doing wrong. Thnaks for the help.
Eugene KG4AVE

brueger

Feed Provider
Is LAFB a fairly low power system. I have a BC396XT and have the scanner set for P25,, control channel only and have the CC's programmed in. Am not picking up anything, no CC, nothing. Now I only have a RS duck antenna so I may not be able to pick it up from Portsmouth. Are you all able to monitor w/o an outside antenna and if so...what am I doing wrong. Thnaks for the help.
Eugene KG4AVE

Eugene,

Were you able to receive the LAFB TRS system before this past weekend when the switch was made to P25?

Eugene

Tell the truth I have not tried to listen to it until now......so I have no frame of reference. Have just gotten into listening to the local military bases/Shipyards...etc.

brueger

Feed Provider
LAFB

Tell the truth I have not tried to listen to it until now......so I have no frame of reference. Have just gotten into listening to the local military bases/Shipyards...etc.

Eugene,

I really doubt that you will get LAFB on your rubber ducky, You might even be hard pressed to get it with an outdoor antenna.

When VaBch went P25, I lost them on my outdoor. When Norfolk went P25, I have a difficult time with my rubber duck and I live in Hampton.

Brian

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
When I first moved to Newport news, I had trouble picking up Langley, so I think it would be a stretch getting anything in Portsmouth with a rubber ducky.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

kc4jgc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I'm certain the control tower is just high enough to reliably cover the.base and NASA. This allows system freqs to be used by another system relatively close without interference under normal conditions. Same deal with the newer P25 municipal systems. On 700-900 MHz, the minimum geographic separation is likely.75-100 miles; on 400 MHz a little more.

Brian, did you read my pm to you?

Eugene

Brian, et al: That's about what I figured. I actually get Hampton and NN with an outside antenna better than Suffolk. Go figure. I'll keep the frequencies in for whenever the next air show occurs ( maybe in 2016).

mikext

Langley

I am able to get Langley in my Vehicle while in Portsmouth using a external antenna also in the Wards Corner area of Norfolk.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Fyi while in Yorktown today the Ft Eustis system id has changed to 91c same as Langley and Langley is on this system tg are the same as the 400 system

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Notes from the trip Part 2 new Tg's
Site 1 Langley
16 ??
28 calling langley tower about taxing,
Site 2 Ft Eustis
114 ???
Data base has been updated

Status
Not open for further replies.