What's with all the whackers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
Why is it that when somebody is chasing in an urban environment, caution just flies out the friggin window? I was always taught, and am a firm believer in having two people in the vehicle, one to drive and one to spot.

We just had an individual that was chasing in town during yesterday's weather event, and was involved in a MVA, more than likely due to the fact that he was more involved in watching a rotating wall cloud than what was going on around him.

Thankfully, nobody was hurt, but the potential was there. If you're going to insist on chasing, at least use common sense, and either have a driver, or park in a safe place, preferably OFF the roadway. The outcome could have been quite different.

WB4CS

Back when I went through storm spotter classes we were taught to be spotters and not chasers. Our class instructor was adamant about being stationary and reporting from one location. The only time they wanted you to move locations is if you were following a storm and there wasn't another spotter available in the area the storm was moving to.

Somehow movies and TV shows have glamorized storm spotting to the point that some see it as a sport. Thanks to the same movies and TV shows there's been a paradigm shift in what storm spotting is about, and now more people seem to be obsessed with chasing for the thrill of it, rather than spotting and reporting information.

I've met several LEO's that cringe at the phrase "storm spotter" because they associate them with causing accidents and getting in the way of emergency operations during a storm. I do my best to let them know that not all storm spotters get their training from the movie "Twister."

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

LOL! Love the reference to "Twister."

I was trained the same way - sit still and spot.

Nobody should be "chasing" in urban areas, or anywhere that does not give an unobstructed view over a long distance.

KR0SIV

Films don't glorify storm spotting, they glorify storm chasing.

The problem is there are too many idiots to seem to think they are both one in the same......
As other have said, I was trained to sit and spot.... Not go flying around town.

oh, and don't get me started on flashers.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I would not be surprised if the government outlaws all storm chasing, especially after the unfortunate death of the two gentlemen in OK, who were actually professional tornado experts, and the tornado still got them. I have been a spotter for over 40 years but never chased. If I move at all it will be in the opposite direction.

I remember years ago when I was a patrol deputy I was blocking a highway which led to an area where a tornado had been reported, and a couple guys drove around my road block. After I pulled them over they said they were storm chasers. I advised them of the dangers of such and also advised them to go home and stay there, and if I saw them again today I would arrest them. Well I never saw them again, ever.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
LOL! Love the reference to "Twister."

I was trained the same way - sit still and spot.

Nobody should be "chasing" in urban areas, or anywhere that does not give an unobstructed view over a long distance.

Yeah ....COW....! :lol:

n9zas

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I would not be surprised if the government outlaws all storm chasing...
How would you suggest they do that? Why not just enforce the existing laws pertaining to exceeding the speed limit, disregarding automatic signals, disregarding stop signs, blocking public thoroughfares, and reckless driving? The video evidence is damning and self-incriminating as you can see in many chaser videos that they are going 80 MPH down two-lane country roads (I've noticed Delorme mapping programs on the computers of many chasers and some Delorme displays clearly indicate the vehicle's speed), running stop signs, running traffic signals, etc. I remember one video shown recently in which the driver approaches a traffic signal-controlled intersection and says "I have to stop" and another person in the car says "Go, go, go." In my opinion, we don't need more laws, just enforcement of the existing laws.
...especially after the unfortunate death of the two gentlemen in OK, who were actually professional tornado experts, and the tornado still got them.
Actually, it was three people: Tim Samaras, his son (the team's videographer), and Tim's storm chasing partner.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
How would you suggest they do that? Why not just enforce the existing laws pertaining to exceeding the speed limit, disregarding automatic signals, disregarding stop signs, blocking public thoroughfares, and reckless driving? The video evidence is damning and self-incriminating as you can see in many chaser videos that they are going 80 MPH down two-lane country roads (I've noticed Delorme mapping programs on the computers of many chasers and some Delorme displays clearly indicate the vehicle's speed), running stop signs, running traffic signals, etc. In my opinion, we don't need more laws, just enforcement of the existing laws.

I am not suggesting they do that, I said it would not surprise me they way our government over-reacts to news events.

Why does everyone on here have to dissect every little post, then make false statements about what someone posted.

With all due respect, you're an administrator you should know better and be setting an example. What happened to this zero tolerance policy you all are always referring to. Or is this just another case of a scanner geek who never actually worked in public safety who hates cops because he got a ticket once.

Actually, it was three people: Tim Samaras, his son (the team's videographer), and Tim's storm chasing partner

I vaguely remembered this incident and referred to it. I wasn't reporting facts as a news agency.

So now I will sit back and wait for my infraction. Good day sir.

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
That would never happen - even if some legislature passed it, the courts would quickly throw it out. You can't ticket or arrest people for driving on public roads just because there is a tornado nearby.

D

DaveNF2G

You can if there is a mandatory evacuation in effect. First, of course, the Tornado Alley states would have to pass the appropriate legislation, like the hurricane zone states have done.

Very few chasers would be stopped by stepped up enforcement of existing laws or by new laws "banning" storm chasing. During a tornado or severe thunderstorm outbreak, the police are very busy doing other things.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
You can if there is a mandatory evacuation in effect. First, of course, the Tornado Alley states would have to pass the appropriate legislation, like the hurricane zone states have done.

Not at all the same... Evacuation order requires people to leave the affected area. That would result in even MORE cars on the roadway. And could not be implemented in the timeframe necessary for a tornado.

D

DaveNF2G

I was responding to your "can't be done" comment about ticketing people for being on the roads.

A better example might have been a local State of Emergency where all roads are officially closed and the local chief law enforcement authority has issued a "no unnecessary driving" or "official vehicles only" type of order. This happens during severe winter storms here in NY.

Were you saying that such tickets can't be issued because it would not be legal, or because it would not be practical to catch people? If the former, there are circumstances under which it would be perfectly legal - see above. If the latter, I tend to agree with you. :)

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Well, obviously the latter primarily. But the former too. To declare a local State of Emergency takes time. You have to draw up the paperwork, get it signed by the proper authorities, and disseminate info to the state, media, etc. That can't be done in a tornado event where the storm is gone long before you even finished typing the request :)

D

DaveNF2G

Well, obviously the latter primarily. But the former too. To declare a local State of Emergency takes time. You have to draw up the paperwork, get it signed by the proper authorities, and disseminate info to the state, media, etc. That can't be done in a tornado event where the storm is gone long before you even finished typing the request :)

You must not have EAS where you live. A State of Emergency declaration can be known to the general public within less than one minute around here. Paperwork is already drawn up - it's part of the law.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Well, nobody I know of has an EAS decoder these days. But that's beside the point. If you know anything about tornadoes, they move. You cannot go neighborhood by neighborhood, declare a state of emergency, and shut it down. By the same token, you can't declare a state of emergency and order the closing of an entire county. It never would pass court muster.

mancow

Database Admin
Look at Boston the morons voluntarily "sheltered in place" while they turned it into a scene from East Germany. People will accept anything if you scare them enough.

Confuzzled

Maybe any Tornado Warning zone could be considered an automatic, but temporary State Of Emergency zone. Activated when the Warning is issued and expires 30 minutes after the Warning does.

Once you do something like that, wording can be worked out more specific to chasers than spotters or local residents who have legitimate reason to be in those areas. I'd say double or triple traffic fines the way they do in road construction zones, but that would be too easily abused by too many cops.

And I still think they should be required to have a placard with their name, contact information and next of kin taped to the dashboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.