JPSO Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

car55

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
Nothing in the database is saying it is encrypted.

radioman316

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
As of March 1st at 0800 hours all of JPSO comms are encrypted.

are you sure??? because if New Orleans is in JP, then no, they are not encrypted because it got shot down months ago

Edit: YES, I am correct about NO. JPSO is encrypted iin the other towns of the parish though google "jefferson parrish encrypted radios" and you will see.

Last edited:

gpswx4cster

Jefferson Parish is separate from Orleans Parish(NOPD). It would not be in the database as it was put into place this morning. It is a sad day for us scanner listeners in Jefferson Parish. For the moment we still have Fire and EMS comms. But my source says that might end soon too.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Even Steven Segal's radio too?
Seagal's time with JPSO was heading for the crapper when Harry Lee died. It took a little bit but Normand managed to get rid of him in the fall of 2010 although the already filmed episodes continued. I understand that Seagal is now Joe Arpaio's (Maricopa Co., AZ) problem.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Hmm Seagal out in Green Bologna Tent City land... Anyway to get back on topic.... Anyone monitoring the JP comms for FD/EMS etc, if they go encrypted please let us know asap.

nx_2000

Premium Subscriber
Plaquemines Parish Sheriff will also be encrypted if it isn't already. JPSO's PIO and a radio tech came into the newsroom I work at last week and updated/reflashed our Motorola XTL radios to continue to hear JPSO dispatch post-encryption. We're out of luck with Plaquemines, though.

gpswx4cster

LSP is still in the clear and so is NOPD. You can monitor East Jeff and West Jeff EMS along with the fire departments (for now). LSP will also rebroadcast at JPSO simulcast alerts.

jhsands

Feed Provider
If you'll notice, when it gets put on a live feed, it gets encrypted. Doesn't take a genius to figure this out.

Fifteen minute delay would make most departments feel at ease with streaming, but near real-time is why it gets encrypted.

Last edited:
Southeast Louisiana encryption

Kenner and JPSO are encrypted JPFD,NOFD,NOPD,EJ are in the clear and LSP will not be encrypted due to patching with other agencies.

jhsands

Feed Provider
Perhaps I should have stated "law enforcement". Other states don't afford the same thing, as state police keep to themselves and use regional channels for multi-jurisdictional events.

For instance: if our Troop C state police need to interface with the locals, the state police switch to the locals channel or they both meet on Zone C Law or Northwest 1.

As I stated earlier, the law enforcement officials I have talked to stated a fifteen minute delay would keep them from encrypting their communications.Perhaps Blanton can make it a default where law enforcement feeds do such that.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Or they go to an MAC Law TG. ASP has ability to encrypt but chooses to not do so. In some situations when they need to talk to each other without going over the AWIN, or local systems repeaters, they use an on scene freq for tac/car to car. Anyway to keep this on topic in regards to SELA Encryption, as soon as PlaqPar flips the switch, please let us know, and also let us know if they go full enc or just certian tg's. There are some agencies that know they only need to encrypt truly sensitive chans. Still confused as to why one town encrypts Animal Control but not PD SWAT/TAC's.. And yet another encrypts PD dispatch, but ALL the other PD TG's are clear. Oh well.

charlie12

If you'll notice, when it gets put on a live feed, it gets encrypted. Doesn't take a genius to figure this out.

Fifteen minute delay would make most departments feel at ease with streaming, but near real-time is why it gets encrypted.

That's why I don't like live feeds. Scanner listeners shooting themselves in the foot when they put up live feeds.

jhsands

Feed Provider
Or they go to an MAC Law TG. ASP has ability to encrypt but chooses to not do so. In some situations when they need to talk to each other without going over the AWIN, or local systems repeaters, they use an on scene freq for tac/car to car. Anyway to keep this on topic in regards to SELA Encryption, as soon as PlaqPar flips the switch, please let us know, and also let us know if they go full enc or just certian tg's. There are some agencies that know they only need to encrypt truly sensitive chans. Still confused as to why one town encrypts Animal Control but not PD SWAT/TAC's.. And yet another encrypts PD dispatch, but ALL the other PD TG's are clear. Oh well.

We need to define "ability", because their flashcodes do not have the ADP bit nor do they have OFB boards installed. MAC Law TGs are not encrypted. The 'on-scene" channels they user are 8TAC91D and 8TAC92D, unless they have VHF then they use the PACRT frequency with a different PL.

We're all hoping that Little Rock only encrypts the sensitive talkgroups, but Motorola has opted up the free ADP for all TGs. It may be just like Russellville... completely locked up.

Kenner26

Premium Subscriber
Encryption

Now Kenner is encrypted, got about 2 months out of new radio

At first JPSO and NOPD were going to encrypt all talk groups then after the media outcry it was decided that only the dispatch channels would be in the clear and everything else encrypted. Kenner is on the same system as JP and went silent a few days ago once all the radios were reflashed. So far NOPD is stil clear but I look for them to jump on the band wagon soon. I can assure you it was the proliferation of the online apps with live streaming that contributed in a big way to encrypt all communications. With an app all a criminal had to do was monitor on their smart phone to hear the dispatch then flee before the police are on scene. This has been the topic of many staff meetings of multiple agencies in the region and as sure as the day is long when a feed becomes available on a smart phone app that agency will go encrypted. This hurt me too because I just purchased a BCD396XT for my wife to listen in on whats going on in our community while I am at work. I have been a scanner enthusist for over 40 years and this is a sad day for all of us that enjoy and respect this hobby.

Last edited:

radioman316

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
At first JPSO and NOPD were going to encrypt all talk groups then after the media outcry it was decided that only the dispatch channels would be in the clear and everything else encrypted. Kenner is on the same system as JP and went silent a few days ago once all the radios were reflashed. So far NOPD is stil clear but I look for them to jump on the band wagon soon. I can assure you it was the proliferation of the online apps with live streaming that contributed in a big way to encrypt all communications. With an app all a criminal had to do was monitor on their smart phone to hear the dispatch then flee before the police are on scene. This has been the topic of many staff meetings of multiple agencies in the region and as sure as the day is long when a feed becomes available on a smart phone app that agency will go encrypted. This hurt me too because I just purchased a BCD396XT for my wife to listen in on whats going on in our community while I am at work. I have been a scanner enthusist for over 40 years and this is a sad day for all of us that enjoy and respect this hobby.

New Orleans will NOT encrypt, that was decided

Status
Not open for further replies.