programming uniden 996xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tillertruck

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking of buying a Uniden 996XT and the place of purchase wants $140.00 buck to program 3 counties. How hard is this unit to programs... Any advise? I'm looking to program MD Montgomery co. VA Loudon, MD Frederick

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well if your not used to programming scanners or using Unidens way of programming, it can be difficult at first. But you could make it easier by using programming software.

palmerjrusa

Sounds very expensive! For much less you could buy the Butel software for this radio and program it easily through the RadioReference database.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking of buying a Uniden 996XT and the place of purchase wants $140.00 buck to program 3 counties. How hard is this unit to programs... Any advise? I'm looking to program MD Montgomery co. VA Loudon, MD Frederick

Sounds like a rip-off to me.

You can download FreeScan programming software for no charge what so ever,

FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

And since you are already a premium subscriber to this site, use the Web Service to pretty much program your scanner automatically.

Programming Your Scanner With the Web service

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
According to the database, Loudoun is using a Phase 2 system, which the 996xt cannot hear. Only GRE's PSR-800 has that ability. I'd check our Virginia forum for more info on that. The other 2 can be heard

No matter what software you use, you really need to sit down and learn about DMA and how it works. There are many other options that these scanners have that makes things a bit challenging - it will take some time to learn it. This article from our wiki will help (anything that's blue is a link)

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

The Easier to Read manuals are a good place to start to learn about the scanner. The index for them is at the bottom of the above article

Mike

Last edited:

bbtkd

Feed Provider
It really ticks me off when I see jerks charging for frequency info on Ebay when it is free on radioreference - where they get it, and it ticks me off more when someone selling you a radio at or near full retail wants to charge more than the actual labor cost to program it for you. It should only take them a few minutes, so I can see them charging $10. Or - considering they are making big bucks, how about throwing that in free.

Also - I see no reason at all to pay for software to program Uniden DMA scanners when Freescan does it for free. I'd suggest finding someone in the area with a Uniden scanner to help you,

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
YIKES! A buck 40 for programming? Total rip-off. FreeScan is great software to use and not that hard to do once you play around with it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.