• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Are XPR and APX palm mics interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phone_guy

Premium Subscriber
Looking to use the smaller XPR mobile mic on an APX mobile with 05 head. Looks like the same connector but haven't been able to try one and confirm operation. Anybody know or have tried....???

fdscan

According to Motorola's website, the IMPRES mobile mics you're thinking of are only compatible with the XPR mobiles, as the XTL series palm mics are only compatible with the XTLs (shown in the "Compatible Products" tab of each mic). However, this is most likely a marketing thing - but don't take my word for it, I could be wrong. However, the connectors look identical. Not to mention, the two palm mics with keypads are identical as well but have different compatible models, one (XPR) is IMPRES and the other (XTL/APX) doesn't seem to be. So basically they seem interchangeable, but one set is IMPRES, while the other isn't. I don't know if there's any technological or hidden changes that could prevent them being interchangeable, but there very well could be. Don't take this as an expert opinion, just a peek on the Motorola website.

Little late, but happy Independence Day!

EDIT: W8RMH beat me. But I kind of just gave the justification to what he said, haha.

phone_guy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys....Yeah I read the website and know that Moto doesnt list them as compatible but I'm guessing this is just marketing...The connectors do look identical. Was just hoping someone had already tried it but looks like I'll just order one up and give it a shot.

scanner99

Premium Subscriber
No they are not compatible. I put an xtl microphone on a xpr4350 and it caused issue on the analog side. I dont recall there being an issue on digital side.

N4KVE

I use a HMN1090A mike which is advertised for the APX, & XTL line on my XPR4550 & it works perfectly in analog, & digital. This is the full size hand mike that looks similar to mikes that pre date the Maxtrac.

phone_guy

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm....Interesting. I was looking to go the other way, use the smaller Impress mic on the APX

fdscan

Personally I'd go the same way MOONBOOTS did, but it's all a preference thing. I just like that mic style.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
I use a potato mic from a XTL with my XPR5550 in the truck. Works great. Never have had any issues on analog or digital. Audio tone is also great.

Status
Not open for further replies.