Analog talk group and PSR800

Status
Not open for further replies.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Think I have found solution to problem with EMS to hospitals talk groups on Winston-Salem/Forsyth system. Very frequently (but not always) when monitoring on this scanner transmissions with the hospitals had a very annoying "birdie type" back ground noise making transmissions hard to understand. Those talk groups are marked as analog in RadioReference, and scanner was showing FM rather than D when receiving. The EMS units operate as digital (with clear audio) when talking on their dispatch or tac talk groups. On a hunch I looked at the EMS to Hospital talk groups in the EZ-Scan software. All were set to Analog. Since changing when all to AUTO rather than Analog I have not heard any of the birdie sounds. They still show FM when receiving on the hospital talk groups, but audio has been clear. Do not have this problem with PSR500, but all talk groups there are AUTO, cannot set for analog or digital. This apparent solution might have application in other systems as well. Will monitor for several more days before posting this on the GRE Forum. Has anyone else experienced this birdie (like birds chirping) problem? The analog settings that were there were from the import from RR library, I had not manually entered those TG. Perhaps it has to do with a digital capable radio operating in analog mode.
Ron

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I am a little confused here....If I understand you the talkgroups are listed correctly in the RR.com database as they are analog talkgroups. It appears you are saying there might be an issue with how the GRE scanner processes talkgroups marked as "Auto" verses how it handles talkgroups marked "analog". Is that correct?
Just trying to understand the situation here.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Think I have found solution to problem with EMS to hospitals talk groups on Winston-Salem/Forsyth system. Very frequently (but not always) when monitoring on this scanner transmissions with the hospitals had a very annoying "birdie type" back ground noise making transmissions hard to understand. Those talk groups are marked as analog in RadioReference, and scanner was showing FM rather than D when receiving. The EMS units operate as digital (with clear audio) when talking on their dispatch or tac talk groups. On a hunch I looked at the EMS to Hospital talk groups in the EZ-Scan software. All were set to Analog. Since changing when all to AUTO rather than Analog I have not heard any of the birdie sounds. They still show FM when receiving on the hospital talk groups, but audio has been clear. Do not have this problem with PSR500, but all talk groups there are AUTO, cannot set for analog or digital. This apparent solution might have application in other systems as well. Will monitor for several more days before posting this on the GRE Forum. Has anyone else experienced this birdie (like birds chirping) problem? The analog settings that were there were from the import from RR library, I had not manually entered those TG. Perhaps it has to do with a digital capable radio operating in analog mode.
Ron

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
You did a great job of interpreting my rambling. That is how it appears to me. The display always properly showed FM or D, but I think now the radio may not have internally "flipped all the switches." Btw, for some reason when they added Kernersville Medical Center (KMS) and also CMS talk groups 43536 & 43568 they are set and used as Digital, no problems with audio.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Just had another thought. Could this be system related? I don't monitor Greensboro system too much, but have never heard the birdies there on the analog TG to hospitals, and they are set to Analog and not Auto in the scanner. And with the W-S systems it has been hit or miss, sometimes clear, sometimes not, monitoring from the same location.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just had another thought. Could this be system related? I don't monitor Greensboro system too much, but have never heard the birdies there on the analog TG to hospitals, and they are set to Analog and not Auto in the scanner. And with the W-S systems it has been hit or miss, sometimes clear, sometimes not, monitoring from the same location.

Could be system related. :)
I don't know the exact tower locations but there is obviously
more to scanner reception than the location of scanner and scanner
antenna. Could be that the W-S system has towers in different locations
and the system could be configured differently. The radio system I help
maintain/manage is vastly different than VIPER and Cary even though
we are all Motorola systems.
Every system is unique.
Marshall KE4ZNR

fcfd988

Feed Provider
We are hearing the same sound you are describing on our radios on the system. There is nothing wrong with your scanner. The system managers and technicians were made aware of this issue a few years ago when it seemed to begin and no one has been able to find a solution as of yet. We only hear it on the subscriber units, not the consoles.

Wes

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Wes, thanks for your information. Now that it has been several days since I changed settings I have still heard the birdies on several transmissions. It seems it has been an improvement, but perhaps that is just wishful thinking. On one occasion months ago I asked a couple of an EMS crew at a fast food restaurant and they claimed they had not heard it so I thought it was only a scanner thing. You cleared that matter up. Strange that the techs haven't traced it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.