RS Pro 106 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoser147

Got a scanner to program for a gentleman RS PRO 106. Turned it on it goes straight to CPU upgrade screen. Waiting on PC. Checked Cable it works fine with my scanners.
Checked no buttons stuck.
All I can get is this

up Boot Ver; F1.4
up APP Ver: NONE
CPU SW UPGRADE
Wait for PC/IF
Any Idea's. Ive tried about everything I can think of but nothing. Thanks in Advance hoser 147

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Do a complete update to latest CPU and DSP...

hoser147

Ive tried uploading to it but the only screen I can get is the one I showed in first Post. Tried a couple different power adapters and nothing there. GumbyCT Im beginning to think the Drop theory might be the deal. Thanks Guys

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Did you try with radio off, then to plug the cable in with it off, then turn it on, run the cpu updater 2.1?
Just seeing you show appears is the problem-

How about reverting back to original firmware?
At power up do the following its on page 98 in manual
it'll clear the programmed items you put in.

Also look at page 97 reset.

Looking at http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/128825-pro-106-keypad-tricks.html
Steps 8 thru 10 and 12 try. The dsp 1.4 you showed you already have so step 11 I would avoid.

hoser147

Did you try with radio off, then to plug the cable in with it off, then turn it on, run the cpu updater 2.1?
Just seeing you show appears is the problem-

How about reverting back to original firmware?
At power up do the following its on page 98 in manual
it'll clear the programmed items you put in.

Also look at page 97 reset.

Looking at http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/128825-pro-106-keypad-tricks.html
Steps 8 thru 10 and 12 try. The dsp 1.4 you showed you already have so step 11 I would avoid.
I cant get it to do anything but show the screen from first post, this was how it was when I first started it up. Ive tried to do reset but it wont take any commands thru the buttons.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
It also 'could be' that the pcif jack thinks there is a cable in it? try the ole push in-out the programming cable end and hope the contacts separate if they are currently touching another without anything plugged into the pcif.

It probably wont work as it usualy doesnt, but worth a try, also that as you know, one would also have to push the PGM key as well and with the cable in it.

I too have programmed and updated many dozens of RS radios as well.

Havent opened up a 106 but if nothing else works, if comfortable, with power off, open it up, if it has 2 circuit boards as a pro 96 has, gently push on the outside of the top circuit board (to avoid touching components) maybe they arent making good contact? Again I havent opened a 106 up so I'm assuming is all.

Last edited:

hoser147

I gave that a try also. After I try to upload to scanner its show Error Turn off. Cant even get the backlight to shut off at all. None of the keypad tricks will do anything. Ive programed bunchs of these since they came out and never ran into a problem like this.

Last edited:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Positive the RS firmware was used and not the GRE? Im sure the updater wouldnt allow it to proceed though.
I know I had one PSR 500 to do and since they have two firmwares for CPU I accidentally picked the wrong one and it didnt work.I feel I tooI saw a None for the firmware showing as well. Customer right next to me... tense moment... then I used the other and it worked... whew!

Seen this - for a psr500 - http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/195196-unsuccessful-fw-upload.html

A bunch of forum threads pertaining to your "up APP Ver: NONE" might find something.
RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

hoser147

Positive the RS firmware was used and not the GRE? Im sure the updater wouldnt allow it to proceed though.
I know I had one PSR 500 to do and since they have two firmwares for CPU I accidentally picked the wrong one and it didnt work.I feel I tooI saw a None for the firmware showing as well. Customer right next to me... tense moment... then I used the other and it worked... whew!

Seen this - for a psr500 - http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/195196-unsuccessful-fw-upload.html

A bunch of forum threads pertaining to your "up APP Ver: NONE" might find something.
RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Im going to give it a try, I never laid eye's on this scanner till tonite so its hard to tell but it doesnt look abused. Thanks for the Assist. You got me wondering about the unsucessful upload link. If he took it to the one radio shop they sell GRE and may have tried to upload the firmware from them.

Last edited:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Looking at that error code a few threads only but look em over-
No CPU Application Code

I assume you are using the correct cable - saying dongle or not used, with my cable 20-546 to not use the add on dongle cable on a 106.

hoser147

yep cable was correct. Works fine on all my other scanners. THANKS! I got it to go. Persistence Pays off. Thanks for the Replies and Assistance from Everyone!!

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
"Got it to go".... ok let us know how you got it going? " Retrying the operation may be successful" did you keep retrying till it took?

Certainly this will help everyone who also has the same problem!

hoser147

Yep, I just keep trying as it instruced. I redownloaded some of the files and really suspect it was a courupt file causing the issue. Sorry cant tell ya more thats how it worked out.

N1BHH

Every talk group must be assigned to a scan list when you have trunk systems. Most likely one of the talk groups wasn't assigned. Hopefully you're using Win500 which is recommended by many.

Status
Not open for further replies.