Programming Palmetto 800 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim17

Hi I'm new to this trunking stuff. Needing info on how to program. I live in Lexington County and see the Lexington Simulcast frequencies. Do you just put those in and can listen to them. How do you listen to the talk groups like for fire and ems, police, etc. Thanks for the help

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Please tell us which scanner model you're using and that will help us explain how to program the scanner.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Well, you'd program the Red and Blue frequencies listed for the Lexington Simulcast System in one bank of the PRO-164 and set the MODE of those channels to MOT. Then set the mode of the Bank to MOT. If you press scan and the bank you programmed these frequencies in is in Open Mode (+ under the bank number in scan mode), then the scanner should scan the system and display all active talkgroups.

Keep in mind that many local talkgroups are digital - Richland Co SO, Columbia PD, etc, and that the Lexington Co SO is encrypted. None of these agencies can be monitored with the PRO-164. Only those talkgroups listed with an "A" in the mode column in the RR database Palmetto 800 page can be monitored with a PRO-164.

Many people find using programming software greatly simplifies programming. Win97 software is a popular choice, but there are others. A programming cable is also required.

This link may also help: Easier to Read Pro-164/163 PSR300/C/400/C Scanner Manual

Good luck.

DeputyDuffy

Alright! I have almost no hair left, having pulled most of it out.
I'm searching for outside help now before ridding myself of this brain burner for good.
I'm two weeks into this cell fryer and no closer now than I was when it arrived.

DeputyDuffy

Programming. Can't figure out banks, how to clear the whole thing and start over. (previously owned) and trunking system. (Palmetto 800)
I'd give it to my friend to keep, but I like him too much.
I've already put it back in the box to give away after a month of frustration. (Radio Shack Pro-163)
This instruction booklet makes my brain burn. ☺

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Programming. Can't figure out banks, how to clear the whole thing and start over. (previously owned) and trunking system. (Palmetto 800)
I'd give it to my friend to keep, but I like him too much.
I've already put it back in the box to give away after a month of frustration. (Radio Shack Pro-163)
This instruction booklet makes my brain burn. ☺

I can't send you a PM due to your settings. What part of lexington are you in? if you are willing to meet over in Cayce area I could upload a file into your scanner for you to get you going. The 163 is analog so no Columbia PD or Richland Sheriff but you can still hear Lexingtown town pd, lex fire & ems, richland fire & ems, highway patrol etc.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
A lot of people find these online "easier to read" manuals to be very helpful when they are learning to configure their scanner. Perhaps you haven't seen it, and maybe it will help:

Easier to Read Pro-164/163 PSR300/C/400/C Scanner Manual

There's a link to "Scanner reset" that will certainly answer that part of your question.

Most people find that programming a modern scanner manually or "by hand" to be very challenging, and that using computer software makes the process much easier. Unfortunately it requires some additional monetary investment in exchange for the convenience:
- software is usually about $20-$30
- programming cable to interface between the scanner and computer - $20-$30
- optional RadioReference account that allows data download from RR

If you can find a kind soul such as Caesar to help, all the better. But investing in the software and cable and the time to figure it out can allow you to customize your programming as your interests change, and also to reprogram your radio as radio systems change over time.

Good luck.

DeputyDuffy

Analog? Really? Sheesh! I sure got fooled. Guess I need to research before I buy, eh?
I'd be more than happy to get with you.
I'm not going to be able to purchase anything else for this thing until at least the middle of March.
I'm about a mile behind Dixie Pipeline off of Laurel.

DeputyDuffy

A lot of people find these online "easier to read" manuals to be very helpful when they are learning to configure their scanner. Perhaps you haven't seen it, and maybe it will help:

Easier to Read Pro-164/163 PSR300/C/400/C Scanner Manual

There's a link to "Scanner reset" that will certainly answer that part of your question.

Most people find that programming a modern scanner manually or "by hand" to be very challenging, and that using computer software makes the process much easier. Unfortunately it requires some additional monetary investment in exchange for the convenience:
- software is usually about $20-$30
- programming cable to interface between the scanner and computer - $20-$30
- optional RadioReference account that allows data download from RR

If you can find a kind soul such as Caesar to help, all the better. But investing in the software and cable and the time to figure it out can allow you to customize your programming as your interests change, and also to reprogram your radio as radio systems change over time.

Good luck.

Thanks, Brian.
Y'all have been a big help.
I'm going to try that route with Caesar and see how it goes.
I won't be able to purchase any more of anything for this project until at least the middle of March.
I DO have a candidate picked out, however, to inherit this thing/project should my poor inadequate brain burn out before then. ☺

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Analog? Really? Sheesh! I sure got fooled. Guess I need to research before I buy, eh?
I'd be more than happy to get with you.
I'm not going to be able to purchase anything else for this thing until at least the middle of March.
I'm about a mile behind Dixie Pipeline off of Laurel.

Send me a PM and we can see about meeting in the next week or two. I have a Pro-163/164 file from before i'll start to update it.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Ok, i got your number down so you can delete it from the post. Let me work on the file and i'll give you a call later this week, Wednesday or Thursday probably.

DeputyDuffy

HA! I haven't figured out how to do that either.
I DO, however know how to use a "dial phone" . Ok...So I'm not exactly electronic equipped.
Ok, i got your number down so you can delete it from the post. Let me work on the file and i'll give you a call later this week, Wednesday or Thursday probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.