PRO164 Frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

I remember seeing posts about the PRO-164 Radio Shack scanner was off frequency and its actually messing up Trunk systems have entered.

460.1750 and need to enter 460.18125 in order pick up the frequency better.

tried calling Radio Shack but since didn't buy the warranty they wont do anything, tried calling Scanner Master but cant get threw to anyone.

Looking for other suggestions on what to do with $189 scanner cant seem get those at Radio Shack store understand whats wrong and no real customer support.

DickH

What shows in the display when you enter 460.18125?
The PRO-164 should be able to get that exact freq.

DickH

460.1750 is exact frequency but comes in very low and garble when put in 460.18125 it comes in clear as day

I read about how to re-tune the PRO-164 on this site somewhere. Try a search. When you find the instructions, set the scanner on 460.175 and turn the adjustment VERY slowly until it sounds good.

FallenAnjel

I remember seeing posts about the PRO-164 Radio Shack scanner was off frequency and its actually messing up Trunk systems have entered.

460.1750 and need to enter 460.18125 in order pick up the frequency better.

tried calling Radio Shack but since didn't buy the warranty they wont do anything, tried calling Scanner Master but cant get threw to anyone.

Looking for other suggestions on what to do with $189 scanner cant seem get those at Radio Shack store understand whats wrong and no real customer support.

I was talking to someone about re-tuning the scanner since the Suffolk County PD trunk system was breaking up horribly and constantly cutting out. I'll edit this with the link after I post.

As for getting help with the scanner I went thru the same thing two or three years ago. Is the scanner less than a year old? It's still covered by a 1-year warranty. You should be able to bring it to the store and they'll send it in to get fixed. If they tell you you have to send it yourself or anything else don't let them persuade you. I may still have all the info of where to send it just in case the useless Radio Shack employees are clueless. (which is not uncommon)

It took me two weeks of going back and forth to get Radio Shack to figure out how to send it to get fixed. The store told me I had to call RS and RS told me I had to bring it to the store. I finally called a corporate office in California and kept pressing extensions until I got someone who actually listened to me. I either got hold of a manager for Long Island or I talked to a customer service who actually helped me. (Not hat crap 1-800-Shack number). The store sent it out, and I got it back in less than 2 weeks and it was fixed. (prob retuned like was suggested).

EDIT: Here is the link to that thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/287661-pro-164-cutting-out-transmissions.html

Last edited:

snowdog929

pro-164 scanner

i have a pro-43 scanner that picks up everything in the city i live in. i have the pro-164 sitting beside it and it picks up nothing. anyone have any ideas?

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Try the weather button if still nothing then most likely a broken antenna connection inside. You have to take it apart and look under the metal shield at the base of the connector. Also, if the connector is slightly loose then the wire is broken. I've fixed mine twice and the last time I had to de-solder the shield, solder the wire and then re-solder the shield back in place... Not an easy job! I was able to tighten the connector too even though the nut was glued to the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.