SMIRC (San Mateo County 700 MHz Project 25) active again

Status
Not open for further replies.

jland138

SMIRC (San Mateo Interoperable Radio Communications), the County's 700 MHz Project 25 system, has become active again this week. The 10 channel simulcast cell seems to have more talk groups active than in past tests. Still using the same frequencies listed in the RR database.

Hooligan

My understanding is that a few entities have migrated over to the new system, and that most/all municipal LEAs like San Mateo PD, Redwood City PD, et al have not moved to it, and are not currently planning on moving to it.

LowBat

Premium Subscriber
My understanding is that a few entities have migrated over to the new system, and that most/all municipal LEAs like San Mateo PD, Redwood City PD, et al have not moved to it, and are not currently planning on moving to it.

What "few entities" did you hear about?

Redwood City recently invested in new Kenwood radios so they, for example, are clearly avoiding big M's proprietary system.

Stealthguy05

Redwood City will eventually have to leave the T-Band just like the rest of XSM Law enforcement. This would most likely be done by moving everyone to the new system. Fire is another story. They are doing just fine with their VHF systems

richtidd

Database Admin
So far I only hear SMCo Parks on TG:

These are not simulcasted on the T-Band TRS.

So far & am not hearing any other agency.

What other TG's are being heard?

richtidd

Database Admin
What site are you listening to?

Simulcast

So far I am hearing what appears to be:
513 Animal Control
514 Animal Control
534 Parks
535 Parks
536 Poss Parks
628 = Roads 3 TG10048 on the UHF system (This is the only one so far that is on both system).

All the rest are on the 700 only as far as I can tell so this poss tells me that AC, Parks & PW have moved to the 700 system.

Other TG's have appeared but with no traffic or I was not there to here them:

Stealthguy05

Can we confirm if these are TDMA talkgroups? My 436 is picking them up, but my 396 is not. I have them side by side too.

dxradio2003

Info Only: I was listening to the 700 Mhz. frequencies perfectly with my Pro-106 yesterday when I was in Redwood City. Seems to be a strong and clear signal (simulcasting the UHF trunking band). I had programmed in all the control sites listed except for the coastal frequencies.

Stealthguy05

Loud and clear as far south as 85 and Cottle in San Jose. Dispatch Red is loud and clear PT0 and PT1

Stealthguy05

Very poor coverage on their old or new system down past 85&101. Perhaps there can be a roaming TG in the future on the SVRCS as that makes it as far as Pacheco Pass

jland138

SMIRC update from: http://bayareauasi.org/sites/default/files/resources/021314 Agenda Item 7 P25 Systems Update.pdf

The San Mateo County P25 Infrastructure, consisting of 20 radio sites, is complete. Any additional sites added to the system will be determined by which agencies join. It is estimated that an additional $3.3 million is required to purchase dispatch consoles and an estimated 3 radio sites. Six hundred of the eighteen hundred radios purchased are currently active on the system. The active user agencies include: Sheriff's Office, EMS, Public Health, Animal Control, Parks Probation, Public Works and the County Coroner. The remaining twelve hundred user radios will be operational by the end of June, 2014. It is estimated that the total number of users could reach 4,600.

richtidd

Database Admin
We now have a larger TG listing in the RR data base for this system.

I was able to monitor & analize the system to some degree gathering a last number of TG's.
I was able to match some of them to the UHF TG's.

Based on the long list I sent in, Inigo88 determined San Mateo County is going through Motorola's SmartX upgrade, which allows the county to replace their SmartZone (ASTRO 4.1) core trunking infrastructure with P25 (ASTRO 7.x) and re-use their old SmartZone sites.He says P25 systems take the SmartZone talkgroups and divide them by 16. Comparing the talkgroups you submitted (P25 format) with the existing San Mateo UHF talkgroups (SmartZone format), you will quickly discover that they are the same talkgroups. He says, take any UHF SmartZone talkgroup, divide by 16, and you will arrive at the P25 equivalent.

He then began transposing these talkgroups from the UHF system to the P25 version.

There may be some discrepancies in the new 700 list but so far it seams mostly OK.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Great document, thanks! To add, Richard discovered some higher numbered talkgroup IDs up in the thousands range which are too large to have followed the divide by 16 rule, so I believe these are new P25 talkgroups not part of the old system. Further monitoring is necessary, and if anyone can identify them please submit updates to the database!

Mtdineen

Hello does anyone know the location of the "County Simulcast" site and the "Towne Ridge" site? I assumed the old UHF (south site) was on Rolf Hill, but the new county simulcast is a weaker signal relative to my current location (south SM county). I am guessing it is in RWC in/on the communication center? Thanks.

Stealthguy05

Is there a repeater or signal booster at San Jose's Caltrain building near Coleman and Taylor? The CC seems to get strong in about a 1/4 mile radius.

officer_415

Database Admin
Hello does anyone know the location of the "County Simulcast" site and the "Towne Ridge" site? I assumed the old UHF (south site) was on Rolf Hill, but the new county simulcast is a weaker signal relative to my current location (south SM county). I am guessing it is in RWC in/on the communication center? Thanks.

The simulcast consists of 12 transmitters covering the Hwy 101 / 280 corridor, as well as Pacifica and Half Moon Bay. Towne Ridge is a fill-in site southeast of La Honda. Rolph Hill is one of the simulcast sites.

Is there a repeater or signal booster at San Jose's Caltrain building near Coleman and Taylor? The CC seems to get strong in about a 1/4 mile radius.

Not that I'm aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.