New License Plate will MSP/Govt use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

szron

I hope not... it's ugly...

And I'll be moving back to MI soon and I don't want my ham plates to have this design...

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Don't worry; I think you can get an amateur radio plate with the bridge or lighthouse backgrounds.
I have seen this new plate on some Consumers Energy vehicles in my area; they have the word "fleet" at the bottom.
I don't see MSP switching, though, since they recently got a new plate design.

Fiveo

MSP is switching too. I've seen a few new cars out at VTS in Lansing with them. I'll try to grab a pic next time I see one.

Fiveo

Here is a pic of the new plate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,823

N8KVB

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know how to get a replacement ARO plate?

My ARO bridge plate is pretty beat up from 4x4 trail use, and I kinda want one of the new ones with the antenna.

The local SOS has no idea, they said the ARO plates are only handled by mail, makes sense since that's how I got the original. Do I just fill out another form and mail it off? Maybe I should put a letter of explanation with it in the envelope.

szron

Ye I would just fill a new form like before. Pay the $5 or whatever the fee was and mail it. You can get the spectacular peninsulas (green/blue) or the new bridge (orange) plate for an extra fee I think.

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
Replacement Plate

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know how to get a replacement ARO plate?

My ARO bridge plate is pretty beat up from 4x4 trail use, and I kinda want one of the new ones with the antenna.

The local SOS has no idea, they said the ARO plates are only handled by mail, makes sense since that's how I got the original. Do I just fill out another form and mail it off? Maybe I should put a letter of explanation with it in the envelope.

The state recently passed a law addressing the "readability" of license plates (since you can now theoretically keep a plate forever & just stack stickers on it). I have seen some of the "Automobile Centennial" plates still on the road (remember those?) that you can't even tell that there were numbers/letters on them. So if you tell them that your plate is no longer readable, I would think that they would issue you a new one.

N8KVB

Thanks all! I'll try the aro form for a replacement.

The orange plates are ugly, I just want a white one, but the greenish plates are still available as the "graphics" option.

N8KVB

Well I finally got my new plate in the mail. I just filled out a new ARO form and mailed it in. For whatever reason, it took about a month to arrive though.

I really like it!

IMG_20140922_210005_zpsa9c7392b.jpg

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
The ugly orange plates are getting changed. We got a notice from SOS that they will be issued starting this month with black, rather than white, characters. Seems the law enforcement community complained about the white letters. When headlights hit them, they pretty much disappear.

I like the new ARO & veteran's plates, BTW.

szron

The ugly orange plates are getting changed. We got a notice from SOS that they will be issued starting this month with black, rather than white, characters. Seems the law enforcement community complained about the white letters. When headlights hit them, they pretty much disappear.
Lordy, about damn time!

k8tmk

The new Amateur Radio license plates look nice, but they could have used something better than the dorky-looking lightning bolts.

Several of us around Berrien County ordered the regular, non-graphic amateur plate and paid the $2.00 fee. But what we got was the graphic plate instead. The graphic plates look nice, but the words "Amateur Radio Operator" along the bottom of the plate do not show us a well as with the regular plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.