2013/14 - MOSWIN- (PLEASE USE 2015 Thread if NEW subject)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Please post any related questions and information here.

Please be sure to see the 2012 and 2011 threads for additional information.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
FOIA Request Follow up

Ok, Just to let all you. the MOSWIN System Admin denied my request do to it being a senstive name according to the Missouri Statutes. I am I do not have the exact stautes to site.

But Hey at least I tried right,.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Testing

TG 3511 heard testing in the StL area about 5 days ago. Sorry for the late post. Believe this is Region C interop. Will this TG be used the same as Pt to Pt? 155.370?

AB5ID

Help for a last minute trip

I am planning a trip from Kansas City to Branson. Is there a map of towers with the control channels for MOSWIN?

Should I load the tower control channels and run ID search or should I load the tower control channels with talkgroups and run ID scan for the best scanning?

Many Thanks,
Steve

talkpair

Here is a good map of the sites:

Moswin Sites

You can click on the push-pins to get the site names.

Unfortunately, the frequencies listed on the pop-up are the mobile inputs and not the control channels.

Jot down the site names along your route, then look up the control channels on the Moswin database page.

AB5ID

Thanks! For the route I’m taking, I plan to load:

Massman 170.51250c
Dayton/Aaron 154.90500c
Deepwater 169.77500c
Wheatland / Hermitage 161.92500c
Fair Grove 161.88750c
Hurley 169.88750c
Branson 161.87500c

Would leaving the scanner on ID search be fine or would there be an advantage to loading talk groups?
Hopefully I can get some towers on an external 2 meter 1/4 antenna.

talkpair

Myself......I think I would leave it on search.

This sounds like the equivalent to the GRE's Wildcard talk group.

Even with my home setup, I listen to everything on the system and only create a talk group when I want to lock it out.
Instead of creating a white-list, I created a black-list.

Because the number of agencies on Moswin is low, scanning this way works great. In addition, you may discover some talk groups along the way that aren't listed in the database.

The disadvantage to this style of scanning is that the talk group numbers won't be tagged with a name when they are active. I don't see this being a big problem because the majority of users are very good about speaking their agency/department name as well as the talk group name.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I have done some traveling myself across the state and I have used the SEARCH mode to pick up any and all currently used TG's. You can keep a pad of paper handy to write them down as you hear them. Safely of course. Please do it safely. When you reach your destination you can ID them from RR.

I have noticed some of the site locations can be a bit tricky to find. Some towns are so small you can not find them on a state map or even Google maps. And one or two sites I was looking for some time ago were listed in the wrong county. Just a heads up.

And if you can, use an outside antenna. On my 396xt the difference in fringe areas is very apparent. Much better reception with the outside antenna.

Have a safe trip.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
You may also want to try adding a few fringe area sites along the way. Some sites are more powerful and may be heard better then a closer one. Just take an MO map and track your route and add as many as you can. Just a thought.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin

BaLa

Someone was using TG 24604 Earlier this afternoon..

I have a hard time picking up MOSWIN (Bates County Tower) inside the House...but going to setup my scanner and see if I can figure out who is using it.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
!!!MOSWIN Map!!!

Wow! How coooooool! I may just have to go "old school" and make sure I have full cartridges on my printer and make my own copy. Thanks Terry for a great job.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
No messages

It has been almost a month since someone posted a message here for MOSWIN. Is there really that little going on around the state? I will be the first to admit that in the StL area it is pretty boring listening to TG's 5 and 7 nearly 98% of the time. It is great listening, but getting boring. As a statewide system I thought we would hear more. Anyone know of any agencies going online with MOSWIN soon? Or any news in the works. With the bad weather we have had the last week or so I was thinking it would be nice to hear MODOT snowplows on MOSWIN at some time soon. Guess agencies like that are not moving over.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
You're probably not going to get much new info until new users go online with it. Also they typically won't do a lot of testing in the winter.

iamhere300

It has been almost a month since someone posted a message here for MOSWIN. Is there really that little going on around the state? I will be the first to admit that in the StL area it is pretty boring listening to TG's 5 and 7 nearly 98% of the time. It is great listening, but getting boring. As a statewide system I thought we would hear more. Anyone know of any agencies going online with MOSWIN soon? Or any news in the works. With the bad weather we have had the last week or so I was thinking it would be nice to hear MODOT snowplows on MOSWIN at some time soon. Guess agencies like that are not moving over.

Although MODOT and Conservation have MOSWIN capability for a lot of their vehicles, they are retaining their legacy systems for now until funding and operational issues are worked out. The conservation agents should all have their radios by now.

Remember, MODOT and Conservation are their own entities with only minimal intervention by the state.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
MOSWIN Usage

In south central part of the state there is quite a bit of usage...I live about 20 miles west of Rolla and have Troops D, F, and I are mostly all on MOSWIN, Rolla PD, Phelps Co. Sheriff, Maries Co. Sheriff, Laclede Co Sheriff and Lebanon PD seem to be full time... Rolla City Fire is listed on MOSWIN website as full time user but haven't yet found what their talkgroup id is... not listed on RR and so far haven't found it with the "wildcard" setting on my scanners either.
Troop I dispatch talks to conservation agents all the time also... so apparently some agents have MOSWIN along with their legacy radio system.
During the floods in Pulaski County back in august MOSWIN was really busy with all the troopers and water patrol coming in to assist... it was amazing to be able to hear all the traffic from both sides (dispatch and in the field) when most of the time all you could hear on low band is the dispatch (unless the officers were close by, even with outdoor antennas)

kd0fmg

Premium Subscriber
Update on my MOSWIN experiences.

1. I have upgraded, yes, upgraded to a Uniden 996XT. In my opinion much better to use on MOSWIN than the GRE or RS P25 receivers.

2. I have found that the Pipertown site is weak. I now stay on Aullville full time and all of my county TG's have automatic access to the site regardless of affiliation so that is a HUGE ++++++!

3. I have heard conversations about a Troop A "Travel" Talkgroup. I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard anything like that in your Troops that you folks monitor.

4. Still no update on the 700Mhz site in Sedalia. Seems to be a funding issue as the site and full migration would be extremely expensive. A site has been unanimously chosen just waiting on the funding if it ever comes!

5. Any word on a X2 TDMA upgrade anytime soon?

6. The system map is awesome. To whomever created that, HUGE KUDOS TO YOU!

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
The St Louis area basically only has TG's 5 & 7 with occasional c to c traffic. Sometimes there is skip from Sikeston PD (or someone close by using that TG). Sometimes testing goes on but not much.

I agree the central part of the state is busier. My dad has a place near Bennett Spring (Laclede County) and as you stated pretty busy out that way.

Thanks for your report.

Status
Not open for further replies.