Kern County Sheriff Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opfor2

Is Kern County Sheriffs Department narrow or wide band?
progress.gif

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Is Kern County Sheriffs Department narrow or wide band?
progress.gif
Narrow for several years now. In July 2011 one of the KCSO Communications Div dispatchers (or dispatch supervisors) emailed me that

"We went narrow band on all sheriff and fire channels last year [2010]. I think they reprogrammed the last of the repeaters for Animal Control, General Services and Parks just after the first of the year. They had a mass countywide reprogramming of all mobiles and H/T's last fall .. What a nightmare. Bakersfield Fire is now all narrow band, but Bakersfield Police still haven't changed. At least I know no one in Kern County has plans of going digital anytime soon. We have a couple of digital channels that are fully encrypted for special uses.."

What, if any, changes may have been made in the 2+ years since then, I have no idea.

Opfor2

Narrow for several years now. In July 2011 one of the KCSO Communications Div dispatchers (or dispatch supervisors) emailed me that

"We went narrow band on all sheriff and fire channels last year [2010]. I think they reprogrammed the last of the repeaters for Animal Control, General Services and Parks just after the first of the year. They had a mass countywide reprogramming of all mobiles and H/T's last fall .. What a nightmare. Bakersfield Fire is now all narrow band, but Bakersfield Police still haven't changed. At least I know no one in Kern County has plans of going digital anytime soon. We have a couple of digital channels that are fully encrypted for special uses.."

What, if any, changes may have been made in the 2+ years since then, I have no idea.

KMA367,

thank you for your assistance and my apologies for the dual posts.

Dan..

1979lee

well... i know this is an OLD post, but ive been researching kern county sheriffs dept fcc reports and ive came across several channels that have digital emmission codes... any info if they are switching to p25 or encription?
i'm getting back into scanner after a few years off, still have some ok equipment and antennas up, but im nailed to the wall when it comes to p25 stuff......

thanks

1979lee

Came through the area yesterday and didnt see anything digital with KCSO.... which channels were you seeing that on?

sorry for the late reply.(ive been out of the scanner thing for a little while now)
just getting back into things. and ive missed a lot of info on kern county.

its been very active on 460.100 west dispatch kern sheriff, possible bleedover from an unnamed co of kern freq
460.1125. diffitnaly digital traffic, i only know of one freq thats digital for kcsd,460.150

an fcc search brought up the following unnamed kern co freqs

460.07500 11K2F1E - 12.5 digital voice
460.11250 8K10F1E P25 Phase I C4FM

anyone in on the know here in kc?:wink:

kma371

QRT
sorry for the late reply.(ive been out of the scanner thing for a little while now)
just getting back into things. and ive missed a lot of info on kern county.

its been very active on 460.100 west dispatch kern sheriff, possible bleedover from an unnamed co of kern freq
460.1125. diffitnaly digital traffic, i only know of one freq thats digital for kcsd,460.150

an fcc search brought up the following unnamed kern co freqs

460.07500 11K2F1E - 12.5 digital voice
460.11250 8K10F1E P25 Phase I C4FM

anyone in on the know here in kc?:wink:

What NAC were they using? I know there are several users in and around San Joaquin County that use same frequencies. Could have possibly have been them. As far as I know, Kern County may be licensed for digital, but I still hear them on their analog frequencies.

1979lee

What NAC were they using? I know there are several users in and around San Joaquin County that use same frequencies. Could have possibly have been them. As far as I know, Kern County may be licensed for digital, but I still hear them on their analog frequencies.

yes i hear them in the clear too. they moved the "metro" radio over to the countywide "admin" ch 460.575. from 453.050.

nac? had to look that up. i dont know. my radios dont do digital.(way too much money from me).
no pl or control ch was seen on my psr400. see i usually have the pl set. i dont hear all the repeter beeps that way, but ive been useing my old rs pro-2052 which dosent have that ability. so thats how im hearing all this digital noise. its been going on now for months. and i pick up this digital stuff so much its annoying to listen to west dispatch 460.100 conatant Braaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

not many people from my area post here on rr, somethime it seems im the only one in kern with a scanner...

thanks lee

smokeybehr

The latest word that I've received is that Kern County is going to be moving over to a massive UHF P25 trunked system. The system is currently undergoing engineering studies, so once that's complete, they'll begin the bidding process, and then on to construction.

Eng74

Unless they are getting money from a grant or something that night be on hold. With oil prices that have dropped the budgets for KCSO and KCFD are not looking good at all. All the cutting has been done and personnel is the next step. Plans are in place to close sub-stations and things are not looking good when July comes around.

1979lee

The latest word that I've received is that Kern County is going to be moving over to a massive UHF P25 trunked system. The system is currently undergoing engineering studies, so once that's complete, they'll begin the bidding process, and then on to construction.

:evil:.... so it looks like i either need to buy a very costly digi scanner or sell all my radios...
cause i listen to kern sheriff/fire 90% and the rest like bpd/chp 10%..:confused:

oh how i just love this news.....:roll::roll::roll:
i somehow knew something like this was soon gonna happen,what with that massive new comm center up by BC

thanks for the info. digi trunked system and RIP the HAGG(Merle Haggard) in one day:(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jlVdC4qxsQ

kma371

QRT
:evil:.... so it looks like i either need to buy a very costly digi scanner or sell all my radios...

If this is happening, which I'm not too sure about because I haven't seen any documentation, you are talking several years away before something like this comes online.

1979lee

If this is happening, which I'm not too sure about because I haven't seen any documentation, you are talking several years away before something like this comes online.

very true:)

ive been looking at a few digital scanners... WOW nice stuff buy crazy expensive for my little budget....

Eng74

I know it was almost 10 years for KCFD to do the switch over to VHF. We had the HT radios in the stations for almost 2 years. They had to get sent back in to get reprogrammed and new batteries.

cvfd625

I have contacts in both the Sheriff's Office and KCFD. No chatter on digital. I know the Fire Department is investigating cross-banding UHF frequencies with some of the VHF command channels for improved in-building coverage. But that is probably several years off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

krazybob

I just read a post from I guess last year where someone said that Kern County was going to a wide area trunked system. I cannot say one way or another but I would find it very odd. The only area of importance is Metro Bakersfield. Why spend so much money on the infrastructure alone unless it's to join the 700Mz federal interop? I realize the frequencies proposed are UHF but that doesn't mean they would not have a gateway of their own that could be punched up. Does anyone have any more information on this?

From my home at 7000 feet in the San Bernardino's I hear Kern County loud and clear. My own 2 meter repeater makes it to Tehachapi and even some spots in Bakersfield so what I'm saying is I can hear them just as well.

My biggest question is why they would follow in the footsteps of San Bernardino County that switch to an 800 TRS and as soon as units arrived on scene they generally switch to VHF fire ground. This is because we have what is called Auto Aid.

Because of the overlapping areas of jurisdiction anytime a fire comes out regardless of whose jurisdiction it is believed to be everybody responds and they worry about the paperwork later. The point is is that they switch to VHF because CALFIRE and Forest Service are already there.

Running Springs Station 51 on the west side of town always has a CALFIRE rig station there as well and they generally respond in tandem even to medical calls. The funny thing is is that the calfire rig will come up on BDU-1 and report that they are responding with Running Springs. Another calfire engine is stationed at the Forest Service in Sky Forest. LOL. It just all seems redundant as far as radio is concerned. I certainly understand why CALFIRE shares the barracks.

Why would Kern think it needs such an elaborate system?

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
It's very unlikely KCSO will move to any sort of digital trunked radio system in the near future. Their budget is incredibly tight right now and they seem to be doing an amazing job with what little they have to go on. Keep enjoying them on UHF.

As far as what cvfd said, crossbanding county law enforcement on UHF to county fire and Bakersfield PD on VHF seems to be the route they're working on in the near future.

krazybob

Aside from DHS grant money to do so -- WHY? Its farm land surrounded by national forest with a couple cities here and there. Bakersfield by far the largest. Kern SO is running at 1/3rd of their field units due to budget cuts. I was in Bakersfield when my Bendix-King HT was stolen. <sigh>

Status
Not open for further replies.