Detroit, MI - Detroit Police, Emergency Radio System Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivermersey

Premium Subscriber
Detroit, MI - Detroit emergency radio failure; MSP system in use as backup

Police Chief James Craig 'appalled' by Detroit emergency radio failure; MSP system in use as backup

Police Chief James Craig 'appalled' by Detroit emergency radio failure; MSP system in use as backup

DETROIT (WXYZ) - Detroit’s emergency dispatch system failed early Friday morning and the city's new police chief says he's "appalled" that a redundant system did not kick in.

Read more: Police Chief James Craig 'appalled' by Detroit emergency radio failure; MSP system in use as backup

Last edited by a moderator:

kjczarzasty

Premium Subscriber
They have multiple sites and a fall back contingency with Verizon I believe and seeing as they are on the Michigan Public Safety system they should be able to reassign to the State PD towers for a fall back as well. Possibly the problem was with new combined communication center that they were suppose to have just opened. From multple fire buff trips to Detroit I can say even on the best days the system has alot of problems. Must have been a major melt down and chaos in the "D" with all communications down.

Last edited:

rivermersey

Premium Subscriber
Detroit dispatch system back online; police chief promises accountability

Detroit dispatch system back online; police chief promises accountability | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Detroit dispatch system back online; police chief promises accountability

Detroit Police Chief James Craig vowed Friday to get to the bottom of a service failure that shut down the city’s police and emergency dispatch system for more than 15 hours.

“This shouldn’t have happened,” said Craig, pledging that it would not happen again. “We will have accountability.”

Dispatch services for the city’s police, fire and EMS units went down about 5:30 a.m. Friday, forcing the departments to rely on cell phones to route their units to calls for service.

The problems delayed police response to 17 Priority 1 calls and 110 nonpriority calls, officials said. They indicated that none of those situations led to anyone getting hurt, although in one case, the response to a sexual assault reported after the fact was delayed.

Detroit dispatch system back online; police chief promises accountability | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Josh

Really? I've found the Detroit sub-site to be first-class for communications. I work in the 'D' and have taken my radio there on several occasions to hear the activity and I've always had great signal and have never heard any unintelligible audio come across my radio. With 28 frequencies in use on a 10-site simulcast system, it'll be tough to get decent coverage from the outlying sites, hopefully they get it/got it figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.