• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS1500 quick call problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

portable75

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys. Our dept just put into service some XTS1500 VHF radios. We use quick call for paging however it's not working on these radios. It works fine simplex but not duplex. Any suggestions????

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I would guess that the tone alert function is not programmed for the duplex zone. (By duplex, are you meaning using a repeater?)

jim202

The other thing to look at is the pre delay on the encoder. If you don't put in at least a 300 to 400 millisecond delay, the pager will send the page tones out too soon and the repeater may not be up and decoding the CTCSS on the incoming control station signal. If your not running a control station for the paging encoder, the per delay will help the pager open up by letting the squelch open before the tones arrive.

The other problem could be that the page tones are too hot and being distorted going through the repeater. Page tones can't be put into compression going through a repeater. This is an old age problem that most radio techs don't understand.

Setting up the repeater so that you have very little compression will keep the tones from distorting. The pagers have a hard time decoding distorted tones and tones where the twist (high to low tones) have a different level. Plus with most of the VHF and UHF transmitters now converted to narrow band deviation, paging problems are showing up more and more.

You didn't say how the repeater is getting the paging tones. If you are using wire line controlling the repeater, there is a good possibility that the audio level going to the repeater is too hot and clipping the page tones. Again, the page tones can not be into compression using the wire line control of the repeater by the dispatch center.

With the little info you provided, I think I covered the whole gauntlet.

Last edited:

portable75

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys.

To be more clear. The xts1500 works fine or receives pages from another portable fine (simplex). Will not work from tones out of the dispatch or repeater.

Minitor pagers and other portables such as ht1250's work fine.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys.

To be more clear. The xts1500 works fine or receives pages from another portable fine (simplex). Will not work from tones out of the dispatch or repeater.

Minitor pagers and other portables such as ht1250's work fine.

That tells me there is a tone difference, or a PL issue.

Sent via Tapatalk

AFDFireMedic

Feed Provider
XTS1500 QCII paging problem SOLVED!

Our QCII radio tones at our FD started out with the first tone being at 313Hz.

Here was our situation...

FD Minitor pagers decoded existing low tones (313/349Hz sequence) fine;
FD XPR6550 portables decoded existing low tones fine (direct and through repeater);
FD HT750/1250 portables decoded existing low tones fine (direct and through repeater);
FD XTS1500 portables decoded existing low tones fine on SIMPLEX (from an HT1250 AND CDM1550 generated) only;
"Voice Mute" was enabled properly on the display of the XTS radios (speaker with the slash through it) during each test.

We (and the radio company) tore the codeplug and firmware apart to no avail...we tried the working codeplug on the newest delivered XTS1500 radio (to rule out firmware) with no change (QCII was correctly programmed), tried both with and without PL (and/or), and remember, it ACTIVATED when the tone was sent from an HT1250 or CDM1550...we thought phone line to repeater may have been the culprit but we have a remote primary MTR2000 and a hot standby local MTR2000 that we switched over to (no phone line), and STILL no success...

The radio company, on a hunch, programmed in a higher set of QCII tones into our (drum roll please...) MCC5500 MOTOROLA CONSOLE...and low and behold (no pun intended), the XTS1500 ACTIVATED/DECODED correctly!

Moral of the story as we were advised by the radio company?? "CHANGE YOUR TONES, THEY ARE TOO LOW." They suggested having no tones lower than 600Hz. Needless to say, I was not happy that Motorola's problem had become MY problem but nonetheless, it WAS the quickest, least painful solution.

Why an M console won't encode one of their newest series M radios "because the tones generated by the console are too low for the XTS to decode properly", I guess I'll never know but that's the only common denominator that they and I could come up with. INHO, it's more of a problem with the XTS and low tones than it is with the console but the console seemed to be throwing in the monkey wrench so before you beat your heads against the wall too much, try a mid-range to higher set of QCII tones before you do anything else if your XTS isn't decoding properly.

Hey Portable75, your radio guy should've figured this one out! I'd trade HIM in for a newer model ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.