BCDx36HP Sentinel Software & Siren App Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Like a new kid around Christmas time, I've been seeking out all I can find about the new scanner models, even downloading and looking at the Sentinel software.

I'd like to suggest that the moderators create a sticky on the BCDx36HP Sentinel Software so that as those of us who tinker with this software have questions, they can be in one place. I imagine there will be many to come up as time goes along.

Thanks

Edit to add links to Sentinel Software

Uniden New Scanners Info Site

Sentinel software program companion to the BCD436HP/BCD536HP.

Uniden BCD436HP & BCD536HP Owners manual in Adobe Acrobat PDF format

Last edited by a moderator:

jcgutmn

Will there be software for Apple Computer OS?

In different threads at different times those of us with Apple computers have wondered if software will be developed to operate on Apple computers running the Apple operating system and not MS Windows. Drivers so Apple computer users can download firmware revisions would be appreciated. Hoping BCDx36HP software will run on Apple computers some day.

SCPD

QRT
I would second that motion.

After playing with the Sentinel software for hours last night, I have a long list of questions. Having this stickied I think would be helpful.

My main question is however, can I re-write system names or create new systems like I do in Pro Scan with the XT line?

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
That's a good question - whether XT data in Freescan, etc. will translate to the what looks like the HP-style new radios. I really like the memory management of the 996 and 396, and I'm not a fan of the Home Patrol style where the primary way is zip-code-load-everything with the secondary "favorites".

Given the ability of firmware, it would be nice to someday see a user choice via firmware and software of what type of memory management you want to do.

I had to buy a new Blu-Ray player this weekend, and was amused to see the "Powered by Java" and wondered when someday scanner hardware would be powered by Java. Imagine the possibilities!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I would second that motion.

After playing with the Sentinel software for hours last night, I have a long list of questions. Having this stickied I think would be helpful.

My main question is however, can I re-write system names or create new systems like I do in Pro Scan with the XT line?
Max,

Yes, you can re-write system names, talkgroup or conventional channel names (they use the longer 'description' field instead of the 12 character "display" name field listed in the database), as well as rename "Departments", which are basically the same as groups in the DMA scanners (396T or -XT, etc).

You can also create a completely new system, trunked (in any 'flavor' the scanner supports), or conventional.

All of this is done at the Favorites list level. You can't edit the main RadioReference database; that's updated weekly anyway, so any changes there would be overwritten.

If you like, I'll forward you an email, with screenshots, I created for another member, showing that, also has a favorites list for Dallas. pm me if interested.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Done. :)
Please contain all BCDx36HP Sentinel software discussion in this thread.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Max,

Yes, you can re-write system names, talkgroup or conventional channel names (they use the longer 'description' field instead of the 12 character "display" name field listed in the database), as well as rename "Departments", which are basically the same as groups in the DMA scanners (396T or -XT, etc).

This is a great feature of the new scanners...

From the 436/536 owner's manual:
Data Naming – Allows you to name each Favorites List, System, Site, Department, Channel, ID,
Location, Custom Search, and SAME group, using up to 64 characters.

64 characters is AWESOME... No more cryptic channel names and abbreviations. :D

phask

Premium Subscriber
Looks VERY similar to Sentinel for HP-1. Of course the profile has features just for the xx36hp. Be nice to see one piece of software for both in the future.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Would love to see Apple & Uniden teamed up and some how Uniden programming will also support Apple's Mac OS X.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
I don't see a way to import HP-1 favorites lists. Any chance that will happen (or that I missed it)?

Thanks.

...R

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I don't see a way to import HP-1 favorites lists. Any chance that will happen (or that I missed it)?

Thanks.

...R

File->Import from hpe file.
Just like it was with the HP-1 Sentinel. :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Thanks.

...R
Export your HP-1 list(s) as *.hpe files, import them into the BCDx386Sentinel program. Both the import & export items are under the File menu on the main Sentinel screen.

You would need to then edit in the x386 program, to add your quick keys, number tags, led alerts, and any other feature not common to the HP-1. As noted in another thread, apparently location control defaults to 'off' during the import, so you may reset that as well if needed.

(KE4ZNR typed a bit quicker :wink:)

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Uniden Siren App

I would like to respectfully request a sticky thread be considered for the Uniden Siren App so questions and discussion pertinent to it aren't lost in the shuffle.

That said I would hope that all major platforms would be considered, iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone 8. I'm not clear, or I've missed due to the high volume of posts in various threads, whether all of these will have support.

Thanks!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

I second the motion. Siren app is one of the most interesting.... And least discussed... Features of the new Uniden scanners.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I would like to respectfully request a sticky thread be considered for the Uniden Siren App so questions and discussion pertinent to it aren't lost in the shuffle.

That said I would hope that all major platforms would be considered, iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone 8. I'm not clear, or I've missed due to the high volume of posts in various threads, whether all of these will have support.

Thanks!

Hey Scott. Considering how many sticky threads we have already I decided to create a combo Sentinel and Siren App discussion thread. Once the radios are released if there is enough discussion that warrants this thread being split off into separate threads we will
do that then.
Hope this is ok!
Marshall KE4ZNR

KC1UA

Database Admin
Hey Scott. Considering how many sticky threads we have already I decided to create a combo Sentinel and Siren App discussion thread. Once the radios are released if there is enough discussion that warrants this thread being split off into separate threads we will
do that then.
Hope this is ok!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Works for me. Thanks Marshall. :)

KC1UA

Database Admin

I knew I saw that somewhere, but couldn't relocate it, and thus my request to have a more pertinent thread. If what's included there is factual, that is not good news for me considering I use a Windows Phone 8.

I fully understand that the Windows Phone 8 platform is not nearly as popular as Android and iPhone, but it is in use and I hope that Uniden will consider providing an app for it as well if they haven't already. This is a feature I would likely use a great deal.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
When Sentinel downloads the latest RR database to my computer, where is it stored?

Status
Not open for further replies.