Reecom R-1650 Website Discrepancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger-Heli

I recently purchased a Reecom R-1650 Weather Radio.

I do like the product, but I bought it mostly based on the company's website info and the online programming guide.
weather radio R-1650 , Reecom Electronics, Inc.
http://www.reecominc.com/R1650PrgGuide.pdf

The actual product and the owners manual (which is accurate, but not available online - if possible, I'll try to attach later) are quite different - apparently Reecom modified the software - but since they didn't change the model number, there is no good way to know what you will get.

For reference - I am fairly new to weather radios. I previously picked up a Midland WR-120C, but returned it. The Midland alarm was like a smoke detector going off, and would make you jump out of your skin and set our dogs barking, etc.

Key differences between my unit and the online info:

• The programming guide says clearly that you can set the alarm and voice volume separately. On my unit you can't. I set the overall volume to 1 (range is either 0-16 or 0-15), and put one layer of scotch tape over the speaker opening. At 1 - it is about like a standard alarm clock and with the tape, it is fairly quiet, but still loud enough to wake me up. (The alarm does get progressively louder at any volume setting.)

• The online info says that if you set the alarm volume to zero, it will play at the volume that the radio was last set at. Obviously, this is incorrect - if you set the radio volume to zero (which is silent) and run an alarm test, it sets the volume to 1.

• The online info says the unit has End Of Message cutoff - The owner's manual says the voice alarm plays for 5 minutes - I haven't had an alert on it to verify it.

• The online info implies there are different alarms for statements, watches, and warnings. My unit just has beeps for test signals and sirens for everything else.

• There are a LOT less alarms you can defeat with my unit - the online info says you can defeat 48 of the 76 possible warnings, including Winter Storm Warning and Severe Thunderstorm Warning. In fact, I can only defeat 20 alarms: Flood Statement & Watch, Hurricane Statement and Watch, Tsunami Watch, Avalanche Watch, Volcano Watch, Severe Thunderstorm Watch, Flash Flood Statement and Watch, Winter Storm Watch. High Wind Watch, Coastal Flood Watch, Civil Danger Watch, Radiological Hazard Watch, Hazardous Materials Watch, Severe Weather Statement, Special Weather Statement, Required Weekly Test, and Required Monthly Test. The two I mentioned initially are significant to me. If it storms overnight, the thunder will wake me up, and if it snows, I'll see it in the morning. I don't need an alarm going off at 3:00 A.M. in either case. And I don't see an easy workaround - The Midland has an On/Off switch that I didn't see the use for but would be handy for this (I'm mainly concerned about tornados and you don't see those in winter.) I could unplug it and remove the batteries, but they I'd have to reprogram it again (or I could take it apart and solder a switch inline with the speaker). I found a partial workaround: If I plug a 3.5 M/M mini-jack cable into the Audio Out jack, the alarm is muted. (I could also probably disable all alarms in the menu - but this solution keeps me from having to remember settings.)

• The online info says it has 8 AM and 8 FM presets - my unit has 10 numbered 0-9. The radio works well - it won't replace a home stereo, but I wanted it for sports and news broadcasts, and it does fine for those. UPDATE: Really, the radio is marginal unless you are in a really strong signal area. I have an old analog CD player/Cassette radio that gets better reception, but the R-1650 digital tuner allows me to find the correct station on the analog radio and there is a news station that it picks up that would be handy for power outages, which is what I wanted it for.

• Online info says pressing the Memory key will display "NO EVENT MESSAGE" if no alerts have been received. My unit doesn't change the display - but I haven't received any event messages.

• Programming is quite a bit different - the online info says you can access eleven settings by pressing the PROG key. On my unit, the PROG key accesses ALERT MODE, CHANNEL SELECT, ENTER COUNTY, DEFEAT SIREN, ALARM SOCKET, and SIREN TEST. Pressing the ENTER key accesses SET CLOCK, SET DATE, ALARM 1 SET TIME, ALARM 2 SET TIME, and SLEEP TIMER. There are soft menus on the LCD, though, so it would be fairly easy to program without the owner's manual.

• I didn't realize it, but it makes sense - the STOP button won't put it in standby mode if you are listening to the FM radio - you have to switch the band back to WX and then press STOP.

• The bezel on my unit was loose (purchased on E-bay) - that seems to be a common complaint, but doesn't affect functionality.

• Some reviews said the battery backup on the units didn't work, but mine works fine.

• Some reviews said the alert time remaining was inaccurate - I haven't tested it yet, but it's a handy feature that most units lack anyway.

Another unit I considered was the Capello CR2W Safe & Sound Weather Alert Clock Radio sold for $30 at Target. It lacks the time remaining display and I mainly didn't get it b/c it doesn't support End Of Message shutoff like my R-1650 was SUPPOSED to.

However:

• While it has two alarm volume settings (High and Low) and lets you disable severe thunderstorm warnings and Winterstorm warnings - the alarms that are mandatory are all set to high volume. So to have a comfortable alert level, you probably want to set the alarm to high and use tape to muffle the speaker - and it has a larger speaker grille than the R-1650.

• Both of the two reviews on Target said the unit failed to produce alarms - even when they were already being broadcast on TV.

Tiger-Heli

I posted a review of this on Amazon and Reecom replied to my comments there.

Apparently, the unit I purchased (new, never used condition) was sold from 2002-2005 and discontinued then.

This can be verified by the owner's manual listing the model as R-1650 whereas newer version are shown as R-1650C on the owner's manual. Unfortunately, unless the seller shows the owner's manual in the ad, there is no easy way to know which unit you might be getting.

Tiger-Heli

Update:

There are some other ways to tell the two units apart:

Bezel - both on the unit itself and on the box artwork:

Older R-1650 - Says "Statement" below the green LED, says "Specific Area Message Encoding Weather Radio" in the upper right, says "7-Channel Weather Hazard Alert Radio" at the bottom.

Newer R-1650C - Says "Advisory/Statement" below the green LED, has the NOAA logo and Public Alert Logo in the upper right, says "Weather/All Hazards Alert/Public Safety Alert Radio" at the bottom.

Owners Manual Cover page:

Older R-1650 - Says:

Model: R-1650
Owner's Manual

Please read before using this Weather/Hazard Alert Radio

7-Channel S.A.M.E. Weather Radio
with Weather/Hazard Emergency Alert
And AM/FM Radio

Reecom Electronics Inc.

Newer R-1650C says:

Model: R-1650C
Owner's Manual

Please read before using this Alert Radio

S.A.M.E. Digital Weather / All Hazard Alert Radio
with AM/FM Digital Radio

Reecom® Alert Radio (with a box enclosing it)

Reecom Electronics Inc.

Reecom

Tiger-Heli

The plot thickens - there are now three models - the R-1650, R-1650C, and R-1650D.

The Programming guide link from the R-1650 radio page is the C-Version - both the C and D version programming guides are available on the Reecom home page. I haven't see a user manual online.

The manual for my unit says R-1650, and it has the bezel as I described above and works as I said above. There are several R-1650C's on E-bay and they look like I described. There are several videos of the R-1650D on YouTube. I'm not sure if there is an external difference between the R-1650C and R-1650D radios - I couldn't see one.

Comparing the programming guides - The R-1650D mentions End-Of-Message Standby, the R-1650C does not specifically say this, I'm not sure if it supports it or not (There were reviews on here from years ago saying it does). The R1650D has 24 Siren volumes instead of 16. The R-1650D is supposed to have 12 AM and 12 FM presets, compared to 8 for the R-1650C and 10 for the R-1650.

Tiger-Heli

http://forums.radioreference.com/se...ng/109893-weather-radio-follows-eom-data.html

The main question now is EOM detection.

My R-1650 doesn't have it, but it was apparently discontinued in 2005.

There are posts above that say that Reecom had the feature in 2008, but I don't definitively know when the R-1650C was introduced, and when the R-1650D replaced it.

The R-1650D supports it and there are YouTube videos specifically mentioning the R-1650D from 26Sep2012, but the unit might have been introduced prior to that date.

Tiger-Heli

I do finally have a question about the weather radio.

NOAA Status Alert

I set it up last Thursday and I know they normally test the system on Wednesday between 10 A.M. and 12 Noon.

I turned off alarm sirens (beeps) for weekly and monthly tests - but I expected the unit would still receive the alert and show it in the memory.

Yesterday it didn't show any alerts or tests received - and I thought it might be because I had the test alarms disabled, but it never occurred to me that maybe they weren't testing the system b/c of the government shutdown.

Questions:

Did other members get the test alerts yesterday?

If so, does it indicate my radio might be defective if it doesn't show the test received, since the alarm was disabled, or is that normal?

Thanks in advance!

Tiger-Heli

Uploaded scans of the quick reference guide and Owners Manual for the basic model R-1650.

The quality of the scan isn't the greatest, but if someone has one of these and lost the owner's manual or is considering buying one and wants to compare to the R-1650C and R-1650D, these should help.

Attachments

• R1650 Basic Quick Reference Guide.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 858
  • R1650 Basic Owners Manual Part I.pdf
    433.1 KB · Views: 277
  • R1650 Basic Owners Manual Part 2.pdf
    567.7 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

Tiger-Heli

Each day I seem to get another piece of the puzzle.

The R-1650C was released in 2006 and DOES support EOM detection.

The latest R-1650D was released early in 2012, but comparing the owners manual, the only apparent changes are 24 siren volumes vs. 16 and 24 radio presets (12 FM / 12 AM) vs. 16.

Last edited:

Tiger-Heli

Minor update - the original R-1650 (2002-2005) does not have 10 FM and 10 AM presets.

There are 10 total presets, but you can mix and match AM and FM and the radio will switch bands as you scan between them.

Tiger-Heli

UPDATE2: I found an old-school solution for the reception - I took about two feet of speaker wire, stripped a 1/2-inch of insulation off it, and wrapped the ends around the Reecom antenna. Reception is fine now, and I was able to keep the antenna retracted. (BTW - ReeCom sells an external antenna that uses an RCA plug, but plugging an RCA patch cord into this outlet does NOT help reception.)

Status
Not open for further replies.