• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Using RadioReference through CHIRP to program UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVremembersFlight93

Premium Subscriber
I can load my local frequencies into CHIRP with a query via my Radio Reference account, but I cannot upload to my radio. I must be missing something very simple. Any advice, direction, and insight would be deeply appreciated.

N4CA

Can you read from the radio? If not, then it is either a connection problem (make sure the plug is all the way in the radio jack) or maybe a driver problem. The latest driver won't work with unofficial Prolific chips in the cable and most cables have unofficial Prolific chips. In that case, you'll have to uninstall the driver, get the old driver, and use that when you attach it to the computer.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

kb9mnm

Cable

I started using a Kenwood KPG-22 cable with my Etekcity UV-5RA. After installing the drivers, it works great!

ke4psa

hugeeeee note on CHIRP.... if you are using windows 7 64bit, DONT!!! i set my compatability mode to winxp sp3 and downloaded the 2may2015 mod and booyah!!! baofeng uv-5r programmed with ease!!!

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I can load my local frequencies into CHIRP with a query via my Radio Reference account, but I cannot upload to my radio. I must be missing something very simple. Any advice, direction, and insight would be deeply appreciated.

You must download from your radio first to create a tab that is compatible with your radio. The tab will say something like "Baofeng UV-5R: ". Unless is says that in the tab, it will not upload into your radio.

Once you've successfully downloaded from your radio, immediately perform a File -> Save to save the radio's current channels and settings as a CHIRP Radio Images (*.img) file. Put this file in a safe place and leave it alone. It is you backup.

Now perform a File -> Save As to create a "working" copy. That will be the file you use to edit your channels and settings. Now you can import you RadioReference data into this tab.

Jim KC9HI

lohtse

hugeeeee note on CHIRP.... if you are using windows 7 64bit, DONT!!! i set my compatability mode to winxp sp3 and downloaded the 2may2015 mod and booyah!!! baofeng uv-5r programmed with ease!!!

been using windows 7 64bit laptop and a pc(64bit) and no issues for me! same with windows 8 64bit laptop too...works fine for me... no mods or compatability mode used at all!

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber

You have probably started a tab by clicking File -> New and have created a generic tab.

You must have a tab that is compatible with your radios (in other words it will start with "Baofeng UV-5R:").

To get a tab that is compatible with your radio, you must download from your radio. Once you are successful at downloading from your radio, the first thing you should do is save it to a CHIRP Radio Image (*.img) file. This file should never be changed and kept in a safe place as a back up. Then you can save a second time to a different name to be used as your "working" copy (the data file that you edit).

You'll still be able to use the work that you've already done. Just copy and paste the work that you have done on the "generic" tab to your new UV-5R tab. Then upload the changes to your radio.

Jim KC9HI

Whoops... I replied to the wrong (and very old) post.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber

I have been using CHIRP for over 3 years and have installed in on many computers over that time (I have Windows 7 64-bit both here and at work). I have never had a reason to run CHIRP in any sort of Windows "compatibility mode".

Jim KC9HI

shanefawks

New to the boafeng 50x2

I have a question I have sign up for premium thru radio reference and it won't let me upload the query I go to my sign in and hit and this is what I get it says unknown invalid token what am I doing wrong?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Chirp

With any programming software, the first thing you should always do is read the radio and save the original data. Then you can open or create a code plug and send it to the radio. If you can't read it, you can't write to it.

KD8DVR

I have a question I have sign up for premium thru radio reference and it won't let me upload the query I go to my sign in and hit and this is what I get it says unknown invalid token what am I doing wrong?

Yes, premium membership is required to do what you want to do. Once you have premium service, your normal user ID and password will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.