70cm P25 on Simplex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone, I have been curious about this for a while. I have an XTS3000 UHF which is P25 capable, I have used it for many months on conventional repeaters (I have not had the pleasure of working a P25 repeater yet). My question is: are digital modes allowed on simplex frequencies or is this not allowed/frowned upon? If it is ok what NAC would I transmit to assume an "open" communication.

Thanks in advance for any help

n1oty

Premium Subscriber
It's legal. We have a good amount of 900 MHZ P25 simplex at hamfests in our area.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Hello everyone, I have been curious about this for a while. I have an XTS3000 UHF which is P25 capable, I have used it for many months on conventional repeaters (I have not had the pleasure of working a P25 repeater yet). My question is: are digital modes allowed on simplex frequencies or is this not allowed/frowned upon? If it is ok what NAC would I transmit to assume an "open" communication.

You can use the XTS 3000 on P25 ham radio repeaters. The UHF P25 system is going to be in Orlando and VHF one in Tampa and one in Plant City I believe? Also there is a Motorola MotoTRBO UHF repeater in Plant City not much use of this system but I'm trying to get a answer from people who try to talk on this system.

MOTOTRBO:

W4CLL 442.025 MHz. + 5 MHz. Offset

Color Code: 1 Group Code: 1

Both Time Slot 1 & 2 are active.

P25:

Tampa: 145.41 -6hz NAC:293 (WA4SWC)

Not sure if this is in Tampa or Plant City: 146.94 -6hz NAC: 293 (NI4M)

Last edited:

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
293 is the default but F7E will allow a receiver to open for any incoming NAC. It's been likened to "digital CSQ".

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø

A little OT, but here are the listed P25 amateur repeaters in Florida.
http://www.florida-repeaters.org/apco25listing.pdf

As to answer your question, Digital CSQ and NAC293 is pretty much the standard.

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
Sorry guys I haven't been able to respond sooner. So the consensus is that I should transmit a NAC of $293 with a receive of $F7E. I have the P25 repeaters but I was concerned someone would key up and ask "is someone using PSK on simplex?" I guess ill throw the cannels in and give it a shot, thanks guys.

scanningisfun

Sorry guys I haven't been able to respond sooner. So the consensus is that I should transmit a NAC of $293 with a receive of $F7E. I have the P25 repeaters but I was concerned someone would key up and ask "is someone using PSK on simplex?" I guess ill throw the cannels in and give it a shot, thanks guys.

Your not going to get in trouble for changing the NAC you use. If you're worried, just use $293 as that is the default.

Jacob

kd5zmc

RE: 70CM P25 on Simplex

Hey I was reading on here where some one had a question about P25 on SIMPLEX (70CM)
I don't see where any one answered his question about P25 on SIMPLEX on 440 am I missing
something?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The first reply said it was legal. The second reply provided the commonly-used NAC.

Your reply resurrected a thread that was over a year old. Do you have something to contribute to the thread?

........... I was concerned someone would key up and ask "is someone using PSK on simplex?" I guess ill throw the cannels in and give it a shot, thanks guys.

If you are on 446.0, someone may ask that question. On D-STAR and DMR there are common simplex freqs away from 146.52/446.0. I assume P25 users have come up with a similar scheme.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I have a friend who will ID on 146.52 using P25 just for fun. It's quite funny.

Mostly going to P25 on VHF around here (since all the county and state municipalities run VHF) and TRBO on UHF and 900 MHz (mostly analog on 900 though).

Status
Not open for further replies.