• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR 4550 Homebrew Programming Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to homebrew a cable for these?
I have seen on ebay cables that fit the mic port or the accessory port. The cables for the accessory port dont look like they have the one wire chip in-line but the mic port cables do.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have one here that works great through the accessory port. If you give me some time, I can post the pinout later. Real easy to make.

N4KVE

I purchased 2 accessory port cables from Kurt, MRE1302. Great quality, & by using the rear cable, I can leave it plugged into the radio full time. The cable also has speaker, & ign sense leads.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
OK, with a standard USB cable, Green goes to pin 1, White to pin 2, Red to pin 3 and Black to pin 4. Of course, you'll need a PMLN5072A accessory plug kit with pin tips.

If you want external speaker audio (useful for the XPR8300/8400 repeaters since this is the cable they use) those are pins 9 and 10. Ignition is 25
Why is the IQ data not available externally?
I have no idea.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Off the topic but how the heck do you remove the control head?
I do t have a separation kit yet but would just like to know...

Devilz311

I purchased 2 accessory port cables from Kurt, MRE1302. Great quality, & by using the rear cable, I can leave it plugged into the radio full time. The cable also has speaker, & ign sense leads.

I have one of these cables too, they work great.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
It's covered in the basic service manual if you can get your hands on it but you use the dismantling tool (Motorola Part No. 6686119B01) to carefully unsnap the head off. The tool reminds me of an ice scraper, only not as wide!

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

I could not find the Basic Service Manual for the XPR4550, but I do have one for the XPR4380 and XPR4580 which shows the control head removal which should be the same. If you need it, PM your email to me. Just know that it is a 12 Mb file.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Nope. I bought the accessory port connector kit and added my own USB cable. I think total cost was about $10.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to bring this back from the dead.

Anyone make their own programming cable that connects via the mic port?

I don't think you can because of the one wire device that is present in the front panel programming cable.

Building one for the rear accessory port is stupid easy and works really well.

N4KVE

I don't think you can because of the one wire device that is present in the front panel programming cable.

Building one for the rear accessory port is stupid easy and works really well.
Plus you don't have to unplug the mike every time you want to program the radio.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Thats what i use, But having the radio mounted in the car and having to unmount it to program is starting to be a pain when updating. Would be dandy to have the mic port option.

Oh wellzzzzzzz :) Just make a perm cable i guess

p47r4ck

Question to anyone on the thread : I have the USB (HKN6184C) & RS232 (HKN6183B) GCAI Cables for the ASTRO25 series mobiles

I've seen on marketing material around the Internet that these also work with the TRBO mobiles.

Has anyone here personally tried programming a TRBO mobile with either of these cables?

Thanks!

-Patrick

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I use the USB 6184 cable all the time to program XPR mobiles. Haven't tried the serial one yet though.

w1rc

I made up a cable according to the instructions given earlier in this thread by KG4INW and it didn't work. Computer didn't recognize the device. So I reversed the data+ and - lines (green and white wires) going to pins 1 and 3 and it worked. So the pinouts for my cable are as follows:

White Data - Pin 1
Green Data + Pin 2
Red Vbus Pin 3
Black ground Pin 4

Looking at the back of the radio the connector facing you the pins are as follows:

Upper left side of the connector is pin 2
Lower left side of the connector is pin 1
Pin 4 is next to pin 2
Pin 3 is next to pin 1

Caveat: YMMV.

If you are lucky enough to have a crimping tool you are golden. if not you will have to carefully use pliers to crimp the connectors or, as I did, solder wires to pins salvaged from another connector.

Have fun.....it's a hobby, remember.

MrMike, W1RC

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, I'll have to double check my cable/notes but they're at work so that'll be a few days. Glad you were able to get it to work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.