Pima County

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
So I'm thinking of moving out to Arizona in Pima county, maybe just south of Tucson. Where I live now in California I'm s stringer and was wondering if there are stringing in that area already, I'm sure there are but are any of them on here? Or anyone know if it's pretty crowded out there already?

Thank you

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Don't know much about Tucson, but I think there's a few guys up here in Phoenix who used to do it off and on, myself included. I'm going to be getting back into it very soon (like hopefully next week type of "soon") and then I'll know for sure. Either way, there's plenty of news going on, so there's plenty for more than one stringer out here, so long as we don't get all asses and elbows with each other like it is in L.A, You can't swing a dead cat at a fire scene in L.A. without hitting a dozen friggin' stringers all shooting the same damn fire. :roll: I never understood that mentality. Certainly L.A has plenty of news for all the stringers to shoot different stories, doesn't it?

Some things to note - Stations out here pay less than California stations do and they will want sound on everything. That equates to a lot of standing around waiting. They also will want to see your footage before they agree to buy, so be prepared to bring it in for review at each station before a sale, at least until they get to know you and know that you're good. Also, there's no equivalent to California PC 409.5 out here. So if the cops want to, they can bounce you from a scene just because you have a camera, or they set up huge "crime scenes" and put up the dreaded yellow tape which, unlike California, you MAY NOT cross EVER unless invited. The L.A. style of "up in your face, outta my way officer you're in my shot" video will not fly out here. Out here, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, get my drift? You also have to choose your battles. I've been told flat out "the first amendment doesn't mean jack in MY city" by Phoenix PD's night watch commander once. He's wrong of course, but if you push it, you end up cuffed and stuffed for a while (no charges filed later), your camera "accidentally" gets broken and the cops suddenly become VERY uncooperative with you next time you show up. So be careful, courteous and if they push the issue of access with you, back off and let them have it. Trust me on that. As an example, the local media got all of the Phoenix PD's hot traffic channels encrypted just for showing up at an active shooter scene before they did. I don't know about Tucson, but I'm sure they're probably pretty similar to Phoenix. I was also told once by a DPS detective at a drug lab that if I didn't have some sort of state issued permit, he wasn't allowed to talk to me. I forget the exact acronym he used but it was something he completely made up - Arizona doesn't issue media credentials. When I called the PIO about it, he laughed (yeah - laughed!) and said "Yeah sometimes my guys can get a little carried away". In other words, what are you gonna do? Nothin', that's what. So be warned, you will run into some buttheads with a badge that don't like the media, especially stringers. Then there's the news directors you deal with sometimes... ha ha, but that's another thread.

Hit me up on PM if you want and we'll talk more. :)
-AZ

SmitHans

Tucson PD is usually pretty placid - whether from underfunding or complacency I don't know. If you don't get in their way they usually don't screw with you.
Oro Valley PD is a bunch of goons drunk on power. They will mess with you just because they can. And because that town is fairly quiet, their cops have little better to do than to mess with people. Where there is 1 OVPD officer, there will be 6 if something happens.
Pima County Sheriff dept ranges from incompetent to criminally corrupt.
You don't have any rights according to these goons, & according to the county prosecutor, they can do no wrong. Get in their way they will find/fabricate something to lock you up on.
DPS is pretty used to having their way out here too, so keep that in mind.

Pima County Sheriff's radio is very difficult to monitor, Marana PD is pretty much 100% encrypted. Everyone else's radio traffic can still be monitored, for the time being until PCWIN goes live here soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.