Video of the new BCD536HP in action

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Lindsay - Can you speak to any pre-existing digital simulcast issues known to nearly all existing radios and/or if the new radio handles it any better?

I'd love to see a side-by-side of a new radio vs. any existing radio that demonstrates improvement.

tilt404

Disappointed with the new models. Nice upgrades to get with the times, but Uniden forgot it seems of all the new systems in use out there now. No DMR, NXDN, LTR Passport, which were some of the things I was hoping for here. Feels like they only caught up to where my GRE PSR-800 has been for quite a while now. So not really interested in either new model.

vividvisions

Lindsay - Can you speak to any pre-existing digital simulcast issues known to nearly all existing radios and/or if the new radio handles it any better?

I'd love to see a side-by-side of a new radio vs. any existing radio that demonstrates improvement.

I second this. Being in Baltimore (which I'm sure you're familiar with) reception is..ugh. Would love to see improvement.

scannerowner

Lindsay was scanning a P25 system and it sounded crystal clear to me! It almost sounded like analog... I can't wait to see if there's a difference between Phase II and Phase I.

vividvisions

Lindsay was scanning a P25 system and it sounded crystal clear to me! It almost sounded like analog... I can't wait to see if there's a difference between Phase II and Phase I.

Unfortunately in my area P25 can sound crystal clear and you can move your scanner to the left 5 inches and it's bad. ESPECIALLY near cell phone towers. I'm interested to see what (if any) changes have been made. Regardless, I am excited.

troymail

Silent Key

I can listen to P25 systems (Phase 1 & 2) right now "crystal clear" too but only with radios in stationary and specific locations. There's also some UHF P25 systems and even 380 kHz systems that I can receive well too. But those system aren't the problem and specific stationary systems just don't cut it.

I also believe the system Lindsay is showing is a Phase 1 VHF system.

Not really the same as trying to monitor a Phase 1 or 2 700/800 system.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I second all of the above concerns about simulcast systems. Bring that scanner to Phoenix and let me see it work down here on the Radio-hell Wireless (un)Cooperative. If this scanner can receive our monster simulcast system without issue then it will scan just about anything - not that there's all that much of interest to listen to that hasn't been encrypted, but that's another rant.. Anywho, back to the topic at hand...

As for NDXN, DMR, etc. it'd be nice if this unit included a built in discriminator tap that I could port audio from directly to decoding software like DSD. The amount of money Uniden would save on repairing busted radios from inexperienced noobs trying to tap their scanners would be worth the extra cost of doing this and then some. Built in DMR would be even better, since many private business radio systems are now DMR, including many hospitals and shopping malls, but I have a feeling that a download for that will be coming in March. The hardware is definitely there now - it's just a matter of adding the codec and logic to the firmware to support it.

If no one else has done it by the time the radio becomes available I will get one (it will be the handheld though - I want one I can take with me places) and put a video up of a side by side comparison with my trusty old BC796D to see what improvements were made and how much better (or not) the new scanner does on the infamous RWC trunked system. I'm reasonably certain that the difference will be night and day. It would almost have to be for Phase II to have any reasonable prayer of working properly.

Looking forward to this new unit. I think the new scanners blend the ease of use of the HP-1 with the more powerful features of the 396/996 line very well. Congrats to Paul and his team for coming up with a winner in my book!

-AZ

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
I second all of the above concerns about simulcast systems. Bring that scanner to Phoenix and let me see it work down here on the Radio-hell Wireless (un)Cooperative. If this scanner can receive our monster simulcast system without issue then it will scan just about anything - not that there's all that much of interest to listen to that hasn't been encrypted, but that's another rant.. Anywho, back to the topic at hand...

-AZ

I don't know what it is you're listening to, but I can hear plenty. The only encryption issues I run into is with hot calls with Phoenix PD and Border Patrol but everything else like Tempe, Scottsdale, Mesa, Chandler and MCSO are clear.

You've got me concerned now, though, about it's compatibility with RWC...

AZScanner

I don't know what it is you're listening to, but I can hear plenty. The only encryption issues I run into is with hot calls with Phoenix PD and Border Patrol but everything else like Tempe, Scottsdale, Mesa, Chandler and MCSO are clear.

You've got me concerned now, though, about it's compatibility with RWC...

Yeah, I asked on another thread if the new radio was tested in Phoenix. No response. I don't know how exactly to interpret that. Either it was and no one is allowed to say so, or it wasn't and no one wants to admit that. ;)

-AZ

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I asked on another thread if the new radio was tested in Phoenix. No response. I don't know how exactly to interpret that. Either it was and no one is allowed to say so, or it wasn't and no one wants to admit that. ;)

-AZ

Lol. Hopefully one is being tested in the Phoenix are or on a system similar to RWC. I'd hate to spend that much money on a new radio only to discover it doesn't do a very good job with our systems.

AZScanner

Lol. Hopefully one is being tested in the Phoenix are or on a system similar to RWC. I'd hate to spend that much money on a new radio only to discover it doesn't do a very good job with our systems.

Well I'm willing to take the gamble. My current scanner is one of the original digital scanners to roll off the line over ten years ago. It's time to upgrade anyway. ;)

I have a feeling that the reception won't be perfect but it will be better than the 796 I currently own. So long as that's the case, I can live with that.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.