• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do any LE agencies still monitor CB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kny2xb

Today I remembered a time back around 1990 in Ontario County NY when the Sheriffs Department answered my request on channel 9 for local directions in Canandaigua [I tried 19 first and didn't get any response]

I wasn't really expecting any response at all, let alone from a LE department, and it really surprised me

I was wondering if any police or sheriff departments still monitor 9 and/or 19 anymore

Getting curious and nostalgic here I guess

73 everyone

KD0USR

I remember when our local constables and the State Patrol did, but that was many, many years ago.

Don't believe they do anymore.

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
I think Alaska State Troopers still monitor CB in some remote parts of the state. Aside from that, Department of Transportation monitors it as well on the North Slope Haul road.

A lot of communities AST serves fall outside of their normal radio service area, so CB and Marine radio is popular.

jfhtm350

Dont know if they really monitor the cb, but I have been told a few times by some state and local police to slow me big rig down a time or two.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Search the CB thread as this exact same question has been posted before.

I know Alabama State Troopers do because I've seen quite a few of their units with a CB antenna mounted on the trunk. Some small-town departments monitor them as well but it's not as common.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

It's most likely going to vary state-to-state, agency-to-agency, and even officer-to-officer in places. I would think that few agencies officially monitor anymore, and it's going to be an officer who decides to spend their own money to install a C.B..

shortride

Premium Subscriber
There are lots of CB'ers in my area. It's a Weyerhaeuser lumber area with a lot of log trucks and other vehicle around that use CB's. Some county sheriff deputies have CB radios as well as some local police officers.

freqs

I dont know of any Department Dispatch or Station's that monitor CB in my area.
The only ones around my area that even use them are DOT -- Local PD Motor Carrier Units in vehicle only I drive Trucks in Metro Detroit area and MSP Motor Carrier Units and some Locals are the only ones ive seen with CB .

peterwo2e

this is funny we use to have react on ch 9 emergency back in the 70s. but the internet and mobile phones kill them in the 80s. we still have emergency amateur radio nets just waiting for some emergency traffic that will never come. and ironic and funny as ever we still have hams waiting to deliver a radiogram, a radio gram is a radio telegram hand delivered by ham radio ops. lol sadly these emergency groups are gone for ever. channel nine is still call the emergency channel for nostalgic reasons and lots of cb radios still have special active buttons for ch 9. good old days of cb radio!!!

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Actually, ARES, RACES, REACT, SATERN, SKYWARN and others are still active in various areas of the country. Emergencies that never come? What about Sandy last year? What about the Moore, OK tornado a few days ago?

KB7MIB

There are other emergencies all the time. Yes, CB radio may not be used much for emergency communications, and the REACT Teams that still exist mostly use Amateur, MURS, FRS/GMRS and even business radio now. But the groups still exist.

VFN05

Channel 9 "signage"

Virginia still has signs up along the interstates advising that VSP monitors channel 9. As far as I know, VSP cars are not equipped with department issued CBs, but I have seen troopers with their own. In any case, it has been ages since I received a reply on channel 9 from any law enforcement unit.

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
Virginia still has signs up along the interstates advising that VSP monitors channel 9. As far as I know, VSP cars are not equipped with department issued CBs, but I have seen troopers with their own. In any case, it has been ages since I received a reply on channel 9 from any law enforcement unit.

The VDOT roadside assistance trucks monitor channel 9. They also can directly communicate with VSP. Also a lot of the VDOT construction contractors use cbs for communications, but they don't hang out on channel 9.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
As said before it would vary agency to agency. In upstate New York, I know that some Thruway Authority cars monitor 9. Also New York State Police Commercial Unit has CB's equipped in some of their vehicles. Just about every NYS DOT truck I have seen has CB whips as well. CB is not quite used as commonly as it was back in the 70's and 80's. Now of someone needs to report an emergency, its more practical to use a cellphone, rather than putting a call out on the CB.

peterwo2e

lol

Actually, ARES, RACES, REACT, SATERN, SKYWARN and others are still active in various areas of the country. Emergencies that never come? What about Sandy last year? What about the Moore, OK tornado a few days ago?
ok i see what you saying my question is how many times have you got call requesting your radio services?? i think my point has been made! don't get me wrong in an event of some major desaster yes authority will get the help of radio amateurs "IF NEEDED" but would you flog like a lemming to a radio net every week to practice for this future if at all this will happen?

KB7MIB

I'm a Skywarn member. Unfortunately, I'm usually at work (swing shift) for the weekly net, and for most of the activations for severe weather, especially during our monsoon season when storms don't start going til late afternoon/evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.