ProScan Remote Scanner Bandwidth requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent an email to ProScan support on the 1st of September but haven't heard back so I thought I would ask here to see if anyone would have the information I was looking for.

I was wondering if anyone knew how much bandwidth was used by a ProScan user that logs in with the free client to listen to a feed? I am trying to determine how many concurrent connections I can support and not overtax our available bandwidth by setting the max number of listeners too high.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff VE6EFR

Thanks for the reply but I don't think you quite understand my question. I am trying to find out what a single stream uses in terms of the bitrate in the remote scanner over IP mode in ProScan. Does it stream at 16k, 32k, etc. Once I have that piece of info I can figure out from there how many people can connect to me at the same time with the total upload bandwidth that I have available to me.

Out of curiosity, are you familiar with ProScan? Perhaps the reason you are giving me information that is not relevant to my question is in the fact that you aren't familiar with the program in question. I am not asking about the total monthly bandwidth usage for streaming in general. I am asking what is the bitrate that PROSCAN uses in the mode that I asked about in the original post so I can select the correct maximum number of incomming connections in setting up the program.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I sent an email to ProScan support on the 1st of September but haven't heard back so I thought I would ask here to see if anyone would have the information I was looking for.

I was wondering if anyone knew how much bandwidth was used by a ProScan user that logs in with the free client to listen to a feed? I am trying to determine how many concurrent connections I can support and not overtax our available bandwidth by setting the max number of listeners too high.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff VE6EFR

Bandwidth depends on the audio options, amount of scanner data, and TCP overhead. I would use a monitoring tool such as NetWorx to get the actual bandwidth. Start with no clients connected then connect one client and see the bandwidth increase.

NetWorx : bandwidth monitor, bandwidth speed test, bandwidth and traffic monitoring tool for Windows

Google "measure bandwidth tool"

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
Out of curiosity, are you familiar with ProScan? Perhaps the reason you are giving me information that is not relevant to my question is in the fact that you aren't familiar with the program in question. I am not asking about the total monthly bandwidth usage for streaming in general. I am asking what is the bitrate that PROSCAN uses in the mode that I asked about in the original post so I can select the correct maximum number of incomming connections in setting up the program.

BTW yes I familiar with the software, I use it as well for both streaming and remote control of many scanners.

All the links I sent you give you the required info, same thing that Proscan just sent you, just a different web site that give you the same basic info, some are free, some are pay, of which there are many.

Google is your friend. It was like you did not want to do a bit of research/reading on the subject and that you wanted an instant answer.

I just offered some insight on the subject.

I too was wondering the same thing you were.

I thought it should be a basic listing in the Proscan specs of the software, what the basic bandwidth usage would/should be, but did not find it either, till I was looking at the links I sent you, it was quite a eye opener depending on the bit rate, overhead ect... all have an effect.

This post has been educational to say the least. and thanks to Proscan for the additional info as well.

HH

hkrharry, the links that you sent me, at least as far as I could tell were just bandwidth calculators. In order to figure out the bandwidth used one would have had to enter something in the streaming bitrate column. If I were to just use the links you provided without knowing what bitrate ProScan uses to send data to connected clients, what would one enter into that part of the formula?

I know with text it is difficult to relay that I am really not trying to be a jerk in my replies to you. I may be missing how in the links you provided I could have come up with that part of the formula. Without using the bandwidth monitoring tool that Proscan pointed me to it would have just been a total guess what to put in that box.

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
Hey no offense taken, I think both of us learned a bit today. One of those links had a monitoring tools that could have been used to calculate the item in question. but Bob (proscan) had the exact answer we both needed. No your not being a jerk, I missed what you were asking for, it is Kool. I thought you had that part. We both got the info we needed.

HH

Status
Not open for further replies.