Currituck County System Goes Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronpp

The daily advance is reporting Currituck County will be going live on their new system this week:

The Daily Advance

I guess now it's time to invest in monitoring equipment since the Sheriff's Dept feed stopped a while ago, I wonder when Fire/EMS will go.

[Mod edit to remove VIPER from the thread title]

Last edited by a moderator:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
A certain forum member is pictured in that article.
I ain't gonna call him out but if he wants to speak up
he is more than welcome to :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Are they just switching to Viper or using a conventional 800mhz I'd heard chatter about?

From what I have seen so far mostly conventional digital with VIPER for
Interop. I do believe Currituck Sheriff will be Encrypted full time with the
option to go clear if needed.

I have set a personal goal to dedicate time this holiday weekend to getting
Currituck channel/usage info up-to-date in the database.

Marshall KE4ZNR

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
Very interested to see how this goes, as well as all the informational details. I believe there was prior mention of their own P25 system that was NOT trunked. Sad to see that sheriff wants to go encrypted full time though. I'm tempted to swing my Yagi to the north and poke around, but my scanner feed listeners might not like that to much :)

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
currituck

Yes we are going conv digital and SO will be enc full time.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know the frequencies yet?

Nope. I am just gonna pick random frequencies throughout the spectrum and enter them into
the database when I update things this weekend (as I said I was going
to do above). :cool: :wink::D

Marshall KE4ZNR

jsncrso

KN4ZVZ
Feed Provider
Nope. I am just gonna pick random frequencies throughout the spectrum and enter them into
the database when I update things this weekend (as I said I was going
to do above). :cool: :wink::D

Marshall KE4ZNR

After you are done, come over and start entering them into my scanner :D

Will be interesting to see if any agency (such as ocean rescue) keeps their VHF radios like some of Dare's did.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Hearing paging on 155.4300 no tone noted, got s friend who work down there I will ask about ocean rescue

SCPD

QRT
on the new Digital SO Dispatch, sounds like units are encrpyted and the dispatcher is clear. Can't make out what they're saying.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
NOT VIPER....

A certain forum member is pictured in that article.
I ain't gonna call him out but if he wants to speak up
he is more than welcome to :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

Haha.... That's funny. I just saw this..... At any rate, no matter HOW many times we stressed to the newspaper people that Currituck's system IS NOT part of VIPER, they just couldn't help but call it that. I still think the thread title should be changed....

This was a fun project to put together.... I can't stand that Currituck SO is on full time encryption. (God knows we don't need to hear about a bear, or deer getting hit on US-158) However, Fire/EMS are open.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Is this system monitorable in Kill Devil Hills area?

It sure is... Our office is close to the Nags Head line, and we pick it up here with the outside antenna.

Heck, EMS even calls in from Chesapeake General when they arrive, or depart.... Still sounds like they're in the county...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Haha.... That's funny. I just saw this..... At any rate, no matter HOW many times we stressed to the newspaper people that Currituck's system IS NOT part of VIPER, they just couldn't help but call it that. I still think the thread title should be changed....

This was a fun project to put together.... I can't stand that Currituck SO is on full time encryption. (God knows we don't need to hear about a bear, or deer getting hit on US-158) However, Fire/EMS are open.

Thread title has been updated with the correct info.
Marshall KE4ZNR

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
I hate to hijack this thread after it's old, why did Currituck stay conventional? They've got 4 repeater pairs at 5 sites, was there that much of a cost savings in not adding a controller and making it trunked? And why are so many counties in this region resistant to joining VIPER?

trumpetman

Database Admin
Considering a typical zone controller runs in the ball park of about $1 million, yes it does create a lot of cost savings.

VIPER (and trunking in general) is not always the solution. Some counties can survive just fine with a conventional network. Sometimes you have to weigh the advantages/disadvantages of coverage, capacity, maintenance, and other recurring costs. You can answer your own question by swapping out your forum signature from "800 MHz" to "trunking".

I believe Currituck is the system utilizing the Motorola K Core, which uses direct integration for it's infrastructure. Most of the bells & whistles provided by a trunking zone core are present (emergency, radio ID aliasing, patching, multi-selecting, console integration, gateways, etc). The only thing lacking is the actual trunking ability. If you don't need to share multiple users across a limited pool of channels, then a conventional network will suit you just fine.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Well, I can shed a little light on that for you. It's not just a controller. The M Core (for controlling trunk systems is MUCH more expensive than the K Core that controls the conventional systems. That's the short of it. The system works very well for what Currituck does with it.

As for counties avoiding VIPER, when you are on their system, you are at the mercy of the state if there are any site outages. If you are having problems, you may, or may not get assistance. It works fine for SHP. The smaller counties do great on VIPER.

Now imagine this: A large weather event happens. You have SHP, NCEOC, as well as other state agencies. That eats a large chunk of the 5 channels available to you. Bonk, bonk, bonk.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
I believe Currituck is the system utilizing the Motorola K Core, which uses direct integration for it's infrastructure. Most of the bells & whistles provided by a trunking zone core are present (emergency, radio ID aliasing, patching, multi-selecting, console integration, gateways, etc). The only thing lacking is the actual trunking ability. If you don't need to share multiple users across a limited pool of channels, then a conventional network will suit you just fine.

You are correct.....

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Currituck

Because they have so many volunteers. Most departments have apx radios because of the state system being in the radio. But now some volunteers have xts 5000 and 2500. It's the counties way oh helping the volunteers.

Status
Not open for further replies.