pilot talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublescan

Anybody understand what pilots are talking about when they use the phrase "crossing hony" ?
(sounds like pony) It must be some kind of acronym but I am unable to come up with the meaning. I assumed it was something like HO-NE, the last being Northeast, but I'm stumped.
Love listening to the commercial air stuff but it's puzzling sometimes.

doublescan

Thanks for the replies, but I didn't find any explanation there either. Or I'm not smart enough to
understand it. I'm in N Ala, I'll fix that on my profile, didn't realize I hadn't entered anything there.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Most of the talk when I listen is pilot talk or flying talk. Sometimes I can understand, and other times not. I guess you have to become a pilot to understand it. :p

canav844

What frequency are you hearing this on? I'm trying to narrow down the search area looking on maps here: SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

If you look at the world lo map in your area you'll see lots of triangles with 3-5 letter names, these tend to be the intersection labels.

To help you understand, there's the NOtice To AirMen (NOTAM) for Aivetnure 2013 (biggest flyin in the country): http://www.airventure.org/flying/2013_notam.pdf They use the FISKE ("fisk") intersection as a reference point and to name the approach path. Many of the intersections are above a feature that carries a similar name, so FISKE is above a point where Fisk Road has a turn visible from the air; I think I've seen a few that mirror the name of manufacturing buildings beneath them, most seem nonsensical, but every so often I get an ah-ha moment when I match the intersection to google earth.

Once you find them on the intersection on the map, it's really not worth worrying about how or why it's named there, and think of them more like signs on the highway. As you approach an exit you get notices that you're 2, 1, 1/2, 1/4 miles out from and exit and the sign says what city or cross road the exit is; the same logic applies to the intersections, they're merely reference points that help pilots make sure they're at the right speed, altitude and location at the right time, as well as points to help ATC control the flow of aircraft. However instead of information on a sign, it's a dot on the map and then pilots can use other charts to determine the relevant information.

On a humor note, Cirrus Aircraft put this one on their website a while back:
601647_10151538617035892_15847640_n.jpg

A flight from the EAT VOR to Intersection BACON.

doublescan

Thank you Airscan-you nailed it!! I've been wondering what that was forever, and I don't understand the air travel-navigation system enough to know how to search for the answers. Plus, with the level of surveillance of internet usage now, I wouldn't do much searching for anything related to it. Don't want a visit.
Owe you a big cold drink!

doublescan

canav844 , I hear it on 128.725 , I think, and maybe the Bham approach 123.800-I don't always look at the scanner to notice, but I hear it a lot. Just didn't know what the heck a Honie was. They do have some unusual or funny terms they use. *They seemed to have faded back out now, but the weather was just right today, with the various areas of rain, that I listened to the tower freq since about noon-that first freq I mentioned. They were hopping today!

Flyham

Pilot Talk

To show that the FAA does have a bit of personality. Take a look at name of the STARs into Orlando, FL.
Orlando Arrivals (with a bit of Disney Humor)

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KORL

STARs - Standard Terminal Arrivals

BAIRN THREE (RNAV) download (190KB)
BUGGZ TWO (RNAV) download (187KB)
CORLL ONE download (108KB)
COSTR THREE (RNAV) 2 pages: [1] [2] (279KB)
CWRLD THREE (RNAV) download (227KB)
GOOFY SIX download (241KB)
LEESE TWO 2 pages: [1] [2] (293KB)
MINEE FIVE 2 pages: [1] [2] (314KB)
PIGLT FOUR (RNAV) download (193KB)

Last edited:

doublescan

Thanks glideslope, I am slowly learning more about this stuff. I never dreamed the air transportation system would be so complicated. But interesting too. I always enjoyed just listening to the planes, but then my curiosity finally has caught up with me on learning just what some of the terms mean.

lotsofradios

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
To show that the FAA does have a bit of personality. Take a look at name of the STARs into Orlando, FL.
Orlando Arrivals (with a bit of Disney Humor)

AirNav: KORL - Executive Airport

The military also includes a bit of Disney Humor too. When they fly Combat Air Patrol missions supporting Space Shuttle launches their refueling tanker calls their holding pattern the "GOOFY HOLD" and the refuel track the "DUMBO TRACK"

doublescan

After reading post #7 , I actually heard a pilot repeat "approved direct to bacon" today, haha.
Had that info not been posted, I probably wouldn't have caught it!

Status
Not open for further replies.