• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BC 980

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulca

Just bought a BC 980.

Everyone happy with their BC 980?
Any issues?

sprite1741

Uniden 980ssb

There are two 980 ssb radios operating locally in my area and they are well liked. SSB is clean and on frequency. One guy had a galaxy 959 that was annoying all the ssb ops with drifting frequency, that bought a 980 so everyone benefited from it. I am planning to get a 980 soon for an in dash install on my newest car. The din size will be a perfect fit. I have a blank din size area below the stock cd xm radio. Still working out the details for this install.

mark40

Premium Subscriber
I'm also waiting on a 980 from Snake Radio Customs. Will give a report after install. Like Sprite I've heard mostly good things all around esp the rock solid ssb with no drift. The only negatives I've heard: The beeping sound with every turn of the dial/button push. There is a mod to remove the beep. Also there are no mods to add xtra channels. I have no interest in the xtra channels so I expect the 980 to do nicely

KNY2ADQ

I'm also waiting on a 980 from Snake Radio Customs. Will give a report after install. Like Sprite I've heard mostly good things all around esp the rock solid ssb with no drift. The only negatives I've heard: The beeping sound with every turn of the dial/button push. There is a mod to remove the beep. Also there are no mods to add xtra channels. I have no interest in the xtra channels so I expect the 980 to do nicely

I have the "no xtra" channel thing on the few CB forums I visit but have added "xtras" to mine.

sprite1741

980 install

Had my 980 since last Monday, already talked skip a few times on 38 lsb with a trunk mount magnetic antenna. For those interested it puts out 3.8 watts dead key AM and 12 pep on ssb out of the box on my Daiwa pep meter so 100% stock legal. Frequency is right on. Nice rig to operate and great reports form other stations. One guy I know who has one has removed a baffle from his microphone and has slightly louder audio. The baffle is in front of the element and seems to be for noise cancelling. I haven't tried that yet. I installed this in dash in my Grand Prix GXP. Perfect fit. Also matches the red Pontiac lighting. I needed something that would not be in the way and looked good, so the 980 was a perfect fit.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,932

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
What a nice install sprite1741! And I don't think I ever seen that kind of car interior, you say its a grand prix?

sprite1741

What a nice install sprite1741! And I don't think I ever seen that kind of car interior, you say its a grand prix?
2005 Grand Prix GXP V8. Finally a manufacturer is making some modern looking cb radios that that don't look out of place in a newer vehicle. The internal speaker is ducted to the front with a custom plastic duct/bezel I made up to complete the install. The sound exits just above the console. I have a Grant XL in my older work car. It would not fit anywhere in the Grand Prix. Too big and the 70's brushed aluminum look would be terrible unless I put a black face sticker on it. The Uniden was a perfect fit so it solved the problem. If I really want to get fancy I can remove the GM XM radio and go aftermarket. That would be a double din area freed up for a bcd-996 and a nice car stereo. I could use the Onstar antenna mount for the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.