17 minute delay in my broadcast this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalMDX

Feed Provider
I typically experience 30 seconds from 'live to stream' which has always been typical for me.

This morning I'm hearing calls on the stream that are 17 minutes old.
I guess I have a couple of questions.

1) Anyone else experiencing this today
2) Any ideas on clearing this up?

I'm using ScannerCast v0.14 (10302) going to RadioReference/Broadcastify.

Unfortunately I'm heading off to work at this time. But I'm open to any suggestions.
I'm going to try stopping the broadcast. closing ScannerCast and then launching it again to see if that helps.

Thank you for any suggestions,
Jay

DigitalMDX

Feed Provider
Stopping the broadcast and/or closing ScannerCast cleared up that huge delay.
I did notice I have some pending updates on that box which I'll do this evening.

I guess my questions now are:

1) Are there any maintenance procedures I should be doing on the streaming box? Cleaning out directories, temp files, etc.
2) Is there anything I can monitor programmaticly to alert me of a possible delay issue?

Thank you,
Jay

DigitalMDX

Feed Provider
Thank you. I will check that out and see if I can get it setup.

I Stopped broadcasting via ScannerCast at 8:13PM
Online stream showed "Offline / 0 listeners" at 8:14PM
The online stream continued to stream the older audio for 16 minutes and 6 seconds.

Thanks again,
Jay

DigitalMDX

Feed Provider
I switched over to RadioFeed from ScannerCast and am still experiencing a 17 minute delay from "live" to "stream" in the broadcast.

When I first installed RadioFeed and started the broadcast I timed the delay and it was about 18 seconds.
It has been running for an hour and 15 minutes and I'm getting the 17 minute delay in the broadcast.

Edit: it is now 00:30 on 1APR13 and the delay is gone and back to normal. I have done nothing on my end.

Jay

Last edited:

Confuzzled

Some kind of buffering problem with your PC? Problem with your ISP?

Just guessing ... I don't do feeds.

Do you stream any other audio or video inbound? TV, movies, music, etc.? If so, how do they work?

DigitalMDX

Feed Provider
As mentioned before: at 12:30AM Pacific the issue resolved itself.
by 2:30AM the delay was up to 4 minutes
It is now 8:00AM and the delay is back to 15 minutes
As mentioned above if I stop the broadcast. After 1 minute external players show offline/0 listeners yet the stream continues to stream for the remaining delayed 15 minutes.
At 8:24AM Pacific the issue resolved itself again (nothing done on my side).

This has happened before to others:
http://forums.radioreference.com/live-audio-feed-administration/245705-15-minute-delay-feeds.html

The PC is a dedicated PC. AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2Ghz, 3G RAM, 19G Free HD space.
The PC is at 13% CPU and 915MB memory (see below graphic link)
I have Comcast Business Class internet: 35M down / 7M up
During these 'delay issues' network traffic never exceeded 600K (That's K) and that was just a spike (see same below graphic link)

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h164/DigitalMDX/broadcastifydelayissue_zps4e934698.jpg

As mentioned above I have tried both ScannerCast (which I have used for the past 3 years for this stream) and have now switched to RadioFeed and have the same issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm open to any and all ideas at this point...

Thank you,
Jay

Last edited:

jaded

Feed Provider
If you're okay using Linux, take a look at the wiki article on Ezstream. Just use sox to delay the stream (using the delay or pad options) before it's passed onto lame. I don't know if there is a limit to the delay time, but... heck, Sox can do anything!

talkpair

As mentioned before: at 12:30AM Pacific the issue resolved itself.
by 2:30AM the delay was up to 4 minutes
It is now 8:00AM and the delay is back to 15 minutes
As mentioned above if I stop the broadcast. After 1 minute external players show offline/0 listeners yet the stream continues to stream for the remaining delayed 15 minutes.
At 8:24AM Pacific the issue resolved itself again (nothing done on my side).

I pulled an archive file of your stream for the time period between 7:51 AM and 8:21 AM on 4-1-2013.

The first spoken time in the file occurs on the left channel, 37.5 seconds into the file. "zero seven fifty one"
The last spoken time in the file occurs on the left channel, 30 minutes and 2 seconds into the file. "eight twenty".

The spoken times are in agreement with the beginning and ending time stamps of the file.

This leads me to believe that the problem is not in your streaming software.

I just listened to your stream with the Web Player and the spoken time was in sync with real time.

It's possible the delay is because of the player you are using. It may be a simple matter of closing and re-opening the player to determine if the player is the problem.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
If you're okay using Linux, take a look at the wiki article on Ezstream. Just use sox to delay the stream (using the delay or pad options) before it's passed onto lame. I don't know if there is a limit to the delay time, but... heck, Sox can do anything!

It looks like the RR staff are against delayed streams accordingly to the following threads. I'm not a "Delay" police but just FYI. Why use Ezstream? It seems the setup can be a pain and can you stream text tags with Ezstream?

http://forums.radioreference.com/st...delay-first-responder-safety.html#post1603799

http://forums.radioreference.com/live-audio-feed-administration/246403-delay.html#post1800121

Last edited:

jaded

Feed Provider
It looks like the RR staff are against delayed streams accordingly to the following threads. I'm not a "Delay" police but just FYI.
Oops... sorry 'bout that - didn't know it was a no-no. Thanks for the heads-up.
Why use Ezstream? It seems the setup can be a pain and can you stream text tags with Ezstream?
It's stable, I'm a Linux kinda guy, and I don't need tag support since I'm only streaming a simple repeater. I'm mostly interested in it being set-and-forget, and with 386 days of uptime to date, that's exactly what it's been.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It's stable, I'm a Linux kinda guy, and I don't need tag support since I'm only streaming a simple repeater. I'm mostly interested in it being set-and-forget, and with 386 days of uptime to date, that's exactly what it's been.

That's fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.