KDH and Station 50 Ocean Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdhobx111

Can someone please bring back the radio traffic for these 2 departments on dare county feed as a separate feed. Therefore allowing people interested in listening to them without police, fire, ems another choice. Also if you could include all ocean rescue from corolla as well on same feed and call it outer banks ocean rescue channel.

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
I took down those VHF channels mainly due to the fact I can't pick them up well (I don't have a VHF antenna so you could barely hear what they were saying), but there was also a lot of casual traffic. The KDH ocean rescue VHF channel is used solely by the lifeguards on the beach while some of the supervisor and all of the dispatch traffic is on the P25 system. Since it's their own VHF channel, they are free to talk more casually (mostly just status checks and the like), but it causes a 2+ second delay in scanning Dare's P-25 and NC's VIPER system every time they key the mic (which is frequently), and the majority of the time nothing is heard, so it causes a lot of missed traffic

As for Station 50's VHF channel, I may turn that back on, but it's hit or miss if I can pick up anything. They do use that channel for incidents (mainly for vehicle-to-vehicle comms). I'll see if I can adjust a few settings to pick it up better.

As for Surf Rescue (Duck/Southern Shores), I can't pick up their VHF lifeguard channel from my location , but it isn't used much and their supervisors use the P25 system almost exclusively for everything, so nothing is missed there. I also can't pick up Corolla, and that's outside of my target area. All of Nags Head and Kitty Hawk lifeguard and ocean rescue personnel use the P25 system as you know.

If I created an ocean rescue channel, it would be dead 9 and a half months out of the year. Anyway, I will see about getting Station 50 VHF tac channel turned on again. As for Kill Devil Hills, all of the more serious stuff is heard on the P25 system, so you aren't really missing much.

kdhobx111

Thanks jsncrso

I understand, my son works for KDH and when we are back home it was nice to listen to what was going on.
Thanks,

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
When I was down there two weeks ago. I heard a lot of the barrier island (Rodanthe to Hatteras Island) ocean rescues operating on the 155.715 Mhz Vhf Channel.

All I was able to hear was the mainland ocean rescues being dispatched on the countywide paging channel of 155.7375 Mhz. After dispatch they switched over to their respective talkgroup on the Dare Co. 800 Mhz. system.

David

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
I believe that is the NPS lifeguard frequency. Any emergency is always reported and dispatched over the Dare P25 system and all can be heard on my feed, the VHF channels mostly contain chatter between individual lifeguards. All ocean rescue agencies have both dispatch and tac talk groups on the P25 system. However, only Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, and partially Surf Rescue use the P25 system for lifeguard tac, and all agencies use the P25 system for emergencies and other incidents that need to be relayed to Dare Central.

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
I understand, my son works for KDH and when we are back home it was nice to listen to what was going on.
Thanks,

If I change antennas or configure my existing one to better pick up KDH lifeguard tac, I'll most likely turn it back on. Hopefully they will join the P25 system, but it seems unlikely due to the amount of lifeguards and cost of radios, so that's why only the supervisors have them.

kdhobx111

Thanks, jsncrso for your help in trying to fix your situation. We really appreciate that, hopefully you will be able to get them back online. I too believe they will not join the P25 system because of the costs.

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
I made some adjustments and turned the KDH lifeguard tac channel back on for a couple of days, and unfortunately there were no improvements, so I had to turn it back off. I may add a VHF antenna in the future, and if I do, I may scan that channel in the feed again, but I wouldn't count on it. My apologies! Station 50 VHF rescue ops are back online though.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I see in the database that KDH lifeguards have a UHF channel (453.750), however this thread is discussing a VHF channel for their use. If the UHF info is correct, is that a repeater or simplex? Simplex would imply that the input/output freqs are the same (it's not in the database). Perhaps VHF was a typo also? Thanks!

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
I see in the database that KDH lifeguards have a UHF channel (453.750), however this thread is discussing a VHF channel for their use. If the UHF info is correct, is that a repeater or simplex? Simplex would imply that the input/output freqs are the same (it's not in the database). Perhaps VHF was a typo also? Thanks!

VHF was a typo, I meant UHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.