BC350A squelch issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9swx

Feed Provider
I have 2 of these BC350A's that I use for a scanner stream. I noticed recently the squelch is stuck open on one of them and turning the squelch knob does not fix it. I tried different frequencies in different bands and it's the same on all of them. Even unplugging the antenna doesn't fix it, so I think that eliminates a local noise source. I pulled up the local weather radio frequency and it sounds fine, no white noise behind the signal.

I popped the hood on the unit and noticed some internal pots, but I don't know if/which one controls the squelch further. Obviously there could be other issues with the scanner, but figured I would start there. I've searched the forum but have not found any specific reference to these pots. The ones I see are labeled as L6, L8, L11, L12, L13 and RT1. I don't want to start adjusting them at random and make things worse.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE: I put the radio back together and now the squelch works. Not sure if there was dust in there somewhere or a heat related issue, but it's working now.

Last edited:

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
open squelch

I had a BC 760 that did that... found the squelch pot inside and just a turn back and forth couple times fixed it..guess they get a little film build up on them occasionally, think i've only had to do this maybe twice in the dozen or so years i've had it.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
The pot I was referring to is inside the scanner, mine was near the front panel end of the circuit board...it is the sensitivity or range adjustment for the squelch control on the front panel... they get a little film under the contact point of the pot and loose contact... just a slight turn back and forth will usually fix it. Have had this happen on a couple uniden scanners now that I think of it.

Last edited:

lep

"pots" are variable resistors, these components are not usually labeled with "L" as that normally means an Inductor in an electronic circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:

k9swx

Feed Provider
The pot I was referring to is inside the scanner, mine was near the front panel end of the circuit board...it is the sensitivity or range adjustment for the squelch control on the front panel... they get a little film under the contact point of the pot and loose contact... just a slight turn back and forth will usually fix it. Have had this happen on a couple uniden scanners now that I think of it.

That seems to have done the trick. Going on 24 hours and the squelch noise *knock on wood* has not come back. Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.