idea or exaples of ways to organize freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesjoint

Premium Subscriber
been scanning on rdio shack scanners for 25 years, finally moved into this century and bagged a 330t uniden. this beast has way more space that i will use, the frequency management issue is a bit overwhelming at this point. i thought if some of you users with the newer trunking rigs could share your ways of organizing the frequencies you listen too, i too could enjoy this full featured rig,, thank you

mike grace
ke4pjm

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
if the frequencies are in a single system put them in ascending order (lowest to highest)
freescan software Sixspot Software will do this with one click

for systems you could put
1) Police
2) Fire
3) EMS
4) Misc

I like doing
7) West 8) North 9) East
............0) South

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I think he means how do we organize the agencies we monitor, rather than the exact frequency order.
I have my city's PD in the first scanlist (bank). A neighboring PD is 2nd. Then I group several others on the Westside of the metro area in the 3rd.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

(I don't listen to the 3rd list much.) Phoenix PD trunk is 4th, then the Sheriff's Office trunk, other county agencies trunk, then state conventional. Conventional VHF/UHF/800 fire is 8th, RWC (Phoenix et al) fire is 9th. Wildland is 10th. Etc.

KB7MIB

Generally, the farther away an agency is, the higher the SL they're programmed into. The highest SL's include Interoperability, Luke AFB, & a utility's system that includes Law & Emergency Managment. (I'm considering some reallocation of the SL's.)

nanZor

Mike - don't be scared of the dma.

Maybe this will help from a conventional programming standpoint - whereas previously you used a bank/channel setup (or scanlist/channel in modern RS terms), with Uniden's DMA, a new wrinkle has been added: groups. Oh, and instead of bank or scanlist, Uniden uses the term "system".

Basically, the setup is essentially this:
Systems > Groups > Channels.

The rule here is that you must have at least ONE group into which you program your channels per system. If you did this with only one group, that would be the closest emulation of the old bank/channel setup.

Should you need a little more organization, you can start using more than one group.

Unlike the old days, toggling these banks/scanlists/systems on and off is done with a user-defined "SQK" key of your choice - unlike the hard-coded keys that manufacturers forced you to use in the past. Reconfiguation on the fly is a snap - no more cut-n-paste to move things around!

In addition, if you have more than one group, you can assign "GQK" keys of your own liking to toggle groups on and off within that system. And of course at the very end you can do temporary or permanent lockouts of channels.

Sometimes coming from 25 years of the old-school, perhaps just using one group per system is the easiest way to start if you want to emulate some of your old scanner setups.

As you gain experience, some of your simple systems might never need more than one group. With more complex systems, the question you ask yourself is "Do I want to create another group within this system", or "Should I just go ahead and create another system instead?"

This is probably too much already, but also be sure to see this:
Easier to Read BR330T Scanner Manual

Don't try to understand it all in one day. Sometimes it takes two. :) Seriously, there are so many options it can seem very daunting, but just concentrate on what you need to know NOW, and then pick up the rest little by little.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikesjoint

Premium Subscriber
thank you all.. i believe, since i travel into several counties ,, i am goint to make each county a system, and have a couple groups amongst the systems,, maybe i can manage that ,, thank you all for the informative and friedly advice. i love this place

Mike Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.