Broken Arrow Communications Regional Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Oklahoma Office of Homeland Security - Broken Arrow Communications Regional Network

Found this interesting. I am staying in Jenks for work for a few more weeks, and I have already noticed that the Glenpool and Jenks EDACS systems are networked. Glenpool is site 04, and Jenks is site 05. Both carry identical traffic on the same talkgroups, so I know that they are networked now. Both sites show neighbor sites 01, and 02, which I am assuming is Bixby and Broken Arrow. I haven't picked up a CC on those yet, but I am on the bottom floor of a riverside apartment in Jenks, and I know the terrain is an issue around Tulsa. Glenpool and Jenks PD and FD are still active on EDACS. TG 00-002 was a fire page in Bixby's territory that I heard on the Glenpool site, so I believe they still at least have a presence on the EDACS system.

I have picked up Open Sky digital carriers on a few of the Broken Arrow frequencies reserved for their TRS, but if the link above is right, and there are four total sites, a quick look at the licenses of Broken Arrow and Wagoner County shows that there are two Open Sky sites licensed to Broken Arrow WNNM947, one in Jenks and one in Broken Arrow, and Wagoner County has one in Coweta and one in Locust Grove, license WQPW922, though the newest license WQOL773, only a week old, has a site in Wagoner using three of the frequencies from WQPW922.

I will try to get around some and see if I can verify the Bixby and Broken Arrow EDACS sites are in fact networked into one big system, and who all is still using them. I might be able to get a handle on Wagoner Co. as well if I have time.

If there is anyone here from the area that can help me out a bit or is ahead of me on all this, feel free to chime in.

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
I scan those sites often and I have it down as
Site 1=Broken Arrow public works
Site 2=Bixby
Site 4=Glenpool
Site 5=Jenks

And the networking is a little weird.
It appears that on the Broken Arrow EDACS site there is only Broken Arrow (BA) public works traffic.
On the Bixby site they have both Bixby and Glenpool police, fire, and Bixby Public Schools bus traffic
On the Glenpool site they have both Glenpool and Jenks police and fire traffic
And on the Jenks site I only hear Jenks Police, Fire, and Public works Traffic.

I'm still not sure what site 3 is, or if there is one.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the quick response. I will work on making a submission to the database to get these four systems combined into one for the EDACS systems, as I don't have administrative rights in Oklahoma. Since they are one system, we need to get them updated as such. Also, the Wagoner and BA Opensky systems need to be combined, so I will get that one as well, even though it is pointless to list them.

That said, is Wagoner Co using conventional or OKWIN any at all? Or are they silent due to OpenSky? Also does BA fire or police ever appear on OKWIN or EDACS?

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
I never hear BA fire or police in EDACS, OKWIN, or conventional.
But I'm guessing that BA maintains the EDACS system partly as a backup to the OpenSky System.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Thank you both. I put in a few submissions to get the two flavors of systems all combined into two networks.

wx5uif, when you say they are on conventional quite a bit, does that mean that Wagoner SO, and Wagoner PD are still dispatched on conventional?

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Thank you both. I put in a few submissions to get the two flavors of systems all combined into two networks.

wx5uif, when you say they are on conventional quite a bit, does that mean that Wagoner SO, and Wagoner PD are still dispatched on conventional?

SO and PD. A couple days ago I saw a Wagoner SO vehicle and it didn't have anythign that resembled a 800mhz antenna. (I've seen 800 antennas on most of the SOs vehicles though.)

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
SO and PD. A couple days ago I saw a Wagoner SO vehicle and it didn't have anythign that resembled a 800mhz antenna. (I've seen 800 antennas on most of the SOs vehicles though.)
Cool, that is what I wanted to know. I don't know how much money they have tied up in the OpenSky system, but OpenSky has had some well publicized big time failures, and I don't care how many ISSI or gateways you have, it does not meet the definition of interoperable. Hopefully they keep communications open to the public.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Even though most BA Officers were pretty vocal about how OS was spotty in coverage while they were still on the Edacs system they switched to it anyway. It is like anything else engineered and sold to work, they will work on it and work on it until they give up and replace or say that's all they can do. Most City' aren't going to admit to failure and wasted money. The State started a great system with the Motorola network they were using until you got these cities that wanted to go rouge.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Found a new one today when I had a little time to hunt: In the link in the OP of this thread, it says that they maintain three systems that are capable of being patched together. We already have the Open Sky system, with sites actually in Coweta and Broken Arrow, and the four site EDACS networked system. I found a two site P25 system on the Broken Arrow and Wagoner Co. licensed frequencies.

System ID: 396
WACN: 91FE5

Site 001-001 : Broken Arrow (WNNM947)
854.0375 voice
854.3125 control
854.4875 voice

Site 021-021 : Wagoner (WQOL773)
852.0625 voice
852.3250 control
852.6250 voice

Both sites are on the air and showing linked, but in the two hours I monitored them, there were no key ups. I guess this is the P25 layer, and it didn't dawn on me right away because the control channel sounded different from the normal raspy Motorola type P25 control channel. It is a Harris (MA/COM) P25 control channel, which makes since since the other two systems are Harris products.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Monitoring this system today (001-001) I am hearing 854.0375 as the control channel, several key ups have been detected on 854.3125.

peterjmag

I might also throw in another mystery. The Broken Arrow EDACS site is using 2 control channels. Today its 858.7875 which is shown to be LCN 3 and 860.7875 which is showing LCN 4. When 858.7875 is used I get all the Public Works talkgroups from the City of Broken Arrow. However, when I switch to monitor the 860.7875 I'm getting BA public works plus that 01-001 talkgroup that is not being heard on 858.7875. I have monitored this site for years when Fire and PD were still on it and I have never know it to have 2 control channels. 860.7875 is showing LCN of 4 which throws this whole site out of order. What is going on?

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring this system today (001-001) I am hearing 854.0375 as the control channel, several key ups have been detected on 854.3125.

I had voice traffic on TG7000 just a min ago. I'm trying to figure out what that was. It sounded like a dispatcher and not any kind of testing.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
I had voice traffic on TG7000 just a min ago. I'm trying to figure out what that was. It sounded like a dispatcher and not any kind of testing.

This might be wagoner county. I just heard a unit say "10-4 Wagoner County."

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I might also throw in another mystery. The Broken Arrow EDACS site is using 2 control channels. Today its 858.7875 which is shown to be LCN 3 and 860.7875 which is showing LCN 4. When 858.7875 is used I get all the Public Works talkgroups from the City of Broken Arrow. However, when I switch to monitor the 860.7875 I'm getting BA public works plus that 01-001 talkgroup that is not being heard on 858.7875. I have monitored this site for years when Fire and PD were still on it and I have never know it to have 2 control channels. 860.7875 is showing LCN of 4 which throws this whole site out of order. What is going on?

860.7875 shows as SID 31 and 858.7875 is showing as SID 01.

Status
Not open for further replies.