What scaner would you recommend ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Everyone,

I am ready to retire my old BC2500XLT scanner and get something with digital capabilities.
I'm kind of tossed between the HP-1 vs. a handheld 396xt . I don't know much about the newer scanners so I thought someone here can help me decide.

1. Do the handheld scanners offer comparable features of the desktop models?
ie. monitor the same trunking systems?

I think I prefer another handheld due to it's portability, but I'd hate to lose out on
receiving coverage. I just don't want to make a poor decision. It all honestly, I rarely ever
take my radio out of the house or move it around much.. so I'm not really opposed to a desktop unit.
My main concern is being able to listen to the most I can. I want to be 'up to date'.

Anyone have any suggestions? I like to keep the cost to $500 or less, if possible.

Thank you,
Eric

scosgt

The HP-1 is a portable desktop that runs off batteries.
No programming software is needed.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Assuming your after a digital? BTW Radio Shack has all the digitals on sale till the 30th.

Specs

HP 1 HomePatrol-1 - The RadioReference Wiki

996xt BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki

396xt BCD396XT - The RadioReference Wiki

all unidens Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Radio shack aka GRE made radio
theres hardly any left due to co. hasnt made any since last summer and general feeling here is the co. will not be back.

pro 197 Pro-197 - The RadioReference Wiki

pro 106 Pro-106 - The RadioReference Wiki

All radio shack radios
Radio Shack Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

The main WIKI page Main Page - The RadioReference Wiki

bama9999

Do they receive the same trunking systems or are they equivalent in that regards?

Yes, they receive the same trunking systems. The BCD396XT is the handheld version of the BCD996XT and they both share everything in common, except the firmware, such as features, the software you can use to program them with, etc... With one of these radios you will have to program it to hear what you want to. The Homepatrol scanner from Uniden has everything in the RR database already in it and comes with software you use to update the database from time to time.

But going back to the earlier two radios that I mentioned, it pretty much just boils down to whether or not you want a scanner that you can just pick up and carry with you, or one that would be used for either home or mobile use, since otherwise they are the same.

SCPD

QRT
thank you all. This information was extremely useful. Now, before I spend the cash on a new scanner is there a way to tell if Digital is used in my local vicinity? How do I go about looking to see whats around me?

scosgt

thank you all. This information was extremely useful. Now, before I spend the cash on a new scanner is there a way to tell if Digital is used in my local vicinity? How do I go about looking to see whats around me?

Radio Reference is your friend.

oracavon

Go to the top of this page, click on "databases - frequency database", then click on your state, then click on your county. The channels will be listed with "A" for analog, "D" for digital or "E" for encrypted (which cannot be received by any consumer radio).

SCPD

QRT
I seem to be getting varying results on the specs of the HP-1. Is it true that you can't direct enter any new frequencies unless you pay for the Extreme upgrade? If not, you're stuck with the default database entries? I want to be able to be able to use my next scanner at NASCAR/NHRA events and need to be able to enter in the drivers frequencies, etc..

scosgt

I seem to be getting varying results on the specs of the HP-1. Is it true that you can't direct enter any new frequencies unless you pay for the Extreme upgrade? If not, you're stuck with the default database entries? I want to be able to be able to use my next scanner at NASCAR/NHRA events and need to be able to enter in the drivers frequencies, etc..

It is not really intended to be able to program from the unit. You just set up a favorites list before you go to the event.

Isn't NASCAR all conventional frequencies? You don't need a $500 scanner for that.

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber

Yes this is true to an extent. You can enter any new frequency manually on the scanner, save it, tag it as a channel "type" (EMS, Fire, Business, etc), BUUUUTTTTTTTTT, you CANNOT do a search of a band (like say search from 144.000 to 150.000) to try to see what is out there UNLESS you buy the stupid upgrade.

That ONE flaw is what made me take my HP-1 back and go for a 996XT. Why? Because screw them, that's why. I just paid around $500 for a new radio that cant even do a simple SEARCH unless I dish out another $100 bucks? No thanks. That and it ran off 9v instead of 12 making it harder to wire into my vehicle.

So if you KNOW the frequencies that your driver is using... awesome. Punch it in and listen away. Otherwise, I'd go for the other radio.

scosgt

The HP-1 would not be that practical for NASCAR anyway. No belt clip, antenna is an odd arrangement that hangs off the end. It is also pretty heavy for what I think you would need for NASCAR, unless it is trunked, which I doubt.

The 346 or an old 246 would seem to be ideal. Small and light. Full keyboard and search functions.

I am enjoying my HP-1
For traveling, the location based scanning is great. You don't really need the GPS, it is way easy to simply enter your location by City and the scanner will do the rest.

But what it really is not is a walkie-talkie walk around type of scanner. There are other radios that are more practical for that.

SCPD

QRT
scosgt, some of the drivers use DPL. I don't want the scanner just for that, but I do attend events on occasion and prefer to have the manual input option like a traditional scanner. I was tossed between the 996xt and the HP-1, but the lack of manual input from the unit may be a deal breaker for me. Sometime I don't know what frequency is needed until i'm there or get a new one from a fellow spectator. I really did not like the look so much of the 996xt, but I'll take functionality over looks.

Or do you think the technology in the HP-1 is worth that inconvenience?

SCPD

QRT
hill2lb,
That is valuable to know, about the lacking search feature and I tend to agree with you about not wanting to shell out another $100 to get a feature that comes standard on every other scanner. I personally use search often so I'd hate to lose that.

scosgt has good point too... the weight and lack of belt clip is un-appealing to me too.
the HP-1 seems like a nice concept, but overall not practical to carry around. seems like it has a
lot of shortcomings. wish the 996xt was more aesthetically pleasing.

scosgt

Most modern scanners have PL decoding, CTCSS or DCS.
The 996XT is NOT a walk around scanner, it is a desktop or mobile. So you are talking apples and oranges.

My HP-1 does not quite have the ears that my PSR-800 has. There is a local system in the next county that I usually can not receive on the HP, the PSR gets it all the time. Same antenna. My older 296D is able to pull that one in most of the time, so it is definitely the HP-1.
However, it is not at all bad. I am sitting here listening to the New Jersey State Police TRS, and I am at least 25 miles from the nearest point in New Jersey (which does NOT mean I am 25 miles from the nearest tower, just from the State Line).

So it has good ears, but not great. Personally I have always found GRE scanners to be a bit more sensitive, but of course YMMV.

The really big deal about the HP-1 is three things:

1. The display. There is nothing else like it.
2. Programming is a cinch. The learning curve is very short. When traveling you carry the entire US datebase with you, and accessing it is only a few clicks away.
3. At least for my area, the digital reception is great. There is nothing to adjust, it just receives the digital. Some other scanners require some "tuning steps" to clarify the digital reception. This one does not.

It also has some other very nice features. Instant replay if you miss a transmission. Record function. Audio boost on low stations - my local precinct has that issue, the signal is strong but the audio is low. This is the only radio I ever had that I don't have to turn up the volume when that one is on and then turn it back down again. The feature actually works.

So yes, it has some excellent technology, IF it is useful in your application. I stream from a 996T, and I have no complaints about that radio. Programming for rebanding was a bit of a challenge, but once done, that's it. Good ears (not as good as the PSR-800) and can be totally software controlled, which is nice. So they are different radios, and may fill different needs.

Again, I think you can get a dedicated NASCAR radio pretty cheap. I recall that Uniden had some models where the track channels were built in. So you might want to consider one of those for NASCAR and leave that part out of your digital needs.

I can tell you that the HP-1 AND the PSR 800 do a great job of digital decoding. Way better than some of the earlier digital scanners.

But you also have to research your own area. Some radios are not working well with certain systems. I do know that we have little digital in this area.The occasional digital channel on NJSP comes in loud and clear, even from 100 miles away (the radio, not the tower). I have taken the PSR to Connecticut, and the CSP, which is totally digital works great. It did not work on my 396T when I tried it a few years ago, but did work perfectly on a 296D. So you need to find out what people say works on the digital system you want to monitor.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks oracavon, I've been looking at so many radios I'm getting all the numbers mixed up. I did mean the 396xt the 996xt is very good looking scanner. I guess my dilemma now is.. do I go for the 996xt or it's portable protégé, 396xt. My bc2500xlt is still very functional for my events. I really just wanted to upgrade to digital/trunking... but realistically, I doubt I'd use the digital aspect of it while being mobile.. but still would like something portable around the house as my wife don't really all the chatter.

scosgt

The HP is perfectly portable around the house, it is not practical for carrying around in the field. With the extreme upgrade you can stream from it too, so I would probably buy it over the 996.

I would not buy any radio now (other than perhaps a dedicated NASCAR radio cheap) that is not digital. More and more departments are going digital, and in a few years you probably won't be able to hear much without it.

SCPD

QRT
That's why I wanted the digital, to be current and get more to listen to in my area. I can use my old conventional scanner for nascar, etc.. I can also use my Yaesu Ham Radio transceiver for nascar events as well, which is pretty small and portable. I really never considered a dedicated nascar radio, but it does make sense and would be way more practical and some of them have modified audio boosts for the headset which I hear is nice to have due the track loudness. I think I would be happy with the simplicity of the HP-1, being a digital newbie and all. I definitely will not buy anything non digital.

I did have one more question for you though... you mentioned streaming after the extreme upgrade?
what prevents you from streaming before the upgrade?

bear780ks

I think there would be some that would beg to Differ on that one :lol: me as one with it's batteries.. there are several Antenna Choices that one's can use to really help this Scanner).

You can also use it really well in a Car Setting if you have a Stero input Jack in your Vehicle you can use a 3.5 Jack Cord to Run the Audio thru the Speakers i done this when i had my HP-1 and that is what i use with my BCD396xt

I changed to the 396 for a Few Features that the HP-1 didn't have but for the ease of Use and what it can Pick up i will for sure get another one to back my 396 Up..

And the Mounts i have found for HP-1 from Doing Google Searches! it's Amazing this one Company has 4 to choose from i'll put there Link at the Bottom of my Post..

But as for and all around Scanner i think it scores big

RAM Mounts for the Uniden HomePatrol-1

Status
Not open for further replies.