Glendale, AZ - live FD radio traffic from TV helo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICP963

Feed Provider
This is very common out here in Arizona. Most of the news helicopters have scanners and many have hem routed so that the scanner audio can be mixed into the broadcast signal. Actually very easy to do with most aircraft audio panels.

Live chopper video: Knock down of Glendale, AZ house fire. | STATter911.com

Live news video from helo includes FD radio traffic

First time I have heard live public safety radio traffic intentionally included in a live TV news report

szron

This is very common out here in Arizona. Most of the news helicopters have scanners and many have hem routed so that the scanner audio can be mixed into the broadcast signal. Actually very easy to do with most aircraft audio panels.
Oh I bet it is easy to do but I always thought that doing something like that live would shake the wrong tree and bring encryption over FD channels (yes there are some depts which encrypt FD).

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I have watched some recent Los Angeles pursuits being livecast from media helos. They never included any police dept radio traffic. Boston area media helos also do not include any public safety radio comms.

How about other citys?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Here in the Phoenix area, in the past, the news media pilots have had a good relationship with the FD's, to the point of coming up on their VHF channels and helping direct firefighters/medics to patients in the desert or on a mountain.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Now this may have changed since then. I don't know if the helo's have the capability to transmit on the RWC or TOPAZ RWC trunked systems, or if they still have authority to come up on the conventional VHF channels.

ICP963

Feed Provider
I have not seen any of the Phoenix area news helicopters with the capability to talk on the Phoenix RWC, even though several of the pilots have been former PhoenixPD pilots. I know that most have the ability to at least come up on the VHF mutual aid channels and assist if needed. And they also chat with the PhoenixPD pilots on the common helicopter air to air channels as well.

Now this may have changed since then. I don't know if the helo's have the capability to transmit on the RWC or TOPAZ RWC trunked systems, or if they still have authority to come up on the conventional VHF channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.