Pro-96 Radio Shack Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon2007

Feed Provider
I have a Pro-96 scanner and the display is not working and getting poor reception. When I turn the scanner on it still scans and I hear out of it. It just don't display what it is scanning. Is there anyone that can fix this scanner for me. I live in Rochester, Indiana.

Thanks,
Brandon Heishman

Last edited:

gr8rcall

Premium Subscriber
Hey,

I've heard of this happening before, and I tried to search for the thread that I read about it in, but I couldn't find it.....!
Maybe you should just take it to RadioShack! Thats probably your best bet!

Brandon2007

Feed Provider
I have done that and the company that repairs the scanners is out of business. I called Radio Shack and that is what they told me. They was the ones that told me to go here and post it.

gr8rcall

Premium Subscriber
I wondered if they would tell you that! Yes, they are correct! GRE is out of business (hopefully temporarily)! Although, I have heard that they still take repairs??? Can someone confirm they have had a scanner repaired by them recently?

See this thread:
http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/264045-gre-scanner-repair.html
A guy in there says that they (GRE) will still repair scanners. Since yours is an older model though, maybe the RS people don't think they will.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other major companies that repair them. Your best bet would be to try a local radio shop, or something like that. Also, there may be some people on here who would repair it for you, but you'd probably have to mail it to them!

Last edited:

Michael-SATX

Q: Wasn't this the same display problem that is fixed by very slightly trimming
the LCD's ribbon cable and re-inserting back into the PCB boards edge connector?
I'm not at work today, but I will check the RS RSU parts list for the Pro-96 (200-0526).
Besides, all RS repairs went to Ft Worth's repair dept and NOT to GRE in CA ... etc.
Your best bet would be to re-seat the daughter board's edge connector to the main PCB connector.
Sometimes over time enough tarnish can prevent a positive contact and prevent normal operation.
Come On Brandon, what's 4 phillips screws and 5 minutes of your time ! Try it ~ You'll like it ;)

TES

The ribbon-cable trimming was for the Pro-2096 I believe.

A search on the word ribbon in the Radio Shack Scanners forum will show that ribbon cable issues have been user-repaired on a variety of the Radio Shack PRO-xxxx scanners, including the OP's Pro-96.

TEH

Pro-96 display problem

Hello from Central Florida.

I have had this happen a few times with my Pro-96. The problem every time has been a poor connection of the ribbon cable connecting the circuit board to the front panel assembly. The solution every time has been to clean and reseat the cable.

1. Make sure your hands and tools are clean, and do not contain any traces of oil, acid, or other contaminants.

2. Have metal surfaces nearby so you can touch them frequently to prevent static discharge to any parts of the scanner. Do not walk across carpet or do anything else that might generate static electricity before or during the repair.

3. CAREFULLY disassemble the scanner, carefully noting the position of each screw and scanner part. Take notes to ensure correct parts placement, or take closeup photos.

4. Be CAREFUL that you do not pull any of the cables too far.

5. Carefully pull the ribbon cable out of its socket.

6. Using clean paper, gently wipe the conductors on the ribbon cable, and gently insert a paper or thin card into the socket to clean the contacts of the sockets.

7. Carefully reassemble the radio, and you should have a properly-working display now.

Hope this helps

Brandon2007

Feed Provider
Sorry, I am not familiar with this or how to do it "re-seat the daughter board's edge connector to the main PCB connector". I just turn it on and listen, I even let my computer program the scanner for me.

Brandon2007

Status
Not open for further replies.