Is Opensky in nepa monitoring possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2dlr

Premium Subscriber
Hi I am new to the forum, so be easy on Me! Lol. I'd like to know if anyone has monitored anything coming from the opensky system used by the state of pennsylvania. If so, which reciever was used? What reciever would be the best for monitoring, and decoding the system if possible? I'm new to the digital/trunk system monitoring. so as I said, be easy on my uneducated status please, Thanks!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

It's not possible, and that is coming from the most educated and experienced monitors reading here on RR. I'll let someone else provide the details, but regardless of receiver or software... You're not going to listen to OpenSky and hear anything intelligible. Actually, PASP can't always use it and have it work for them.... But that's the topic of another thread in this forum.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Hang tight. PA is looking at migrating over to a P25 platform for the system. So, OpenSky may become a thing of the past over the next few years Of course, then we'll have to wait and see who ends up encrypted.

radicalbill

What model radio is used by PASP for open Sky ?

Does anyone know the make and model of the radios they are using for open sky ?

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
They are all Harris radios, I'm not up to date on the models but I do remember them using Harris M7200 mobiles and P7100 Portables.

RayAir

OpenSky can use AES encryption, but it does not use encryption by default as others have suggested.

I am familiar with the system. The radios are P7200 portables and M7200 mobiles.

Don't think you can buy a OpenSky capable radio on eBay and set it up to listen, you can't.

OpenSky can sound (and work) really well, unfortunately it requires quite a few tower sites compared to our old system (EDACS).

ocguard

Are there any public safety entities other that Pennsylvania State Police/PennDOT and Cumberland County, PA using OpenSky? Las Vegas Metro Police was the only other user I was aware of, and they've gone live on a P25 Phase II system, leaving OpenSky only operating at their jail (for now).

Voyager

I thought PA was the only one left on OS, but if Milwaukee uses it, that's about 2 using and 5 abandoned.

ffemt134

I don't think it's broadly used by frontline public safety agencies... the county seems to be set in using their mostly UHF conventional channels for police, fire, and EMS.

As far as I know, it doesn't exist. I believe it was planned years ago, but never came to be.

The_B_Chief

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, it doesn't exist. I believe it was planned years ago, but never came to be.

The system does exist. Well sort of.

Most Region 13 assets and PEMA vehicles in the area have/had OS radios installed in them. The system is used for training and limited real world exercises. With the exception of PSP, the system is not used by any other agencies as their primary system.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
The system does exist. Well sort of.

Most Region 13 assets and PEMA vehicles in the area have/had OS radios installed in them. The system is used for training and limited real world exercises. With the exception of PSP, the system is not used by any other agencies as their primary system.

All of the regional taskforces across the state were issued Openksy equipment years ago. Region 13 is one of those taskforces. All that gear would be for the state system and would be programmed with PEMA talkgroups and regional taskforce talkgroups. PEMA is on the air daily with the state EOC doing checks, but I have yet to hear a county asset use the taskforce talkgroups available out this way...doesn't mean it never happens, but I would call it rare for sure.

Evgeni

The only OpenSky monitorable is the Turnpike stuff that is simulcasted on analog VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.