Two Receivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k6ozy

Feed Provider
I semi-successfully setup SDR#, DSD, UniTracker with a single FCDP+. Everything works but the bug in the Trunking Plugin as it does not shift back to the control frequency after the call finishes. I will be switching to a two dongle setup shortly since there seems to be no fix discussed for this.

My question is do trunking radios have two receivers? Does one sit on the CC and the other do the call TX/RX? If they did, I'd assume the CC RX would be muted during TX on the Call channel, but still. I find it overly complicated to require two RX, which is why I ask.

Thx

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014

My question is do trunking radios have two receivers? Does one sit on the CC and the other do the call TX/RX? If they did, I'd assume the CC RX would be muted during TX on the Call channel, but still. I find it overly complicated to require two RX, which is why I ask.

Thx
Certainly no scanner has two receivers and AFAIK no actual trunking radio comes with two receivers. The trunking radio actually has to be able to be transmit on the input side of the CCh channel to ask for a channel grant. Upon receiving the channel grant, it (and all other radios on that TG) switch to the channel granted and generally remain there until the communication is compete at which time they all switch back to the CCh. There are radios (actually consoles) that control multiple individual radio modules (each module is a radio by itself) that may appear to be listening to several channels at once (think of dispatchers and aircraft) but each one of the individual radio modules works as I described above.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
One thing loumaag left out is that trunking systems also transmit some of the control channel data over the active voice channels, while they are carrying voice traffic. This allows things like priority scanning of trunked talk groups. The radio could be stopped on a scanned TG, and then it decodes the low speed subaudible data under the voice traffic that tells it to switch back to the control channel to get the late entry data so it can switch to it's priority TG. There is no need for a second receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.