Taylor County, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE7JHC

Curious if anyone local has any insight on whether or not Taylor County is going to follow suit with our neighboring counties and go digital? Jones, Shackelford, Callahan, Nolan and Fisher counties have all made the switch to P25, why not Taylor County?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

fasteddy64

That is a good question and I have been quite curious about it myself.
Taylor is the biggest county in this area, probably has a significantly larger budget, but they are still analog.

I did hear a bit of digital testing on 155.67, maybe 2 months ago or so but that is it.

fasteddy64

I heard Taylor County SO on 155.67 in P25 this morning.
I will keep an ear on it and see if it is a chage or just more testing.

scanaholic

I think Taylor Co. is using the old radios Andy & Barney used in Mayberry. Every so often the squelch hangs on 155.5350, and you hear this rock guitar sound until it finally tires and goes off.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Great Info

Thanks for the update. I will be changing my radio today. Are they using this exclusively or are some still using the old analog?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
No Bites

Everything I heard this morning was digital, but everything I have heard this afternoon/evening has been analog.

When I was traveling through Taylor county, I heard 155.67 in analog. Please, post if you hear about Taylor county switching other frequencies to P25.

fasteddy64

As it stands right now, Taylor County is still analog. I have not heard any Digital signals in quite some time. For the most part everything in this county is analog. the only exceptions are the City of Abilene who use an EDACS system and the DPS who is all P25.

fasteddy64

Today I have Taylor County once again digital on 155.67 with an NAC of 221.
This frequency is called channel one, but is not their primary freq. 155.535 is their primary but called channel two. Confused yet?

I have yet to see or hear of any offical position from the SO on a permanent switch to digital.

KE7JHC

Today I have Taylor County once again digital on 155.67 with an NAC of 221.
This frequency is called channel one, but is not their primary freq. 155.535 is their primary but called channel two. Confused yet?

I have yet to see or hear of any official position from the SO on a permanent switch to digital.

There was digital activity on 155.535 this morning as well. It was around 0630 and I was unfortunately not quick enough to put my 106 into tune mode to capture a NAC code.

I happened to be in the SO office on some unofficial official business last week and noticed Icom radios in the administrative assistant's office. Not sure if there is any relation to a digital switchover, nor did I ask (it wasn't appropriate at the time). Next time I'm over there, I'll do some asking around.

fasteddy64

Once again I had a couple of digital transmissions from them this morning but they everything else is still analog.

Heard dispatch and one unit on 155.535 with a 221 NAC.

I don't know what is going on over there.

nd5y

I don't know what is going on over there.
Sounds like the same thing that is going on in other areas of Texas.

They probably got grants to buy new repeaters and radios.
They probably have all the new radios programmed with both analog and digital for each repeater.
They may have the radios and consoles set up to transmit in the mode that was received in the last 3 seconds.

If they don't keep all radios on the same channel all the time you will hear mixed analog and digital transmissions. The end users won't be able to tell the difference except for the audio quality; they will still hear everything unelss they have an older analog only radio.

On another note, there sure is a lot of stuff missing from the database for someplace the size of Abilene.

nd5y

What is missing?
A few unidentified things are at Taylor County (TX) - The RadioReference Wiki and in the other wiki articles linked at the bottom of that page.

There are no businesses, retail, schools, universities, hospitals, federal agencies, electric utilites, or wind farms in the db. See how many FCC licenses there are at http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=fccLicenses&ctid=2743&os=0&s=ent&bf=479

There are several commercial trunked systems that aren't in the db.

Dyess AFB has a relatively new 380 MHz trunked system that has only 2 talkgroups listed. Dyess Air Force Base (TX) Unknown Talkgroups - The RadioReference Wiki lists the few I found during band openings. If it's anything like Sheppard they probably have over 60 talkgroups.

The Abilene EDACS system probably has way more talkgroups than what are in the db. Abilene (TX) TRS Unknown Talkgroups - The RadioReference Wiki lists the few that I found during band openings.

AEP's EDACS system probably needs to be updated. If it is anything like the sites they have around here and SW Oklahoma the LCNs and site numbers may be obsolete. They made major changes to the system several years ago or had incorrect data submitted originally.

Almost everything on the Taylor Co db page is listed as FM but most should be FMN unless they didn't narrowband as the FCC required.

Last edited:

fasteddy64

A few unidentified things are at Taylor County (TX) - The RadioReference Wiki and in the other wiki articles linked at the bottom of that page.

There are no businesses, retail, schools, universities, hospitals, federal agencies, electric utilites, or wind farms in the db. See how many FCC licenses there are at FCC Licenses and Scanner Frequencies for Taylor County, Texas (TX)

There are several commercial trunked systems that aren't in the db.

Dyess AFB has a relatively new 380 MHz trunked system that has only 2 talkgroups listed. Dyess Air Force Base (TX) Unknown Talkgroups - The RadioReference Wiki lists the few I found during band openings. If it's anything like Sheppard they probably have over 60 talkgroups.

The Abilene EDACS system probably has way more talkgroups than what are in the db. Abilene (TX) TRS Unknown Talkgroups - The RadioReference Wiki lists the few that I found during band openings.

AEP's EDACS system probably needs to be updated. If it is anything like the sites they have around here and SW Oklahoma the LCNs and site numbers may be obsolete. They made major changes to the system several years ago or had incorrect data submitted originally.

Almost everything on the Taylor Co db page is listed as FM but most should be FMN unless they didn't narrowband as the FCC required.

I see your point. I have never taken the time to investigate so I don't know how much help I could be. I don't monitor any of the private business stuff so I cant even begin to guess on those.

All the County stuff has followed the narrow banding rules as best I can tell.

The Dyess system has about 11 or 12 talkgroups used extensively with a few others used from time to time. I don't know the official designations for them so I have not submitted any updates.

The city trunked system has quite a few, I have about 20 or so programmed into my portable, but many are unused. there are also many that are Pro-voice so I haven't thought about adding any of those. I could probably update some of them to the DB though.

I never listen to the AEP system so cant really comment on that.

I guess in the end I am of little or no help, but if anyone is interested in any specifics I would be happy to see what I can come up with.

fasteddy64

I have had Taylor County Sheriff's office in digital again, for 2 days now I have heard no analog.
155.535 NAC221
155.67 NAC221

Status
Not open for further replies.