22.820 Mhz. USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very load and strong on this freq. Been monitoring it for about two hours and still going strong. Off-On whisle and what sounds like blocks of wood knocking together. As I am typing this, signal has stopped with a short cw I.d. at 1958Hrs. Zulu. My location is Grid Square EN66hh. Anyone know what this is. Thanks.

P.S This is my first post here on RadioReferance.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
My location is Grid Square EN66hh. Is that your location or what you heard?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Please don't use amateur grids. We're not all hams here - just saying Wisconsin is fine.

Onward....Gilles Letourneau on the UDXF group suggests it may be SuperDARN radar (freq measured by him is 22819 Khz...)

Mike

Last edited:
No recording of the signal. Just starting to get the receivers up and running, Getting back into the hobby. Intercepted the signal on a Panasonic RF-4900. Antenna, just a random length (about 30') end fed through a 9-1 balum, running around the shack. EN66hh is were I am and that is in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I will not use grid square again. I am ready to record this signal if I intercept it again. I like to hear the CW I.D. at the end when it stops transmitting.
Thanks for the replies.

Just listen to some recording of the SuperDARN on YouTube. And, this is not what I heard. The wood block sound was much much slower cadence and the signal was constant. Will have to record it next time.

Token

Please don't use amateur grids. We're not all hams here - just saying Wisconsin is fine.

Onward....Gilles Letourneau on the UDXF group suggests it may be SuperDARN radar (freq measured by him is 22819 Khz...)

Mike

SuperDARN for this signal is just flat out wrong. The SuperDARN waveform is well defined and understood. The SuperDARN uses a pulsed waveform with a 100 to 300 microsecond pulse width and a 7 position pulse grouping. The SuperDARN transmitter duty cycle is typically less than 4% although the latest generation of transmitters seems to be capable of over 7%. Regardless, this transmission is 100% duty, something the SuperDARN transmitters would probably not be able to do at their normal operational power levels (block diagrams and partial schematics for SuperDARN can be found online). Also, SuperDARN transmitters appear to have a 20 MHz low pass filter at the output of the final amp, making 22918 kHz an improbability even if the rest of the system could do it. And I have never seen a confirmed SuperDARN transmission above 18 MHz.

Later this evening I will start a thread concerning this signal, I need to make a video to go with it. I had this planned with some of the other threads in other forums I have seen about this signal, I guess I will have it to do ;)

T!

Last edited:

jim01028

22.820 MHZ

Very load and strong on this freq. Been monitoring it for about two hours and still going strong. Off-On whisle and what sounds like blocks of wood knocking together. As I am typing this, signal has stopped with a short cw I.d. at 1958Hrs. Zulu. My location is Grid Square EN66hh. Anyone know what this is. Thanks.

P.S This is my first post here on RadioReferance.

I am hearing an open carrier on 22.820, AM mode, very strong at 1559 UTC from Mass. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.