State of New York Metro-25 System...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CqDx

Folks,

It appears the NYS METRO21 System in New York City has begun transitioning to a new Harris Project 25 System. The system ID is 26D and WACN is 91FE8. So far NYS Park PD and Courthouse Mobile Security has been heard on the new P25 system and not on the EDACS side.

I have updated the database with the new trunking system.

Enjoy!

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm glad to see they are finally moving on this. Hopefully it will be used more than the old Metro-21 system.

And finally - a 'local' P25 system that we can actually hear the talk groups ;)

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
This is a planned progression so MTA can work with NYC,CSP and their own new network on 700/800 and keep the VHF for rail operations. In Conn MTA is building out the CSP system along their ROW and CSP gets access to it for giving access to the State-Wide system.
The word is also that MTA PD is getting APX mobiles and portables on VHF/700-800. I have seen a few Harris Unity portables, but my moneys on all Motorola for a few reasons. One of which is CSP is not planning on going pure P-25 for a few more years, thereby preventing Harris or other equipment.For to be able to talk to CSP they will need Motorola capable of Type II trunking with P-25, and this is right after replacing all the Orion mobile radios with new M-7100's. We are supposed to get these leftovers for spares.

captmfa7112

Premium Subscriber
Forgive the ignorant question but when programming this into the scanner, do we program these as two separate systems (EDACS and P25) or will the new system handle both the P25 traffic and EDACS traffic?

Jimbo695

Other Talk Groups

Similarly, will the talkgroups not listed for the new P25 System still operate on the EDACS system ?

CqDx

NYC METRO 21 transitioning to P25 System

The EDACS system is off the air, there is no need to program for that system anymore.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The EDACS system has been removed from the database since it's no longer on the air. As CqDx stated, there is no reason to have the EDACS system programmed into a scanner anymore, it has been replaced by the P25 system.

scosgt

OK< what do we use for a band plan?
Can not be programmed into the HP-1 until the next DB update.
However, I was able to program the PSR-800. Was not getting audio, so I went in and programmed the band plan for auto fill. I got one hit (and I am getting the T trunking symbol) but it was garbled.
So what band plan needs to be used?
Anyone?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
P25 systems do not require a band plan for the HP-1 or PSR-800.

- Set the PSR-800 to "Auto Fill", as you've already discovered. That's all you need to do.

- For the HP-1, create a P25 Standard system in a favorites list, then create a Site with the system frequencies, and optionally create a Department with the currently listed talkgroups. You probably also want to turn ID Search on.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
No bandplan needed. Just make sure you set the system type for a true P25 standard system. The radio will do the rest using the control channel as a guide.
At least that is how it is done with the 396XT

OOPs sorry Chauffeur6 we doubled.....but same result :)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you don't want to wait for Monday's HP-1 update, import this Favorites List of the system I just created. (make sure to unzip it first, you're importing the .hpe file)

Last edited:

scosgt

Thanks
I have the PSR working somewhat. When I get a hit, the audio is almost unintelligable. However, the signal strength is very strong.
Something not working right. PSR-800 should work like a charm on digital this close. Have no problem hearing the DG on NJSP from Delaware Water Gap.

CqDx

NYC METRO 21 transitioning to P25 System

I have no problem with listening on the PsR800, and I used auto fill for the band plan.

scosgt

I think I have both radios programmed now.
Signal strength appears very strong, but the transmissions are about impossible to understand.
I note that on the HP-1, the analyze system screen shows strong signal but no quality.
I presume they changed transmitters or tower location, because the EDACS system came in loud and clear.
I am located about six miles as the crow flies from my former work location, which had a handheld radio on the system. So it may be a case of LOCATION.

I did get a citywide hit on the 800, but the volume was turned down so I don't know if it was working or not. The HP-1 next to it received nothing. Not unusual in my experience.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I think I have both radios programmed now.
Signal strength appears very strong, but the transmissions are about impossible to understand.
I note that on the HP-1, the analyze system screen shows strong signal but no quality.
I presume they changed transmitters or tower location, because the EDACS system came in loud and clear.

The strong signal but poor decode is common with p25 simulcast issues with scanners. Analog audio (eg edacs) did not experience it to nearly the same degree. You may be receiving several sites with nearly the same strength, instead of one dominant site.
Actual p25 radios have a better receiver design that is much less prone to decode issues in a simulcast environment.

See http://forums.radioreference.com/ne...m/258801-saratoga-county-p25.html#post1903290

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If your signal strength is that good, you may want to try turning ATT on, see if that helps any.

scosgt

The strong signal but poor decode is common with p25 simulcast issues with scanners. Analog audio (eg edacs) did not experience it to nearly the same degree. You may be receiving several sites with nearly the same strength, instead of one dominant site.
Actual p25 radios have a better receiver design that is much less prone to decode issues in a simulcast environment.

See http://forums.radioreference.com/ne...m/258801-saratoga-county-p25.html#post1903290

There is only one site! At least it appears to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.