Montrose County Deputy Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextuttle

Deputy was shot at 0400 hours this morning in Crawford, CO
The deputy was hit two times in the lower part of his vest, he was C&B when careflight took him to St. Mary's in Grand Junction.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Deputy was shot at 0400 hours this morning in Crawford, CO
The deputy was hit two times in the lower part of his vest, he was C&B when careflight took him to St. Mary's in Grand Junction.

Crawford is Delta County I believe, were they mutual aid or something?

Jim<

alextuttle

Edit: Thank you sir's
Thank you sir for the links. I work the third shift and have to rest at some point.
The dispatcher said that the address in Crawford was in Montrose county and Delta had requested mutual aid for that reason.

Last edited:

dragoonusa

Crawford is Delta County I believe, were they mutual aid or something?

Jim<

Man dead, deputy shot on domestic violence call

I was at the Location Covering it for Several Networks It was at a home in Montrose County Hwy 92 MM 40 7 miles south of Delta County this is where the Suspect Fled to. The original Domestic Occurred in Crawford on I RD.

Catch my Still Frames in the link above.

alextuttle

Man dead, deputy shot on domestic violence call

I was at the Location Covering it for Several Networks It was at a home in Montrose County Hwy 92 MM 40 7 miles south of Delta County this is where the Suspect Fled to. The original Domestic Occurred in Crawford on I RD.

Catch my Still Frames in the link above.

Nice pics sir.
I called KJCT, KKCO, and Montrose Press just after it happened to let them know. KJCT didn't answer and today they told me that they don't need tips that they will find out on their own, but if I feel the need I can leave an e-mail for them. That is not good reporting in my book.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Nice pics sir.
I called KJCT, KKCO, and Montrose Press just after it happened to let them know. KJCT didn't answer and today they told me that they don't need tips that they will find out on their own, but if I feel the need I can leave an e-mail for them. That is not good reporting in my book.

I would certainly take KJCT off your list with that wonderful response to breaking news.

Jim<

alextuttle

I would certainly take KJCT off your list with that wonderful response to breaking news.

Jim<

I know. I will be.
I had the others giving me late night contact numbers.
I have been noticing in the last year that I prefer the reporting of KKCO over KJCT. Now I know why.

I have been listening to my radios for over fifteen years, and I have never had a news room tell me that they didn't want tips. Until now. Utah has a agency that paid me for a service like that for years.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) continues to investigate the shooting of a Montrose County deputy in Crawford on March 25, 2013. Agents with CBI worked late into the evening on March 25, and resumed their investigation in the early morning hours of March 26th.

The investigation remains on-going with additional interviews being conducted with the female victim of the alleged domestic violence incident as well as members of the Montrose County Sheriff’s Office who responded to the scene.

Deputy Corey Larsen remains in good condition at St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Junction, and is expected to fully recover.

“The support we’ve received from the community has been simply incredible,” said Montrose County Sheriff Rick Dunlap. “We continue to focus our thoughts and prayers for Deputy Larsen’s speedy recovery, and we’re here to provide whatever assistance necessary for not only his family, but also our staff impacted by this incident.”

The Montrose County Coroner’s Office has released the name of the man found deceased inside the residence: Kent Calhoun (DOB: 11-01-1960) of Crawford.

While CBI agents are not releasing the exact type of weapon used in the shooting, they have indicated the deputy was shot with a large caliber revolver.

RECAP
The following release was sent by Katie Yergensen, Media Relations Manager for Montrose County sent to the media at 5:30 p.m. on March 25, 2013.

Montrose County Deputy Corey Larsen in Stable Condition after Morning Shooting

At 1:49 a.m. MST, on March 25, 2013, the Montrose County Sheriff’s office replied to a domestic violence call in the Crawford area near E81 Road and highway 92. After speaking with the female party, the deputies approached the residence to speak with the male involved. When the deputies knocked on the door, the suspect fired at the deputies. Montrose County Deputy Corey Larsen was shot twice—once in the abdomen and once in the chest—and taken to St. Mary’s Hospital. “He’s out of surgery and everything went well. He’s in stable condition. His bullet proof vest definitely saved his life,” said Sheriff Rick Dunlapin an interview with the Montrose Daily Press. Fellow Deputy Dustin Harlow was uninjured during the incident.

The Sheriff’s Department made entry into the residence at 9:45 a.m., and discovered a deceased male in the residence. The scene is now sealed and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) will handle the investigation going forward. For press inquiries, please contact CBI Public Information Officer Susan Medina at (303) 239-4423 or susan.medina@state.co.us.

Status
Not open for further replies.