STAN NF-Rim Fire frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norman

Does anyone have any frequencies for the Rim Fire? I usually monitor SNF #1 and #2, and also San Andreas
Calfire, but have not heard any pertinent traffic.
Thanks in advance, Norm.

kma371

QRT
Does anyone have any frequencies for the Rim Fire? I usually monitor SNF #1 and #2, and also San Andreas
Calfire, but have not heard any pertinent traffic.
Thanks in advance, Norm.

Check the firetacs.

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
Air tactics is 173.825 it sounds like. Being 3-4 days into this, they probably have some portable NIFC command repeaters up on mountain tops surrounding the fire. Check out the Command freqencies found on NIFC Fire Cache

Or if the STF has a forest-wide repeater system set aside for fire use, separate from Forest Net or Admin Net, try that. I show a possible 171.500 as a service net for the STF. However once a management team is assigned to the fire and it's this size, your best bet are the NIFC commands.

SCPD

QRT
My wife and I stayed in Mariposa last night on our way back from the Santa Barbara area. We picked up some command traffic on on either the forest or admin nets of the Stanislaus NF (STF). I think a NIFC system was probably in place as the amount of traffic on the STF frequencies was minimal. When the fire crossed the Cherry road it triggered action from both the Forest Service and Park Service. Evacuations of both employees and visitors in the Camp Mather, Hetch Hetchy and Eleanor Lake areas were begun. This was being coordinated on Yosemite's law enforcement and park nets on the North Mountain repeaters.

SAR personnel were being paged out from the Tuolumne Meadows area as we left the park. The fire net was busy as well as the park picked up a couple of small fires, both of which were being suppressed as the national preparedness level is 5.

The Rim Fire is not all that large at this point, but for some reason it has both a Type I and Type II team assigned to it. It would seem as though resources are in short supply and using two teams on a fire of this size doesn't make sense to me.

We saw a lot of fire apparatus on the 101, 120 and 395 going both ways. I saw the Vandenberg Hotshots headed south on the 101 just north of Paso Robles. Incident commanders my have no choice but to keep resources on fires for 21 days, after they get two days of R and R following 14 days on an incident.

The coming days may find some "sleepers" or "holdovers" popping up. These are fires started by lightning during rain and humidity that smoulder on the ground or inside dead trees that become active when it begins to dry out. I've heard of 30 day sleepers and personally witnessed 18 days between a lightning strike and the fire being sighted by a lookout. The moisture content of the larger fuels (3" - 8" diameter) will not rise much as a result of the last 4-5 days of rain.

Norman

OK Guys, thanks for the tips. I do monitor the NIFC channels, command freqs, air tacs etc, but just not hearing anything. Maybe I'm just too far away, but I usually hear quite well from my perch here in El Dorado County.
Norm.

BirkenVogt

Frequently they use freqs, on fed incidents especially, that are not pre-published in any channel lineup. Just start searching 163-174 and you will probably find it. There should only be one, or at most two portable repeaters for this fire.

Norman

Yikes! Looks like I am missing a few NIFC channels, thanks. Also, here is a good resource for fire info,
I think I am allowed to do this? YubaNet.com - Fire News
The fire has quadrupled in size overnight, now almost 54,000 acres! So, definitely not a small fire anymore.
Norm.

SCPD

QRT
Try 162.9625, NIFC Command 7. Yesterday I heard reference to either Tone 7 on the STF nets or to Command 7.

Use the RR database NIFC frequency list and the wiki page you can link to from there. The RR database page does not match the wiki page yet. The link norcalscan provided is not up to date.

This fire is located far enough east that receiving it from any portion of Eldorado County seems unlikely to me, even if you are on the western edge of the county. There is a fair amount of terrain between this fire and the west edge of the county. In addition command repeaters transmit about 10-20 watts as opposed to the far more powerful repeaters on forest and admin nets.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
The Type II team will transition to the Type I team in the next couple of days, if not today. There was no attempt to use both beyond a transition period. On very large fires that exceed 5 branches, two Type I or a Type I and Type II team may be assigned specific areas of a fire with an "Area Command" having overall command.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I like the Toulumne County S.O. feed. Has USFS "air to ground" (at least one of them) with lots of traffic as well as the TCSO which is active with evacuations. Some Cal Fire dispatch on there too. I'm hearing OES setting up a new repeater somewhere on there now too.

Norman

The only thing that I am hearing is 166.675 which is air-ground command. Did hear Cal Fire tanker freq on
122.925 discussing it. Also the TC Sheriff.
Norm.

K3UG

Premium Subscriber
Take a listen to 164.525 .. It's not real strong here in Calaveras County, but I think it's the RIM Command Net.

Norman

Just got these in, we will enter and listen:
Communication Plan as of 8-23 from the 209
SNF ECC 168.7500
C3 SUGARLOAF 168.0750
C10 SMITH PEAK 170.4125
C34 NORTH MTN 164.5250
NIFC TAC 2- IA 168.2000
NIFC TAC5- DIVA 166.7250
NIFC TAC6-DIV M 166.7750
NIFC TAC7- DIV D 168.2500
R5TAC4- DIV C 166.5500
R5TAC6- DIV R 158.2375
R5 PRO- DIV S 166.6625
VTAC14- DIV Q/B 159.4725
CMD A/G 168.6750
TAC A/G 169.7875
CALCORD MEDEVAC 156.0750
AIR GUARD 168.6250

Norm.

frequencies

my active channels:

166.675 air tac 1

171.500 nat forest service net
168.200 tac 2 groveland

im out of columbia, pick up alot of airport chatter

Baddad

Premium Subscriber
Here is video from the cockpit of one of the C-130's from the 146th Airlift Wing that are working the Rim fire. In the video, the C-130 that is going to drop flame retardant is call-sign MAFFS 6. He is being directed by the spotter plane that you'll hear & see smoke from. The actual drop occurs at around 5:30 mins into it. Absolutely amazing to watch the flying skills of these guys. We had a C-130 from the 147th Airlift Wing in Charlotte, NC that crashed last year doing this on a fire in South Dakota, 4 airmen were killed & 2 were injured.

MAFFS 6 Rim Fire 22Aug13 1750 - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.