• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

icom f21 vs the f21gm

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQRY843

I did a search here and could not find anything. what is the difference between these to radios. what makes the f21 better than the f21gm.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
The difference in a ICOM F-21GM is pre-programed from the factory and a ICOM F-21 is flexible where you can change different pl tones if need be and also program different frequencies on GMRS or maybe a few amateur frequencies if you are licensed and it is legal to use both in the F-21 if you get the cable and software to do this.

WQRY843

new radios

if you had the software can you program them? i purchased a couple of them of the gm version not really knowing what the difference was. still learning, if not i guess i sell them and try and pick up a pair of the the f21's. learning alot along the way.

Thanks,
Adam

SCPD

QRT
I think the F-21 is preset and can't be reprogrammed by the consumer,I am not sure if you can get the software to change those or not.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The F21GM has a specific firmware in it. The button functions are fixed, the F21GM comes with inductions for field programming the radio. The radio can be physically programmed out of GMRS but only the first 8 channels can have repeater splits put in them, the last 7 can only be simplex frequencies with the last channel being a permanent scan channel. CS-11 has to be out into manufacturer's mode as well as maker's reserved mode to read and write to the GM.

Personally, the stock button assignments on the GM suck do I'd rather just go with the regular 21.

seh911

Feed Provider
The F21GM has a specific firmware in it. The button functions are fixed, the F21GM comes with inductions for field programming the radio. The radio can be physically programmed out of GMRS but only the first 8 channels can have repeater splits put in them, the last 7 can only be simplex frequencies with the last channel being a permanent scan channel. CS-11 has to be out into manufacturer's mode as well as maker's reserved mode to read and write to the GM.

Personally, the stock button assignments on the GM suck do I'd rather just go with the regular 21.

This is not true. They are functionally the same radio. The F-21GM can be programmed any way you want. You can change all the button assignments, as well as any frequency in any channel in the radio's (UHF) range, using the CS-F11 software.
There are lots of threads on this site about all of this if you search for them.

Project25_MASTR

This is not true. They are functionally the same radio. The F-21GM can be programmed any way you want. You can change all the button assignments, as well as any frequency in any channel in the radio's (UHF) range, using the CS-F11 software.
There are lots of threads on this site about all of this if you search for them.

Everytime I try, it's stuck in the stock button assignments and channels 9-16 won't do repeater shifts.

seh911

Feed Provider
Everytime I try, it's stuck in the stock button assignments and channels 9-16 won't do repeater shifts.
All of the F21 radios (BR, S, and GM) can only duplex on CH 1-8.

Are you using the manufacture mode of the CS-F11 software? You can make all the changes to the buttons, etc there.

Project25_MASTR

All of the F21 radios (BR, S, and GM) can only duplex on CH 1-8.

Are you using the manufacture mode of the CS-F11 software? You can make all the changes to the buttons, etc there.

See, that's news to me. I'm used to Motorolas which will duplex on any channel I want.

Mine won't let me read it unless it's in manufacture mode. I haven't dicked with it in a few months, probably need play with it a bit more at some point.

seh911

Feed Provider
See, that's news to me. I'm used to Motorolas which will duplex on any channel I want.

Mine won't let me read it unless it's in manufacture mode. I haven't dicked with it in a few months, probably need play with it a bit more at some point.

Just looked at it. If you want to change button settings, go to COMMON SETTINGS> KEY&DISPLAY and then change under Key Assign.

mformby

Both of these are older models and are out of production. If you can get rid of them without a big loss I would try to find newer models. That may not matter to you.

seh911

Feed Provider
Both of these are older models and are out of production. If you can get rid of them without a big loss I would try to find newer models. That may not matter to you.
That's true but they are great radios. Narrow-band capable full UHF band range and type 95 and 95A certified and inexpensive they are great for hams and other uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.