Pro-96 will not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am having some issues with my pro-96. I've done a lot of searching and nothing relates to my problem so I'm turning to the members on the forums to see if any of you have a idea of what is going on.

I was listening to it in the car on the way to work and it started to beep every 10 or 15 seconds and when I looked at the screen, the screen said dps boot and version and kept I guess resetting. I turned it off and then back on and now it won't turn on at all. I was using the yellow rechargeable battery holder but I was not charging it when this happened.

I've tried switching batteries, plugging it in power outlet, resetting it by the reset button, and connecting it to computer via RadioShack programming cable still with no luck.

So I guess my question is pretty simple now, does anyone have any idea what is going on with it or what I could do to troubleshoot it?

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
[QUOTE Have you tried updating your Pro-96 with different firmware ?[/QUOTE]

He can't. The scanner will not power up.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Having opened one up in the past, I can say that if you dropped it, there is only 1 board to break which would render it useless. Try opening it and look at power traces and items such as diodes/voltage regulators. Inspect power traces wherever you can, especially to the dsp chip(s). Check the groundplane of the board also. A loose ground could be the culprit.

Good luck in your endeavour.

Don't be too scared, it's already broken...

SCPD

QRT
Having opened one up in the past, I can say that if you dropped it, there is only 1 board to break which would render it useless. Try opening it and look at power traces and items such as diodes/voltage regulators. Inspect power traces wherever you can, especially to the dsp chip(s). Check the groundplane of the board also. A loose ground could be the culprit.

Good luck in your endeavour.

Don't be too scared, it's already broken...

That I can recall, I have never dropped it. I took it apart and made sure nothing was broke, loose, or disconnected and it seemed like everything was still in place. I took the top board off to reveal the second board and no noticeable problems on that one either.

I was listening to the scanner when it all of a sudden started beeping every 10 seconds and showing the dsp boot and version so something internally had to happen. Would this mean the DSP chip could be bad if it's receiving power but not turning on the scanner?

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Well, I suppose I had gas of the brain when I said "DSP" chip. I really meant microprocessor or whatever controls the boot function of the device. Either way, something inside your scanner isn't happy.

You could spring for a service manual or find a service center who can do a board swap (if parts are available). Or you could scour ebay and hamfests for that one unit that might have a broken lcd screen and mesh the 2 scanners together.

A service manual will usually have a flowchart describing how to diagnose/repair a given instance. It may or may not have the specific flow chart you are looking for.

Don't give up hope(yet)!

Status
Not open for further replies.