• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-3180 Firmware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnyres

Does anyone know where I can get the latest firmware version to enable the MDC-1200 for the TK-3180K MPT that won't turn my radio into a brick? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you in advanced!!!

Ok, I just noticed something weird...... If the latest firmware version is 1.20, then how does my radio show firmware version 2.11???? Has it been flashed with the European version? I do not understand this. HELP!

Attachments

• 20130731_093955.jpg
    20130731_093955.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,350
  • 20130731_094133.jpg
    20130731_094133.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,610
Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
3.35 is the latest version of MPT firmware. It shows that it fixed: "Radio locks up during registration and the display will go blank". I don't know if this will give you MDC or not. It shows the date at December 02, 2010.

1.22 is the latest NON-MPT firmware. This one shows April 02, 2010

I'm unclear if you can flash a radio that was previously MPT to the non-MPT firmware. I'd double check with Kenwood on that if you can. I'd be very hesitant about this until you know 100% what the outcome would be.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I meant to add that 2010 puts it close to the date that the patents expired on MDC1200. I looked at the MPT programming manual and there is no mention at all about MDC capability.

I can't find anything that suggests an MPT radio will do MDC, even with firmware upgrade. The MPT and non-MPT radios are sold as a different product, which suggests that there is some level of hardware difference. They have the same FCC approval ID's, so that suggests and hardware similarity, however.

Let us know what you figure out.

dnyres

3.35 is the latest version of MPT firmware. It shows that it fixed: "Radio locks up during registration and the display will go blank". I don't know if this will give you MDC or not. It shows the date at December 02, 2010.

1.22 is the latest NON-MPT firmware. This one shows April 02, 2010

I'm unclear if you can flash a radio that was previously MPT to the non-MPT firmware. I'd double check with Kenwood on that if you can. I'd be very hesitant about this until you know 100% what the outcome would be.
I think I'll have to get a hold of them. I've been trying to use KPG-89D to program the radio, however I keep getting this message when attempting to read/write to the radio "Check Model Name and Market Code" I do NOT get that message when I use KPG-96D, but I cannot get Zone Information to display, nor any options for MDC-1200. I can read/write to the radio with KPG-96D, but no information displays... Sooo.............?

dnyres

I meant to add that 2010 puts it close to the date that the patents expired on MDC1200. I looked at the MPT programming manual and there is no mention at all about MDC capability.

I can't find anything that suggests an MPT radio will do MDC, even with firmware upgrade. The MPT and non-MPT radios are sold as a different product, which suggests that there is some level of hardware difference. They have the same FCC approval ID's, so that suggests and hardware similarity, however.

Let us know what you figure out.
Ahh okay.. Well, that definitely sucks! If that's the case, then this radio is off to eBay!

dnyres

Kenwood Customer service is incredibly AWESOME! I called, explained my problem, and he offered to email me the firmware (For FREE!!!) that I needed to convert my radio from the MPT to a TK-3180 K and which would enable MDC-1200! They just made a Kenwood for life Customer out of me! You don't see customer service like that anymore! Now I'm just awaiting the email... Can't wait!!! I feel like a kid in an unsupervised candy store!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kenwood Customer service is incredibly AWESOME! I called, explained my problem, and he offered to email me the firmware (For FREE!!!) that I needed to convert my radio from the MPT to a TK-3180 K and which would enable MDC-1200! They just made a Kenwood for life Customer out of me! You don't see customer service like that anymore! Now I'm just awaiting the email... Can't wait!!! I feel like a kid in an unsupervised candy store!

I know exactly what you mean...
I previously had a Motorola SmartNet trunked system and Motorola was a nightmare to deal with. After putting up with the Motorola nonsense for 14 years, I switched to Kenwood. Kenwood has bent over backwards to keep us happy. Your experience is not surprising at all. Kenwood understands the importance of the customer. Motorola forgot this lesson many years ago in their quest to boost their income. While I still use and purchase some Motorola equipment, they are no longer the sole supplier.

dnyres

I know exactly what you mean...
I previously had a Motorola SmartNet trunked system and Motorola was a nightmare to deal with. After putting up with the Motorola nonsense for 14 years, I switched to Kenwood. Kenwood has bent over backwards to keep us happy. Your experience is not surprising at all. Kenwood understands the importance of the customer. Motorola forgot this lesson many years ago in their quest to boost their income. While I still use and purchase some Motorola equipment, they are no longer the sole supplier.
Well, after Kenwood takes over the P25 market for law enforcement, fire, and other first responders Motorola will re-learn their customer service skills when they don't have any customers to call them, which of course, by then it will be too late. I cannot stand poor customer service.. And now knowing your issue with Motocrapola, I guarantee I will NEVER buy a radio from them. They're better off sticking with making pagers (from the 80's!) Their cell phones are complete crap as well!

dnyres

By the way, the firmware that Kenwood sent to be completely fixed the issue, I tested the radio and no problems whatsoever. MDC-1200 works like a champ! Case closed! Thanks everyone!

dnyres

I can only imagine. People are going to go with the companies that actually provide a high level of customer service.

The ultimate Kenwood radio of my dreams is the TK-5310.. Unfortunately it's only available in P25. If it was an LTR radio, I would buy it today!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a TK5210 (vhf) and a TK5710 (700-800MHz). Nice radios.

Our Kenwood rep is working with one of the surrounding agencies to upgrade their version 1 radios to version 3, so they can do P25 trunking. The version 1 radios are going to be available soon at a substantial discount. Might want to keep your eyes open for some of the Version 1 radios hitting the used market in the near future.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
and this is why Kenwood is making great headway in marketing to public safety. They build a quality product, sell it at an affordable price, and SUPPORT it, without nickel and diming the end user/customer to death.

If this were a certain company who's name now ends in SOLUTIONS, you would be told:

"sorry, you will have to order an i-button, pay $265 for CPS, pay for a $285 cable...and then you can download the firmware update off our site...after you've been approved. Oh wait, you have a problem like that? You will need to send it to our depot for repair at the flat rate or time and materials, which ever we feel like charging you that particular day"

Amazing how a company will give away firmware updates FOR FREE to their END USERS, yet another one, again who's name ends in SOLUTIONS, holds onto a customer's high tier radio (ends in 7000, as is dollars!) for months without any resolution to a speaker popping sound. First they tell the customer they shipped their radio, and it's fixed, then it's not- we don't know what is wrong. So you pay $3800 for a premium product with a crappy audio, and you go without it for months while "engineers" are "working on it"?

Yet KENWOOD can sell a radio for under $500 and support it for years- even with free firmware updates that add features like MDC1200 signaling at NO COST.

Again, the big competitor used to charge a small fortune and make you jump through hoops on their high tier analog portable/mobile to get MDC1200 signaling if the product wasn't initially ordered with it.

Those 2180/3180 are some of the best analog portable radios money can buy.

dnyres

WOW, that is just so incredibly ridiculous on ohhhh sooo many levels! I had absolutely NO idea that their "customer service" or the lack there of is THAT bad. What a friggin nightmare! Without knowing the slightest single thing, I am grateful that I accidentally started off with a Kenwood! I was absolutely beyond impressed with their customer service. I even told the guy I bought the radio USED off of eBay, and was honestly expecting him to say "Sorry, there is nothing I can do for you since it is a second hand radio and that you're not the original owner" and hang up. But no, he treated me as if I bought the radio from him yesterday and it's still covered under warranty. I was just amazed!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Mark my words, in 10 years that "Solutions" company will no longer be #1. They are rapidly losing ground in this area. Their attitude towards me as a customer is not uncommon. Too many other companies have figured out how to make a quality product and support it properly. Their reaction to the First Net system is showing their true colors.

BirkenVogt

I think you have to look at it this way: /\/\ makes radios, but also microchips, phones, and a bunch of other things. They are a gigantic global enterprise. I heard a rumor that the USFS approached them about being their supplier for a particular generation of radios, but they wanted special features, and their response was that the USFS is not a day's worth of business to them. Of course they were probably not interested in GSA pricing, either.

Our friends at the other place basically make radios, and that's it. They need to stay competitive and they have hired some good people to help them do that. If they don't sell radios they go out of business, or at least stand to lose a lot.

Then again, they can be unresponsive, too. If any of you are familiar with the Cal Fire special feature set on the TK-790, it is the cat's meow for fire but it was always kind of a kludge, programming wise. They missed the boat by refusing to include certain elements of it in the TK-7180 and the TK-5710 and as a consequence, they will not get 5710s in state vehicles next go round. It is a pity because the 5710 was a direct replacement. But I guess the state was not enough units for them to care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.