Carthage, MO Public Services Going Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphipps

Thanks much for the info. I'm still hearing Carthage on analog... so they must not be ready to switch just yet.

frazpo

Thanks much for the info. I'm still hearing Carthage on analog... so they must not be ready to switch just yet.

Steve, I was told anytime. I have brought this up a few times and im still curious as to why the MOSWIN database has the Carthage police and fire frequencies as future voice channels for the Carthage MOSWIN site. But I was under the impression it was NEXEDGE also.

Ideas or comments??

talkpair

jayres said:
They are going VHF Nexedge.
While I was searching the band looking for Nexedge control channels for the KAMO thread, I heard what sounded like Nexedge control channel audio on two frequencies that did not match anything KAMO electric coop is licensed for.

One was 151.085 and the other was 151.2875.......both are in the MoSWIN database as Carthage 2 and Carthage 1 respectively.

This was nearing the end of this morning's band opening and my scanner did not recognize either as P25.

Because of the distance involved and band conditions, I can't verify that either were coming from Carthage.

sphipps

One was 151.085 and the other was 151.2875.......both are in the MoSWIN database as Carthage 2 and Carthage 1 respectively.

I'm hearing the control signals on both of those channels here in Joplin. They are both fairly weak showing 1 bar or so on the 396XT... which is about right for Carthage reception at my location. They apparently are not P25. Have no doubt they're from the Carthage area and I haven't heard Carthage on analog in a day or so. Maybe they've finally switched?

frazpo

I'm hearing the control signals on both of those channels here in Joplin. They are both fairly weak showing 1 bar or so on the 396XT... which is about right for Carthage reception at my location. They apparently are not P25. Have no doubt they're from the Carthage area and I haven't heard Carthage on analog in a day or so. Maybe they've finally switched?

Need to get DSD fired back up I guess. That is trunking data we are hearing. However when you listen to Webb City's Nexedge system it is just data bursts when they are talking.

hitechRadio

They have switched to a 2 site trunked nexedge system. The reason for only hearing data bursts for Webbcity is they are not trunked, but are nexedge also. The are kinda on an island now, being everybody around is either P25 or going that route. Could of just added 2 repeater sites onto the States MOSWIN System and purchased Kenwood P25 Trunked radio's. And been interop with any agency on the MOSWIN statewide system. Probably been same cost or even cheaper too.

frazpo

Hitech radio - My thoughts exactly. Can a nexedge system communicate with a p25 system?? I have always wondered why Webb city did that also. The local write in the paper mentioned more interoperability but i am just not seeing it if that cannot be done. Now the county has p25, nexedge and simple VHF. After the tornado you would think that they would make that a priority .

iamhere300

Interoperability does NOT mean that everyone can talk on everyone elses system.

Interoperability with plain old analog VTAC channels is a wonderful thing.

Adding a couple of sites to the MOSWIN? Good luck with that. First of all, you would need the 20 frequencies on VHF, and those are very difficult to find now. Then you would need the money, and Carthage is going cheaper by the two nexedge sites. Remember, the two sites would have to be up to the states standards for a site.

Then of course, you need the state to agree to allow them to connect to the system,

Funny thing though. The city was looking heavily at TRBO, but a local company was such a doink that they ended up going to Nexedge, from TULSA!

hitechRadio

No nextedge will not work period with P25. It is kenwoods own Proriatary animal. Yes interoperability covers alot of things, but lets just imagine here for a second. That they did add sites to MOSWIN, and had a county wide system and then Joplin was on MOSWIN, add newton county into that. Imagine if this was all in place when the tornado happened in joplin. It would not have mattered if you where VHF, 700 or 800. They could switch to the regional talk groups pre programed in radios. The only agencies that would have to patched in would be people not on moswin or out of state. Imagine even though you have a 800 radio you could switch to carthage fire, and talk directly to them on there VHF radio. No patching needed. And as far as moswin adding a couple site sites in carthage, they would more than willing to help them find the needed frequencies. Also keep in mind with the sites connected to MOSWIN, and future features Moswin adds to the system you pretty much get those features for free. All that an agency would have to worry about is there subscriber equipment. We are surronded by P25 Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas not to mention all the agencies in Missouri.

iamhere300

No nextedge will not work period with P25. It is kenwoods own Proriatary animal. Yes interoperability covers alot of things, but lets just imagine here for a second. That they did add sites to MOSWIN, and had a county wide system and then Joplin was on MOSWIN, add newton county into that. Imagine if this was all in place when the tornado happened in joplin. It would not have mattered if you where VHF, 700 or 800. They could switch to the regional talk groups pre programed in radios. The only agencies that would have to patched in would be people not on moswin or out of state. Imagine even though you have a 800 radio you could switch to carthage fire, and talk directly to them on there VHF radio. No patching needed. And as far as moswin adding a couple site sites in carthage, they would more than willing to help them find the needed frequencies. Also keep in mind with the sites connected to MOSWIN, and future features Moswin adds to the system you pretty much get those features for free. All that an agency would have to worry about is there subscriber equipment. We are surronded by P25 Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas not to mention all the agencies in Missouri.

Picture this. Every 24 hour PSAP in the state has MOSWIN capability. Carthage responding to Joplin would merely talk on their own channels until they got close to Joplin, then switch to interop channels. Dispatch advises Joplin on MOSWIN that people and resources are enroute. The Chief of the FD has MOSWIN capability, so he can update as well. The FD continues to operate on a VTAC channel, allowing perfect interoperability.

You do not WANT everyone on the same channels. You would put sector 1, operations on one channel, LGX on another, EMS on another, command on another, law on another etc. Same thing for sector 2. Not all of those need to be on the same band, nor on MOSWIN.

And no matter who works to find the needed frequencies, if they are not there, they are not there. The state APCO coordinator is an employee of the Department of Safety - if he cannot find the frequencies, I don't know who can. Bear in mind also, the frequencies in use have come from many sources, part 80 frequencies, part 90 frequencies, NTIA channels, part 22 channels, and National Guard frequencies.

But, no matter how hard you strain, you can only do so much. You only have a finite number of frequencies, when you consider co-channel, adjacent channel, intermod, spacing, etc.

In your scenario, who did you think is going to pay for the extra MOSWIN sites in Carthage? The state has their mobile coverage, they have NO reason to pay for more sites, so the cost would fall on Carthage. Two complete sites, and a minimum of $1250.00 per single band P25 Trunking VHF radio, the Nexedge solution is by far cheaper for the city.

hitechRadio

Picture this. Every 24 hour PSAP in the state has MOSWIN capability. Carthage responding to Joplin would merely talk on their own channels until they got close to Joplin, then switch to interop channels. Dispatch advises Joplin on MOSWIN that people and resources are enroute. The Chief of the FD has MOSWIN capability, so he can update as well. The FD continues to operate on a VTAC channel, allowing perfect interoperability.

You do not WANT everyone on the same channels. You would put sector 1, operations on one channel, LGX on another, EMS on another, command on another, law on another etc. Same thing for sector 2. Not all of those need to be on the same band, nor on MOSWIN.

And no matter who works to find the needed frequencies, if they are not there, they are not there. The state APCO coordinator is an employee of the Department of Safety - if he cannot find the frequencies, I don't know who can. Bear in mind also, the frequencies in use have come from many sources, part 80 frequencies, part 90 frequencies, NTIA channels, part 22 channels, and National Guard frequencies.

But, no matter how hard you strain, you can only do so much. You only have a finite number of frequencies, when you consider co-channel, adjacent channel, intermod, spacing, etc.

In your scenario, who did you think is going to pay for the extra MOSWIN sites in Carthage? The state has their mobile coverage, they have NO reason to pay for more sites, so the cost would fall on Carthage. Two complete sites, and a minimum of $1250.00 per single band P25 Trunking VHF radio, the Nexedge solution is by far cheaper for the city.

P25 is the standard for public saftey. By going Nexedge trunking they are locking themselves to one manufacurer. Kinda of like when Joplin went 800mhz trunking in 93 wich was a proprietary system and only Motorola radios could be used on the system. Everyone was up in arms about the change. In 2007 I believe it was Joplin went with an APCO P25 trunked system thus a non proprietary system. Allowing people to pick and choose there manufacture. I never said that nexedge was a bad technology, but it has it's place in manufacturing, taxi, towing. Not public saftey, same goes with Mototrbo.

It is not just Fire we are talking about, the ability for jurstictions to talk to one another on the fly by simply changing to Example county wide pusuit talkgroup, or EMS that same abilty Mass incident talkgroup. Or a town strickened when a tornado rips thru town. Eliminating a third party dispatcher so they can handle the 911 calls. The ability for Public saftey officers to talk directly to each other, can save lives. Eventually users will be able to visitor roam onto another states system across state lines if the need was there.

As far as cost for two site in Carthage, they may have been very suprised on how cheap a P25 site costs. It sounds like they just jumped on the nexedge sales man sales pitch with out doing just a little research. As far as carthage paying for the sites, I guarantee you there would be grants avaliable that would pay for most if not all the costs of the sites and the radio's.

Again P25 is the nation wide standard for public saftey. The reason for this, is back before digital was even talked about. All we had to worry about was what band an agency was on, and that was not dificult to overcome.
Once digital was on the horizon APCO (Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials) decided they needed to create a standard for digital. If they did not we would be facing not only what band a agency was on but now, what digital format there using. Thus we have P25 and now Phase 2 TDMA of P25 being implemented on some systems. And I am willing to bet eventually on MOSWIN. As they move P25 into the future they are making sure it is bacwards compatible. And because its APCO, Public saftey has a say in how the technology grows and what features they would like.

Nexedge on the other hand is not governed by APCO. Kenwood can take the technology any direction they want. Without the input of any Public Officials

Yes you can still be interop on the same band in convetional analog, but when all the repeaters have gone digital. Now your talking simplex, it does not talk very far, great for on scene comm though and highly recommended. But that is not the point.

If I had the decision to make it would be P25 site's using either MOSWIN or Joplin as the Master with Kenwood P25 Trunked radio's. That is if Kenwood was the chepeast P25 radio Bid. Out of ICOM, TAIT, THALES, EFJOHNSON, MIDLAND, RELM, BK RADIO, SIMOCO, VERTEX, DATRON, CASSADIAN and MOTOROLA just to name a few. Oh and from what I understand Nexedge radio's can be flashed to do P25 trunking.

And as far as everyone being on the same channel or same band I never said, or implied that.

hitechRadio

Interoperability does NOT mean that everyone can talk on everyone elses system.

Interoperability with plain old analog VTAC channels is a wonderful thing.

Adding a couple of sites to the MOSWIN? Good luck with that. First of all, you would need the 20 frequencies on VHF, and those are very difficult to find now. Then you would need the money, and Carthage is going cheaper by the two nexedge sites. Remember, the two sites would have to be up to the states standards for a site.

Then of course, you need the state to agree to allow them to connect to the system,

Funny thing though. The city was looking heavily at TRBO, but a local company was such a doink that they ended up going to Nexedge, from TULSA!

I am not disagreeing with you on the National interop channels be it Vtac's, Utac's, 7tac's or 8tac's. But those will be used in most scenarios as simplex only on scene comm's.

Actually adding sites to MOSWIN, is no problem at all. In fact that is one of the reasons the state went VHF, because they knew that most of the agency's in the state were VHF, making it easier for the rural agencies. Moswin has asked for use of agencies frequencies on the Moswin system, in return Moswin would give them radios and/or sites. As far as 20 frequencies on VHF with out doing a study that number could be right or wrong. The nice thing is each site could have a mixed number of channels depending on needed capacities projected. Carthage area would need more, Sarcoxie area would need less. If the sites were 700mhz or even 800mhz, finding frequencies would be no problem, and the benefit of 30mhz repeater spacing on 700 and 45mhz on 800mhz. Is a great benifit for on scene comes with multiple agencies on different talkgroups. VHF you usually are never sure what kinda split you may get during licensing which can and has caused interference problems. But the band choice is a moot point. I think you would be hard pressed to get agencies around here to leave the VHF band. Even though there are some serious benifits of going to 700 or 800.

And the sites have to up to the states standards? If the State foot the bill for the sites they would want them to meet their standards (it's not really their standards, it's called R56 standards) Basically insures proper grounding, the main part of the standard. And why would you not want to meet that standard, protects the investment made. You don't want to be replacing equipment every time a lighting storm comes through. If the county purchased the site's they could put them in a dirty old wooden shack wooden shack, up to them. But I would not recommend it.

I think Carthage made a good decision going Digital Trunking, I believe and hope it will work for them. I just think for interop (VTAC is only part of interop) looking into the future long term they have chosen the wrong digital format. APCO P25 should have been top of there list for research of a new system.

Did you know Labette County Kansas installed a 1.1m dollar county wide system including radio's. They only had to pay about $160,000 out of county pocket with the grant they recieved. One of the reasons they got the grant was because of the Tornado. Because there were not able to talk with othere agencies when they arrived to help. Because all of the Interop VHF frequencies were being used. It is just sad that the county that the tornado HAPPENED in cannot do the same. If the agencies in the county would do a little work and apply for the grants avaliable, maybe we could have a county wide system. Labette county may have fewer First Responders in the county, so they may not have needed as many radio's as Jasper county would need. But they got it done and now have a state of the art system there.

Last edited:

iamhere300

Actually adding sites to MOSWIN, is no problem at all. In fact that is one of the reasons the state went VHF, because they knew that most of the agency's in the state were VHF, making it easier for the rural agencies. Moswin has asked for use of agencies frequencies on the Moswin system, in return Moswin would give them radios and/or sites. As far as 20 frequencies on VHF with out doing a study that number could be right or wrong. The nice thing is each site could have a mixed number of channels depending on needed capacities projected. Carthage area would need more, Sarcoxie area would need less. If the sites were 700mhz or even 800mhz, finding frequencies would be no problem, and the benefit of 30mhz repeater spacing on 700 and 45mhz on 800mhz. Is a great benifit for on scene comes with multiple agencies on different talkgroups. VHF you usually are never sure what kinda split you may get during licensing which can and has caused interference problems. But the band choice is a moot point. I think you would be hard pressed to get agencies around here to leave the VHF band. Even though there are some serious benifits of going to 700 or 800.
Actually, there will only be 5 channel sites. Technically of course there could be more or less, but that is all they are putting on the system. For a 5 channel site, you need 10 channels, for the two sites you mention you would need 20 frequencies. VHF channels are at a premium - just because you can find 20 does not mean they will work in that area due to co channel and adjacent, concerns about intermod, concerns about what can be used on a combiner, etc.

800 is what the state advises they will use when any sites are added at this point. Cost plays heavy again, 2k or more per portable or mobile. Add to that, convincing the Chief of a Fire Department that has an annual budget of 6k to buy 2000 dollar radios, even on a grant where they have to put up 10%, is fun.

And the sites have to up to the states standards? If the State foot the bill for the sites they would want them to meet their standards (it's not really their standards, it's called R56 standards) Basically insures proper grounding, the main part of the standard. And why would you not want to meet that standard, protects the investment made. You don't want to be replacing equipment every time a lighting storm comes through. If the county purchased the site's they could put them in a dirty old wooden shack wooden shack, up to them. But I would not recommend it.

LOL... The state can set any standards they want - exceeding Motorola R56 standards, or not achieving Motorola R56 standards. Even Motorola R56 standards do not cover everything at a site either.

And the county could not put them into a shack, as I stated, they will have to meet the state standards.

I think Carthage made a good decision going Digital Trunking, I believe and hope it will work for them. I just think for interop (VTAC is only part of interop) looking into the future long term they have chosen the wrong digital format. APCO P25 should have been top of there list for research of a new system.

I can say this s l o w l y. P25 DID get researched on the Carthage system, but was rejected primarily due to cost.

Did you know Labette County Kansas installed a 1.1m dollar county wide system including radio's. They only had to pay about $160,000 out of county pocket with the grant they recieved. One of the reasons they got the grant was because of the Tornado. Because there were not able to talk with othere agencies when they arrived to help. Because all of the Interop VHF frequencies were being used. It is just sad that the county that the tornado HAPPENED in cannot do the same. If the agencies in the county would do a little work and apply for the grants avaliable, maybe we could have a county wide system. Labette county may have fewer First Responders in the county, so they may not have needed as many radio's as Jasper county would need. But they got it done and now have a state of the art system there.

So what about their system makes them more interoperable with say, Nevada MO? What makes them more interoperable than if Vinita OK was responding up to them?

I used to have a tower there in Chetopa that I gave to the county, they ended up not using it though.

iamhere300

P25 is the standard for public saftey. By going Nexedge trunking they are locking themselves to one manufacurer. Kinda of like when Joplin went 800mhz trunking in 93 wich was a proprietary system and only Motorola radios could be used on the system. Everyone was up in arms about the change. In 2007 I believe it was Joplin went with an APCO P25 trunked system thus a non proprietary system. Allowing people to pick and choose there manufacture. I never said that nexedge was a bad technology, but it has it's place in manufacturing, taxi, towing. Not public saftey, same goes with Mototrbo.

Many agencies cannot afford P25. No matter how much you stomp and talk about grants, grants go away, grants don't pay for maintenance, grants don't last forever.

It is not just Fire we are talking about, the ability for jurstictions to talk to one another on the fly by simply changing to Example county wide pusuit talkgroup, or EMS that same abilty Mass incident talkgroup. Or a town strickened when a tornado rips thru town. Eliminating a third party dispatcher so they can handle the 911 calls. The ability for Public saftey officers to talk directly to each other, can save lives. Eventually users will be able to visitor roam onto another states system across state lines if the need was there.

As far as cost for two site in Carthage, they may have been very suprised on how cheap a P25 site costs. It sounds like they just jumped on the nexedge sales man sales pitch with out doing just a little research. As far as carthage paying for the sites, I guarantee you there would be grants avaliable that would pay for most if not all the costs of the sites and the radio's.

Name me 1 grant that will pay for police, fire, EMS, to upgrade everything they have to P25, along with the infrastructure for everything they need. Like you state, you guarantee they are there, what are they?

Lots of grants to pay for some radios, or some infrastructure for some disciplines, but nothing that is going to cover all of it, even with a 20% share.

Bear in mind, this is what I do. My last communications grant that is just being installed was for a 995k system - no portables or mobiles.

Again P25 is the nation wide standard for public saftey. The reason for this, is back before digital was even talked about. All we had to worry about was what band an agency was on, and that was not dificult to overcome.
Once digital was on the horizon APCO (Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials) decided they needed to create a standard for digital. If they did not we would be facing not only what band a agency was on but now, what digital format there using. Thus we have P25 and now Phase 2 TDMA of P25 being implemented on some systems. And I am willing to bet eventually on MOSWIN. As they move P25 into the future they are making sure it is bacwards compatible. And because its APCO, Public saftey has a say in how the technology grows and what features they would like.

Nexedge on the other hand is not governed by APCO. Kenwood can take the technology any direction they want. Without the input of any Public Officials

Yes you can still be interop on the same band in convetional analog, but when all the repeaters have gone digital. Now your talking simplex, it does not talk very far, great for on scene comm though and highly recommended. But that is not the point.

LOL. I love this. News flash - a manufacturer can still take the P25 standard, and add features which make it totally propitiatory such as OTAR, ADP encryption, etc. Case in point - Berks County PA. P25 standards based 800 Mhz trunked system. They got two AFG grants to provide many (but by no means all) of the portables and mobiles for the Fire Departments, and just paid for the others, and the infrastructure. P25 Standards based. Only Motorola P25 radios can work on it.

frazpo

They have switched to a 2 site trunked nexedge system. The reason for only hearing data bursts for Webbcity is they are not trunked, but are nexedge also. The are kinda on an island now, being everybody around is either P25 or going that route. Could of just added 2 repeater sites onto the States MOSWIN System and purchased Kenwood P25 Trunked radio's. And been interop with any agency on the MOSWIN statewide system. Probably been same cost or even cheaper too.

I had DSD running on those two sites and received nothing. The signal was most likely not good enough to decode but I figured it would at least try to. I have ran DSD on a single Nexedge frequency so I am not sure what to expect from running it on a trunked site. What should it do??

Status
Not open for further replies.