I Passed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
I passed my technican exam today!! I know I can't transmit until my call sign appears in the ULS database but I was wondering what type of radio I should start with? I want to purchase a portable for skywarn and a mobile for home. What would you recommend that is good with a budget, yet good with quality?

Thanks,
Quentin
qjschum@gmail.com

Congrats, and welcome to the hobby.

There are about a 300 answers coming to your questions. Lots of HAMs now start out with an HT, then add a Mobile or Base. Before the HT, most started out with a Base. I know several still using their HT mobile, with an amp.

Ask, (as you have here), look around the Hamfests, HRO and the other various stores websites, and check the local clubs for equipment for sale. Some folks like ebay. Beware on ebay, (aka "Fleabay") as I've seen people bid used equipment up past the cost of new.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I won't get into which manufacturer is better or which radio you should choose. When looking into ham radio before the exam, I am sure you saw and heard many things about radios. And the type of radio really depends on what is used in your area. I would suggest the minimum requirements are a mobile radio, a base station and an HT. An HT really doesn't cut it in a mobile situation unless other accessories are also purchased. As in every aspect of life, one learns by doing so having a mobile radio that will work in almost all conditions and a base station for the same reason and to listen to operations that are occurring around you 24/7/365, you will learn things quickly. And I would suggest that these radios all be dual band 2m/70cms at least.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Since there usually is a lot of activity on 2 meters compared to 440, I would start there. Both kenwood and Yaesu have mobile rigs that are around $150 new. Personally I own the kenwood 281 and its a great first radio for me. You don't need to jump right to a 2m/440 rig if you want to stay on the low end of a budget. If a dual band is within your budget, then by all means go for It. My plan is that eventually when I am ready to upgrade to a dual band, I'll move my 2m rig to my car and use it as a mobile.

Take a look on QRZ also, as they have some classifieds there. HRO is usually where I buy most my equipment.

Congratulations on your ticket, and be sure to let us know when it shows up!

73's de KD2DLL

N0IU

I want to purchase a portable for skywarn...

First of all, congratulations!

But I don't understand this comment? By "portable", do you mean an HT? If that is the case, how does it fit into the Skywarn program? Did someone in a local Skywarn group tell you that you needed to have one?

Now with that being said, if you can hit the repeater on which the Skywarn net is held, then an HT at home might be all you need... well that and an outdoor antenna.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on passing! Now since you said you want a HT and a mobile rig, I would recommend for a HT the Yaesu FT-60R and for a mobile the Yaesu FT-7900R. And for a HT antenna and base station antenna I would check out the Diamond brand of antennas. For mobile check out Larsen antennas.

Welcome to Yaesu.com

Welcome to Yaesu.com

AC2OY

Congratulations!! Welcome to the hobby!! I really don't think you could wrong with one of the big three!! I'm biased toward the Kenwood TH-6A but I suppose it depends on your budget,if you need a tribander,...ect. If you have any questions and I could help please fell free to shoot me a message!! Good Luck!!

DotNM

Feed Provider
Congratulations! I started, myself, with a Yaesu FT-7800 in my car which I originally used as a scanner, but once I got my amateur radio license, I've been a lot more interested in all the neat things one can do in the amateur world. Since then, I've picked up a Yaesu FT-60 which, I think, is a good, rugged low cost handheld and a Yaesu VX8-GR since I wanted to get more into APRS. I have no complaints about any of those radios.

I also know several in my club who have picked up the Baofeng radios from China on eBay and like them too, but be careful with those as I'm told they can transmit out of band (I don't have one myself, however).

Hope to hear you on the air sometime!

73 de VE3MDN

RESlusher

Congratulations Quentin and welcome to the club! :)

As most have mentioned here, I too started out with an HT, the Wouxon KG-UVD1P. I use it primarily for my local club nets and county RACES activities. I've also got a Yeasu FT-8900R that I've made backpack portable. It's a quad-bander; but doesn't do SSB. Looking back on it I wish I would've gone with either the FT-817 or the FT-857, both cost more; but give you more versatility.

agillot

IF YOU WANT TO GET YOUR FEETS WET , you could go cheap , a 2m / 440 , 4w / 5w wouxum or baofeng [ remember most radios today are china ] also get a base station antenna , the diamond 2m / 440 vertical [ around 8 feet tall , works great ] i use old 2 m radio early 70 s , and like them , but to get 440 , i got a baofeng [ $ 50 ] it works fine , the only issue is the programing , tedious . 4 w on that antenna will go a long way .

Status
Not open for further replies.