I refuse to give radio shack money/seeking advice for trunking scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

caveman4684

So I money in my hot hands today to purchase a pro-164 trunking scanner from radio shack. Long story short radio shack has some of the worst customer service in retailing and I refuse to support them. Which is sad because I really wanted the 164. So I'm now looking for advice on a trunking scanner, I don't need digital but I'm keeping my options open. I'm thinking Uniden or GRE, what should I be looking at?

caveman4684

After some reading I found that GRE is in the process of shutting down. So it looks like it's down to Uniden. I'm interested in the 346XT,

scannersnstuff

if you absolutely do not need digital, take a look at a uniden bc346xt. check the wiki. unless you really need or want milair and fm radio, this is a great scanner. a little less than the pro-164, depending on the seller.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
if you absolutely do not need digital, take a look at a uniden bc346xt. check the wiki. unless you really need or want milair and fm radio, this is a great scanner. a little less than the pro-164, depending on the seller.

I will second the BC346XT suggestion. It's a great analog trunking scanner. I've had mine for a few years now and it's still my workhorse scanner.

The GRE PSR-310 is a good scanner as well, but the 346XT has more memory.

:)

maalox

at radio shack you can by a scanner try it out return within 30 days full refund unless they changed this

Last edited:

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
After some reading I found that GRE is in the process of shutting down.

Not exactly shutting down, they're just in a state of limbo and no one knows what happening with them. It's not like you have to rule them out as a possibility.

caveman4684

I bought a BC346XT from a local ham radio outlet today. I only spent 30 minutes with it but I can already see it's going to take some time to learn how to use it. A long time... Anyway thanks for the advice and knowledge base on on this site.

troshs

Just a note-- you can purchase a scanner that does digital and use it just for analog at the time being, right? If so (I work at a big box retailer in the electronics dept), what I tell my customers is plan for the future. Technology is always changing, updating, etc. The best way to get at it is to buy the newest thing out, that way you will be ready when and if a change happens...I would suggest getting a scanner that does both analog and digital, that way if the change happens you are already prepared instead of being stuck with a scanner that does absolutely nothing :) We call it "future-proofing", its basically like the manufacturer pulling on a rope with all of the customers holding on, and the rope runs out quicker for the folks at the back of the pack. That way you won't have to keep chasing the end of the rope and buying new tech more often...you can be at a part in the rope where the end won't come for a while. Sorry if thats a confusing analogy, I tried :)

benbenrf

So I money in my hot hands today to purchase a pro-164 trunking scanner from radio shack. Long story short radio shack has some of the worst customer service in retailing and I refuse to support them. Which is sad because I really wanted the 164. So I'm now looking for advice on a trunking scanner, I don't need digital but I'm keeping my options open. I'm thinking Uniden or GRE, what should I be looking at?

Caveman

That's always been the problem with Radio Shack - the folk in those dealerships by and large have very little knowledge: HAM dealers will know what trunking networks operate in your area, what hardware to get within your budget range and how to set things up. Go find your local radio HAM dealer - they'll have a ton of very useful local advice.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I bought a BC346XT from a local ham radio outlet today. I only spent 30 minutes with it but I can already see it's going to take some time to learn how to use it. A long time... Anyway thanks for the advice and knowledge base on on this site.

This article from our wiki will give you all the links you need to get you started.

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Don't even try to use the mess Uniden gave as a manual - go to the bottom of the above article and get the Easier to Read manual.

HTH...Mike

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Since you now have a 346XT, may I suggest you download FreeSCAN software to help with the programing. It has several advantages:
  • The software is free
  • It makes programing your new radio much easier
  • It allows you to see how your memory (in the radio) is laid out
  • It is supported by the author who can be found here on the site
  • It's free
  • With a subscription to this site, you can download data directly into the software
  • Without a subscription you can use EZGrab to get data from the individual DB pages here
  • Did I mention, it is free?
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.